The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Part Season Jobs - Australia

Hey guys,

I know the Australian season is still months away (making me more jealous of all the North Hemi posts!) but thought you may all have some useful advice for me for my situation. Basically I’ve been forced into a semi gap-year due to failing a class at uni last year, preventing me from graduating. As a result, I’ve found myself with a heap of free time and non-stop applications for jobs which don’t seem to be getting me anywhere.

I thought it would be a good chance to work a season in Australia (most likely Perisher), however since I have to return to uni in the second semester (start of August) to re-take this one class I wouldn’t be available for the full season. I’ve already confirmed with Perisher that they require applicants be available through to the end of September which rules me out of any resort jobs it seems. Does anyone have any suggestions for employment for half a season? I’m guessing I would have to look more into roles in Jindy? I’ve got years of experience in retail, which I feel would be useful for work in a board shop but feel these kind of positions would be dominated by locals, returning employees and friends of current employees?

Cheers!

Hey mate,

Yep, I was going to say, most places and definitely resorts, will generally require you to be there for the full season. Obviously they need to fill the seasonal positions and have them covered for the season.

I think what you’ve said is pretty accurate. Jindy board stores will be harder to get into, especially considering you’re not there for the full season. That said, I’m sure there are other retail jobs and jobs around town that wouldn’t require such a commitment.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Any casual job will let you leave anytime.
Just don’t expect many hours a week would be my assumption.
Lots of bars hire on a casual basis, obviously they want you there over the busiest periods, but being casual, youmyou are allowed to leave anytime.  Kitchens do the same, usually. All the kitchen hands will be in a casual wage.

I would just bullshit them that you are there for the season, get the job and just quit when you are ready to go. What are they going to do about it? Not like your signing a binding contract. Its a job for 8 - 20 weeks depending on the season.

I’m with Azz. Say you’ll be there the whole season and then “get home sick”. What are they going to do?

And don’t be fooling yourself if you think they will help you out if there is no shifts at the start of the season… They expect you to be there and ready to go from the long weekend… wasting your money on rent and food while offering no work till the mountain opens. Snow resorts are some of the most brutal companies out there!

Was going to add that in, but tried to be morally correct… haha

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hahah yeah I did consider skipping out halfway through but thought that may risk some kind of black mark against my name, making it harder to return for when I actually can do a whole season?

Looks like I may have to do some ringing around and mass emails to different places to see if I can find something.

Cheers!

If you plan on returning I wouldn’t skip out. Unless its a legit reason obviously..
Try for a kitchen hand/bar/retail job.. Then you have more of a chance of not only getting in.  But also getting more time on snow… 

Also even a cleaning job a few days a week could work…

Good luck! smile

Try applying for jobs now!

Jobs that start now. I started at thredbo in Feb and worked til late Aug only.

You never know your luck.

And you will have a good 6mths on your CV before you ‘quit’

Yep, any bookings type role will start between now and start of april and will only go till August. They may even be keen on you leaving slightly early since they can still get by with only 1 person down.

Main downside to bookings is that you can get stuck in a small group, especially when 1/2 of that group likely won’t even go riding. And then dislike the season due to not having enough friends.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Since my last post I’ve emailed a few different board shops around Jindy - received a reply from one to fill out a questionnaire but haven’t heard back since returning that.

Just applied with Perisher for a lift position (most other ones I’d be interested in seem to have closed). Is anyone familiar with what kind of work schedule/roster the liftys are on?

In Canada we worked 5x8 hour days. Whistler do 4x10.

Since Aus snow is generally 8:30 till 5, +packup and ride down, it’d likely be 4x10’s and if you’re on front valley, that could include night riding.

I’d be surprised if they are still looking for lifties but good luck smile

I thought lifties worked like 6 days a week in Australia?

Maybe… That’s pretty intense though, 10 hour days 6 days a week? At least you’d save some money up lol.

Pretty sure Hotham do 6 on, 1 off.

TJswish - 05 March 2015 11:42 AM

I’d be surprised if they are still looking for lifties but good luck smile

Yeah that’s what I thought too man but it was still available for applications, whereas a lot of others are closed (assuming they’re already filled up).

That 4x10 sounds like a good gig! So in Australia they’re likely to work you more than 38 hours during peak?

Got a response from another shop in Jindy - hoping I’m lucky. Think I’d prefer that line of work, especially seeing as I already have my season pass lined up.