The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Riding Fast

Andy Aitken - 04 February 2015 12:01 PM

Balance training and personal practice evenly. Otherwise you will just be practicing the same stuff over and over again. It’s potential limiting.

Well said, I am completely down with this approach.

skip11 - 04 February 2015 11:40 AM

@grunge: Hahah, will not ever happen.

I don’t think your over analyzing binding angles saps the fun out of it, that’s why we have these forums. We don’t really talk about this stuff while riding.

Anyways, I feel like some people really don’t like having a good discussion about this topic and don’t really care anyway. So I will end my posts here.

I’ll be straight and say that it does sap the fun out of it because when I see misinformation being perpetrated as fact its not cool. It turns me into doc, or at least a green large monster that loves to smash, and I don’t like that.
But ppl want to have a discussion on it. I dunno man, it’s like opening a can of worms. Coz you gotta be ready of what’s in that can when you open it up.

As for discussion I think we’re open to most discussion, but maybe a closer look at the language you use for posts may help.
Because when I re-read the thread from start, you seem to say “well no offense to ppl that like fast, but I just don’t see the point in it.” and then go on to list the reasons why it’s no use going fast.
Maybe you don’t mean to, but that’s how it comes across.

Anyways, the bottom line of this is that at the end of the day ppl here just wanna snowboard.

And eat sandwhiches.

And ride motorbikes and sleds, and you should too.

grunge - 04 February 2015 11:21 PM
skip11 - 04 February 2015 11:40 AM

@grunge: Hahah, will not ever happen.

I don’t think your over analyzing binding angles saps the fun out of it, that’s why we have these forums. We don’t really talk about this stuff while riding.

Anyways, I feel like some people really don’t like having a good discussion about this topic and don’t really care anyway. So I will end my posts here.

Anyways, the bottom line of this is that at the end of the day ppl here just wanna snowboard.

And eat sandwhiches.

And ride motorbikes and sleds, and you should too.

+1 on this andy. especially sleds. and motorbikes.  (my kinda S&M…haha)

come on back rico, you can’t peace out from your own thread! we’ve all got different points of view and no one will agree - This is the essence of a good discussion!

@rhys and grunge: ““well no offense to ppl that like fast, but I just don’t see the point in it.  “and then go on to list the reasons why it’s no use going fast.
Maybe you don’t mean to, but that’s how it comes across.”

I never said it’s no use, I apologize if that how it comes across. I just don’t see the point in it and I wanted to know why. Because I have friends (none here) that like to go fast but no offense to them, they don’t really do anything else but bomb runs.

I’m cool with different opinions, but all I’m looking for is replies like Jez, Andy Aitken, and NBG, explaining the benefits etc. instead I feel like I get the vibe “it doesn’t matter, do whatever you want and have fun”.

rider26 - 04 February 2015 06:00 PM

I honestly wouldn’t know what my top speed is. I’m guessing pretty fast.

Rico, I was thinking about it today while I was riding. Riding fast and pumping terrain is super important. So many times I would bomb a face purely to get speed to carve or do tricks over rollers or pop off side features. The speed is actually essential. I would even go to say that some things are even harder to perform well when riding slower. Speed makes you so stable for carving, getting airtime and landing, and even butters and spins.

Thanks Jez. This is like the reply I was hoping for, explaining to me why speed is important.

@Lu: Thanks for being honest. And I will be honest too. I do like analyzing and watching other people. I like to pick their brains and watch them what they’re doing right, what they’re doing wrong. And I rarely assess people riding and tell them what to do. Sure here and there if we’re talking about doing a trick or whatnot (e.g. when I’m doing eurocarves with Dan and we have different technique of doing it) but I don’t tell people what to do. I rode with you, I never tell you what to do and judge you. I look at people’s riding for my own benefit. I’m sorry if it brings down your stoke. Unless we’re practicing a certain trick when have I ever said to you “hey this is how you should do it”. I only remember doing that with Dan and Andy when we’re practicing euro carves. And they give me feedback too on other things, which I appreciate.

I like to geek out about snowboarding whether it’s gear or riding. It’s not just about riding fast. I analyze and watch how people do turns too and why some people do certain stuff. That’s just how I am and how I learn.

Jez and Dean has said to me they don’t personally care for doing nipple dragging carves and I’m totally fine with that. The main point of this thread is not that I am against riding fast but the REASONING/WHY behind BLAZING fast speed (e.g. the difference between 50kmh and 90kmh).

I’m sorry if I came across the wrong way everyone.

^ The one tip I have for you not to do that (by re-reading this thread a fair few times,) is by not discounting somebody else’s experience.

This is snowboarding, there is no 1 right way to do things. Maybe it’s because of your PT background (which you said in an earlier post,) but for snowboarding (just like some parts of lifting,) you need to understand that there are actually different methods to learn and execute things.

This is what makes snerberding kewl, that so many ppl can get so stoked on doing 1 thing because how person A does it is different to person B.
But they get the same results!!!

Just because you didn’t get what you want from person X, there’s no need to discount them because their experience isn’t invalid.

If you have friends that like to only bomb runs, well then you have to take it up with them and ask them why.
As a group we’ve all explained the reasons that we go fast individually, only to get it discounted, “but no offense.”

Well it is offense, because you don’t see me ragging on someone because they’re not as good as me or don’t like trying to get over 116 as a season goal.
I could call them weak, scared or unable to get speed, but I don’t. Because that what it’s not about.
I know they have a different progression goal to me which involves something else, and I’m cool with that, as long as they love snowboarding. It’s true!!! SMILE! IT’S SNOWBOARDING! isn’t only a bataleon plug!
Why?
Well, let me ask you, are you smiling when you’re snowboarding!?!? I know I do, and I know many others that do too!

