The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Do you have any questions regarding employment at Whistler Blackcomb?

Hopefully things will change by then and get better lol

Hey Jeremy,

Would you be able to shape them a question asking the possibility of (or any advice for) landing a resort job (preferably lift ops) if you’re not able to arrive till mid/late November and miss the job fair? My date of arrival is all dependent on an exam timetable which won’t be finalised until mid-October (dates ranging from November 9th till November 27th).

Cheers!

james88 - 18 March 2015 08:53 PM

Hey Jeremy,

Would you be able to shape them a question asking the possibility of (or any advice for) landing a resort job (preferably lift ops) if you’re not able to arrive till mid/late November and miss the job fair? My date of arrival is all dependent on an exam timetable which won’t be finalised until mid-October (dates ranging from November 9th till November 27th).

Cheers!

James - Lift Ops typically has a second employment drive around november/december depending on the season. i was in the same boat when i did my stint in lift ops - i arrived mid november and had to kick it for a while but they then hired more lifties as the season kicks off and they want to open Alpine lifts. So i actually started work a few days before Christmas.

Hey Jeremy,

Cheers!

Absolutely. Will do.

RhysL - 19 March 2015 03:55 AM

James - Lift Ops typically has a second employment drive around november/december depending on the season. i was in the same boat when i did my stint in lift ops - i arrived mid november and had to kick it for a while but they then hired more lifties as the season kicks off and they want to open Alpine lifts. So i actually started work a few days before Christmas.

That’s encouraging to hear, thanks man!

Can you ask them why their Yoghurt Parfait cups at ECBC are so damn delicious and can i get a discount considering i buy one almost daily when i’m bored at work.

KTHXBI

You missed the boat, Deano. LOL

I had two really good meetings with the Whistler Blackcomb Recruiting Coordinator and The Working Holiday Club Recruitment Manager for Australians and New Zealanders coming to Canada.

A lot of questions were asked and a lot of information was shared. I will be putting together an in-depth article which will be published in May. But I am happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Alysha, the Job Fair date hasn’t been confirmed yet, but it will most likely be the last weekend of October or the first weekend of November. As soon as the date is confirmed I will let you know.

Hey Jeremy,

Cheers!

Hey mate,

I asked about this and the general feedback was: it’s possible but your chances are significantly reduced. Most of the hiring gets done via agencies such as The Working Holiday Club and at the Job Fair. Positions will come up after the Job Fair but you need to be aware that they are random jobs that pop up for various and also for positions with a later starting date. There are less jobs available and therefor the demand for them is a lot higher. So while it’s possible it will work out, there is certainly no guarantee.

The Working Holiday Club could have been an option but I have been advised that their quota for Australians has already been filled for the coming season, specifically for jobs working for Whistler Blackcomb. One option which was discussed would be using The Working Holiday Club to try secure a position with one of the hotels, which is still currently available. If successful, you get a guaranteed job and guaranteed staff housing. However, a staff pass (season pass) is not included. You will either have to pay for your pass or get a Spirit Pass (cheaper but you need to complete some sort of course… I forget the details).

The other option is to consider another resort in Canada for this season and work towards getting everything sorted for Whistler Blackcomb for the following season. I’m not sure what your plans are exactly… just putting the info out there for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

RE: Spirit Pass

I did this, you just sit through a 3 hour seminar about Whistler at Millennium Place and you get $300 off your season pass. It’s that easy.

rider26 - 22 March 2015 01:47 PM

Hey Jeremy,

Cheers!

Hey mate,

I asked about this and the general feedback was: it’s possible but your chances are significantly reduced. Most of the hiring gets done via agencies such as The Working Holiday Club and at the Job Fair. Positions will come up after the Job Fair but you need to be aware that they are random jobs that pop up for various and also for positions with a later starting date. There are less jobs available and therefor the demand for them is a lot higher. So while it’s possible it will work out, there is certainly no guarantee.

The Working Holiday Club could have been an option but I have been advised that their quota for Australians has already been filled for the coming season, specifically for jobs working for Whistler Blackcomb. One option which was discussed would be using The Working Holiday Club to try secure a position with one of the hotels, which is still currently available. If successful, you get a guaranteed job and guaranteed staff housing. However, a staff pass (season pass) is not included. You will either have to pay for your pass or get a Spirit Pass (cheaper but you need to complete some sort of course… I forget the details).

The other option is to consider another resort in Canada for this season and work towards getting everything sorted for Whistler Blackcomb for the following season. I’m not sure what your plans are exactly… just putting the info out there for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Damm, My friend and are will be heading to Whistler Mid October to make the November Job fair however my girlfriend is in the same position as James where her exam period finishes late November so she will only be arriving at whistler on Dec 1st. Do you think I could possibly go around handing her resume out at the job fair as well and maybe try organise a skype interview or something? She not entirely fuss what she does except maybe being a lifty.

She doesn’t want to be a lifty? Missing out! lol.

There will be jobs, just need to find them. And if you have a job, it’ll be easier to get your other half in there.

TJswish - 24 March 2015 12:21 AM

There will be jobs, just need to find them. And if you have a job, it’ll be easier to get your other half in there.

She isn’t much of a boarder/skier. More coming along for the life experience. She loves hospitality so I think she wants to aim for a cafe/restaurant/bar etc.

furorsekka - 24 March 2015 03:20 AM

She isn’t much of a boarder/skier. More coming along for the life experience. She loves hospitality so I think she wants to aim for a cafe/restaurant/bar etc.

As TJ said, I think it definitely helps that you will be over there and can hand out resumes and organise interviews on her behalf. Definitely consider one of the hotels as well, as from what I’ve been told, the start dates tend to be a bit later and spots are usually open for longer. It can be done, but no guarantees (which is Whistler in a nutshell). WB has advised me that jobs do come up after the Job Fair but they are far and few between with higher demand.

That said, have you considered which type of accommodation you want to stay in? If you’re working for Whistler Blackcomb and staying in staff housing, your girlfriend will also need a full time position with WB to be able to stay in staff housing.

Thanks for that Jeremy! That’s definitely good news.
Yeah we have been looking at the different hotels, wouldn’t mind working for the Fairmont.

Yeah my friend, girlfriend and I have already paid a deposit for accommodation through Seasonit, so we have rooms in a lodge. Had a look at staff accommodation and decided to shell out a bit more for the perks. Also as you mentioned given our scenario it may be hard to find jobs with the same company and thus share accommodation.

Missing out on what? Standing around in the cold and watching everyone else have fun?

No thanks.