The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Riding Fast

skip11 - 03 February 2015 05:36 PM

@grunge: Why does speed doesn’t count for slope? You definitely need to go fast to hit the huge jumps. I would argue you would need more speed for slope than for cruising the groomers. And based on the videos, even when hitting huge jumps they are only going about 35mph (56kmh) on AVERAGE.

And yes I do have kind of a clinical approach to snowboarding. Even though I said there is no right or wrong in snowboarding, I do believe that there is a “proper” way to snowboard in that you have to learn the fundamentals (e.g. learning how to properly turn, pressing a board, etc.). I guess this comes from my background in basketball and lifting weights, I like to break things down. I guess I am a bit OCD even with my own riding (e.g. if I can’t get a turn or a butter looking a certain way I will keep doing that until I can make look it decent before I even progress to harder tricks even though I can already do said things).

Hahah, that was a nice Bataleon plug :D

I meant they don’t rack points up for speed when they score slopestyle. I mean you are talking slopestyle the event and not a friendly park ride thru?

Anyways, I believe there’s many different ways to skin a cat, some more conducive to certain ppl or at certain progression levels.
But there definitely are a few wrong ways to do things too. It’s all about context.

As an example, why do the L1 curriculum advocate using shoulders to control the board when L3 asks to open/use the hips?
Because it’s part of progression for a beginner that eventually goes into intermediate.
The same way that sometimes certain tricks are easier for some and not others.
So maybe a less clinical approach but a more contextual approach may help you progress faster? I dunno, but in any case, as I said before, to each their own, I’m happy when I’m snowboarding.

That and get a sled, then motorbike. =)

RhysL - 04 February 2015 07:37 AM

Get outta your head and into your boots.

That really resonates with me, Rhys…

There are 1001 ways to snowboard. Without getting all existential and hippy-like, snowboarding is a way to express yourself, I guess. Personally, I don’t give a shit HOW you ride, as long as you’re having a good time doing it!

Quit over analyzing everything about snowboarding and just have fun.

lulu_in_canada - 04 February 2015 08:47 AM

\

Thanks Lu! you can find more inspirational lines like the one we’ve seen here at http://www.rhystalksalotofsmack.com.au/howdoeshecomeupwiththisshit

thinking

haha but seriously-  my ability (or lack there of) is only 1 small part of what makes snowboarding awesome for me. Friends, pow, sunshine, rain, snow, no snow, park, broken wrist, it all adds a certain je ne sais pas!

Wow lots of different POV’s in here!  Personally I like going fast, always have and probably always will to a certain extent.  With that said there’s a time and a place for everything and I try to listen to my body a bit more than I used to when I was younger and if I’m not “feeling” something I generally don’t try to force myself to do it anymore, the consequences of my actions tend reside in the forefront of my brain a lot more these days.

Last season my single favourite way to start the day was a couple of cruisy runs down smigs front valley to warm the legs up and then just straight line bomb it for the next ten.  Nothing wakes you up both figuratively and literally than a few butt clenching moments in the plus 90kmh range.  Racing Dyldo we were both going that quick that going over the top of rollers was basically weightless and then hitting the flatter section in between resulted in big compression Gforce that on one run left Dyldo compressing so hard he had nowhere left to go but onto his arse, sliding out.  Pretty sure Dydlo’s GPS tracker app registered just shy of triple digits a few times doing that stuff.

After doing that for an hour or so I’m set for the day, the confidence is usually pretty high and I’m awake, alert and riding on a little bit of an adrenaline high and apart from being fun it’s funny as shit as well.  In terms of improving my riding I would say without a doubt it does, as others have mentioned, you pick your lines, concentrate on you’re edging and you’re hyper aware of the terrain when you’re flatbasing.  I reckon aprt from Dyldo’s rails, his riding at speed was the single biggest improvement in his riding last year both on and off piste and that would be down to bombing runs.

Maybe some other don’t harbour desires to hit big kickers and what not but I still do a little and if you’re not comfortable riding down a groomer at 60kmh you’re never going to be able to be comfortable hitting or landing off a 50ft kicker.  I remember watching T Rice in TITA and the one thing that struck apart from the size of the airs was the outright stupid speed they were hitting the kickers at while still being comfortable and in control.