To bring an old hash tag back, well you know if you’re stoked on snowboarding, well, #IllRideWithYou

tl;dr - S&M, S&M, S&M, S&M!!!!!

skip11 - 05 February 2015 05:09 AM

@Lu: Thanks for being honest. And I will be honest too. I do like analyzing and watching other people. I like to pick their brains and watch them what they’re doing right, what they’re doing wrong. And I rarely assess people riding and tell them what to do. Sure here and there if we’re talking about doing a trick or whatnot (e.g. when I’m doing eurocarves with Dan and we have different technique of doing it) but I don’t tell people what to do. I rode with you, I never tell you what to do and judge you. I look at people’s riding for my own benefit. I’m sorry if it brings down your stoke. Unless we’re practicing a certain trick when have I ever said to you “hey this is how you should do it”. I only remember doing that with Dan and Andy when we’re practicing euro carves. And they give me feedback too on other things, which I appreciate.

No probs, Rico - I got honesty for daaaaaaaaaays.

The thing is, there is a distinct difference between say, watching someone and thinking “they had good style/technique because of X, Y & Z reasons. I want to emulate that”, compared to then “that person is doing things all wrong and I’m going to quietly judge them”.
I’d MORE prefer you spoke up to me and told me flat out what you think. That then gives me the ability and right to either say “thanks for your feedback”, or “well, that’s nice, but I am not looking for your feedback right now”.

As we are learning to progress certain techniques, skills and tricks, most of us are hard enough on ourselves, that we don’t need to be affirmed that others are analyzing us too. That’s not fair - especially when that person may not understand my goals, or have less qualifications, skill or experience to me.

There are some people here I have ridden with, who I really respect and trust their qualifications, experience, perspective and skills. So far for me, those people are Jez, Andy A, ZoĆ«, Rhys and dare I say it *coDANugh* (although that can be a touchy one wink ). If I come to you and outright say “hey can you tell me if I’m doing anything wrong/have bad habits/how to do X trick/assess my riding”, then that is an open invitation on my part, to receive some feedback and constructive criticism. I just personally don’t like that people feel they have the right, the experience and the ability to judge quietly, when they might not know others’ goals.

I hope that clears it up!

@grunge: Of course I smile when I snowboard =). Yes, I did ask them why. Maybe it’s just my wording that makes it sound I’m offending them or you guys to an extent. In my Indo culture, we don’t really find that offensive or degrading by any means. An analogy is if I meet my friend and they gained weight, I say “wow, you’ve gained weight, why don’t you train?”. I don’t consider that offensive or judging. That’s just how I always talk.

So to everybody that felt offended, I apologize.

@Lu: Thanks for letting me know that you’d prefer me to speak up. I am a quiet person and I don’t really speak to anyone unless asked to or it’s really bad (not just in snowboarding). It’s just how I am. In snowboarding, in the gym, in basketball, computer games, I automatically look at people and just analyze them “why are they doing that, is that right, uhh that’s wrong, that’s awesome”. To me personally, it’s not judging or assessing. That’s why I was confused on why you sounded a little mad. It is not my intent to judge people, it’s my natural thing to do.

I hope that clear things up Lu.

^ lol, looks like I don’t identify myself as Indo anymore.. LOL.

I think a more accurate analogy to how it looked is:

You’re at a gym doing your thang, then your mate just comes up and tells you, “Why are you doing it like that?” then after you explain because it’s how you were taught by the school etc etc, they say “Well Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn’t do it like that.”

Like I said, you prolly don’t mean to but that pretty much discounts everything they’ve said.
But hey, at least now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

P.S. S&M? At least rent one. Com’on. Plus you have friends that have M in Indo right? =D =D =D

Rico. I literally can’t even.

Seriously.

An analogy is if I meet my friend and they gained weight, I say “wow, you’ve gained weight, why don’t you train?”. I don’t consider that offensive or judging. That’s just how I always talk.

Oh dear me. Oh dear indeed.

Just don’t. Please don’t say that to anyone.

@Lu: Lol, that’s literally how we talk. So if I said something in that tone don’t take it to heart. Different culture. You’d be surprise how many stuff that we say, that a lot of westerners took into offense when we literally didn’t mean to insult/offend them.

@grunge: In your analogy, I can easily argue that all day (like why Arnold does it that way) but let’s not go there =). But back to your point, I don’t really understand this “Like I said, you prolly don’t mean to but that pretty much discounts everything they’ve said.” But whatever, it’s not important, I’ve explained myself.

At least you guys now know my POV.

All this arguing… but not from the usual people that argue about things. It just feels weird oh oh

Despite getting a little heated I still think this is a great thread.
It seems to have opened a lot of minds to both sides of the argument (including my own).
I’m changing my opinion on this stuff all the time, so it’s rad to get everyone’s perspective.
It’s good to keep the gears turning.  thumbsup

@grunge: I don’t think any of my buddies have an M in indo ahaha. Nobody rides motorcycles lol.

@andy a: Yeah for sure, despite all the heated arguments there are definitely some good points in here shred

skip11 - 05 February 2015 01:10 PM

But whatever, it’s not important, I’ve explained myself.

At least you guys now know my POV.

THERE’S the problem:

You’ve explained yourself.
And that’s enough. Because you know my POV.
And we’re done. No need for your POV. *sigh* whatever, I’ve already explained myself. 

Hang on. I thought this was a discussion?
A discussion requires more than just a singular input.
Sorry bud, I’m gonna say it straight, only selfish spoilt ppl think like that. Because they don’t have the ability to think pass anything other than: “me me me me me me me me me me me me me ME.”

If you can’t understand what I’m trying to explain to you. Then I think we best just leave it at that because no matter what gets put out here, no good can come of this line of conversation.