There are 1001 ways to snowboard. Without getting all existential and hippy-like, snowboarding is a way to express yourself, I guess. Personally, I don’t give a shit HOW you ride, as long as you’re having a good time doing it!

Wow you sound mad. What’s wrong with analyzing? Isn’t what this forum is about discussing things like this? And I am having fun snowboarding, just because I like to over analyze thing like you said, doesn’t mean I’m not having fun.

^ Analyzing is good, over analyzing is no good coz it saps the fun out of it.

Like how I became doc about the binding angles. Wasn’t fun at all.

So, 100% with Rhys and Lu there.

The best times I’ve had snbrding is with ppl of the same mindset to share the pleasure with and it felt so good boarding with you gaiz in Whist, coz up until about then, I haven’t had much ppl with similar mindsets to do it with.

Anyways, since you want to analyze, let’s do an analysis of Rico getting a sled, and then a motorcycle.
Pros: Will help him improve on snowboarding.
Cons: NONE WHATSOEVER.

@NBG: Cool. Nice to see another POV on this matter.

“if you’re not comfortable riding down a groomer at 60kmh you’re never going to be able to be comfortable hitting or landing off a 50ft kicker. I remember watching T Rice in TITA and the one thing that struck apart from the size of the airs was the outright stupid speed they were hitting the kickers at while still being comfortable and in control.”

Yes, I do agree with you on this. Luckily, I have no desire to hit a 50ft kicker but I am comfortable riding groomers at 60kmh (not sure if the comment is directed at me or not). Travis and those guys are insane, the speed they’re hitting those cheese wedges are crazy.

@grunge: Hahah, will not ever happen.

I don’t think your over analyzing binding angles saps the fun out of it, that’s why we have these forums. We don’t really talk about this stuff while riding.

Anyways, I feel like some people really don’t like having a good discussion about this topic and don’t really care anyway. So I will end my posts here.

skip11 - 04 February 2015 11:33 AM

@NBG: Cool. Nice to see another POV on this matter.

“if you’re not comfortable riding down a groomer at 60kmh you’re never going to be able to be comfortable hitting or landing off a 50ft kicker. I remember watching T Rice in TITA and the one thing that struck apart from the size of the airs was the outright stupid speed they were hitting the kickers at while still being comfortable and in control.”

Yes, I do agree with you on this. Luckily, I have no desire to hit a 50ft kicker but I am comfortable riding groomers at 60kmh (not sure if the comment is directed at me or not). Travis and those guys are insane, the speed they’re hitting those cheese wedges are crazy.

No not directed at anyone in particular, more just an observation that taken to it’s fullest meaning is that if you harbour desires to hit big kickers you better get yourself comfortable at big speeds. 

In terms of speed I have always always found that ppl tend to exaggerate their speeds and to certain extent the GPS trackers aren’t oo great with this.  I’ve done runs with Dyldo where my tracker topped out at 78.9kmh I think 3 times in a row whereas Dyldo’s went up into the 90’s.  Not sure if that was a shortcoming of mine, maybe it topped out at that speed as it’s primarily designed for fitness eg: running, rowing, cycling etc whereas Dyldo’s was a snow centric tracker app.  I know for me that it felt a shitload faster than 80kmh so I’d be inclined to go with Dyldo’s result however I have no idea what was accurate.

This topic is getting more and more open lol. It’s almost not about going fast any more and has become about training vs. practice LOL

Obviously from an instructors point of view, I’m going to say that training is very important.
You simply cannot learn all there is to learn by just bombing hills or just shredding without ever thinking or learning about it.
But any instructor/trainer/coach of anything also knows the importance of getting lots of practice in all areas “All areas” being the important part here.
Speed is one of those areas. It is something that must be practiced in order to improve it and allow other areas the chance to improve as well.
Still, keep in mind that I said speed is ONE area. One of many!

If you want to be a particular type of boarder, practice that one thing and the things that aid it.
If your aim is to be an all round snowboarder, practice god damn everything! There’s nothing not worth practicing in my opinion (if you want to be an all round rider).

LOOK OUT, I’m gunna drop another analogy:
Think about 3 different fighters.
A Karate Black Belt, a Kick boxer and a street fighter.
They all have different styles and they’re all good to watch in different ways.
But put them in the ring and what happens?

Karate vs. Street: Karate guy throws some beautifully formed kicks and punches before getting knocked out cold because he’s never been in a real fight (I’m talking about the training only Karate dojos). Street fighter’s style looks ugly as hell but still kicks his ass because he actually fights.

Street vs. Kick boxer: Kick boxer has tonnes of training but has also been in tonnes of fights, so they are both ready to brawl, but the kick boxer soon beats him down with technique and knowledge of how to move around the ring.

Get what I’m putting down here? If being the best rider that you can be is your goal…
Balance training and personal practice evenly. Otherwise you will just be practicing the same stuff over and over again. It’s potential limiting.

I like this point…

grunge - 04 February 2015 08:38 AM

So maybe a less clinical approach but a more contextual approach may help you progress faster?

Yes it can be opened as broad as you like with idea that everyone develops differently, but the basis suits my thoughts on learning and progression - any trick that makes you more comfortable on a board and ride better is a benefit.

Back on fast riding, without turning this into a proverbial measuring contest, what is everyone’s top speed?

I honestly wouldn’t know what my top speed is. I’m guessing pretty fast.

Rico, I was thinking about it today while I was riding. Riding fast and pumping terrain is super important. So many times I would bomb a face purely to get speed to carve or do tricks over rollers or pop off side features. The speed is actually essential. I would even go to say that some things are even harder to perform well when riding slower. Speed makes you so stable for carving, getting airtime and landing, and even butters and spins.

I think….

F__k it go fast.

RhysL - 04 February 2015 09:17 AM

Thanks Lu! you can find more inspirational lines like the one we’ve seen here at http://www.rhystalksalotofsmack.com.au/howdoeshecomeupwiththisshit

I was very sad that this URL didn’t exist michelle

skip11 - 04 February 2015 11:19 AM

Wow you sound mad. What’s wrong with analyzing? Isn’t what this forum is about discussing things like this? And I am having fun snowboarding, just because I like to over analyze thing like you said, doesn’t mean I’m not having fun.

I dislike speed in general

However I mentioned before, that’s when you also do other things with speed such as buttering at high speed, carving (proper full arc) at high speed, boosting huge on side hits ala Terje. But when I see people ride fast most of the times, they are not doing all those things. They are just riding fast, with mini turns here and there. Only the really good ones actually do all those stuff above. I guess that’s just my main gripe.

But, high speed carving is something that I wanna improve at, we should do that sometime

Rico, I’m gonna be straight here and I’m not trying to flame an argument, or open a can of worms.

The way I interpret your above comments, and others throughout this topic isn’t overly positive, to be honest. The way I hear you is basically like this:
“I don’t like going ‘X’ speed, which is faster than my comfortable speed of ‘X’. Some other people ride at speed ‘X’, but they aren’t even doing tricks like pro ‘Y’. Speed ‘X’ is only important during ‘Z’ comp or activity, but only pro ‘Y’ can really do it. So, because I don’t like going fast, I don’t understand why anyone would either.”

It sounds like you’re spending your time on the hill analyzing everyone elses actions (everyone else does include me) and that brings down my stoke, if someone is watching and assessing my riding, without me asking for them to do so. It makes for a bad time, and doesn’t make me want to ride with you, to be honest.

You put so much effort and energy into learning your euro carves, and that’s downright awesome. I love people getting into it and feeling hyped on their PERSONAL progression. But, if someone kinda prodded about how they didn’t think carving was useful to snowboarding and they didn’t like doing it…I’m sure you’d sit up and pay attention. And rightfully so.

What I’m getting at really, is that all snowboarding is frikkin awesome snowboarding! Whether you’re 2 years old or 62 years old, it’s awesome. Whether it’s your first day sliding, or your 1000th day sliding, that’s also awesome. Whether you enjoy euro carving, speed bombing, tree riding, park slaying, pow slashing…it’s all AWESOME. Don’t judge or analyze others.