The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Time to get my own board!

Hey everyone, So i’m looking at getting my first board with hopefully getting a lifty job this season.
I’ve already spoken to TJ and have been given some info from him but when you are just starting out you can never have too much info.
So i’m 155cm and weigh around 65kg, i’m at an intermediate level so i’m looking for an all round board as I don’t really know what I prefer.

Anyway any help would be amazing.

Hi Leasha,
Welcome to Boardworld !

Don’t get too hung up on getting the ‘right’ board, yes a bit of research and maybe a demo will be helpful, but whatever you get…you’re bound to love it.  I had a stiff traditional cambered board for a few years and was sure I wouldn’t be able to ride anything else.  I was a bit intimidated by different bindings, different stances, different lengths, different flex and different camber profiles.
Then I did a demo week…swapped out high end hire boards every day, sometimes multiple times a day and discovered a little about the boards, and a lot about me smile
Whatever you get will be awesome and you’ll love it to bits.

Having said that there’s a few things to think about.
Do you want to play in the park or are you more of a free rider?
Have you hired any boards you particularly liked?
Are you going to be riding on a lot of ice? (Ie:Aus)
What is your budget?

Personally I hate the channel system that Burton has - 3 boards in this family with it and every one has failed eventually.  So they were out for me.  I also look for a bit of ice grip tech for boards I ride in Aus (magnatraction or the Yes Nipple).  I also like hybrid cambers at the moment.  Some people think they are ‘jack of all trades, master of none’ boards but I love mine.  I’ve had a couple of regular camber boards and the hybrids give me the edge control I’m used to with a touch of the playfulness of a rocker.
As far as bindings I hate high highbacks - hate!  Finding a short highback can be arduous.

Ticking all those boxes for me right now is my latest board.
A Yes Hel Yes with Now Bindings purchased right here on Boardworld.

You’ll find your perfect match before long, and I wish you many hours of safe and fun riding on her shaka

Hey,

Thanks for the help,
Well i’m looking for an all mountain board and for now it’s going to be for Aus snow. I was looking at a Burton nug 2014, I’ve only hired two boards and they were really heavy and I feel it was too big for me so that wasn’t a good experience. If I get a lifty job I won’t have time to try different boards nor be able to afford it.

As for a budget I was thinking it’s going to cost me close to $2000 for everything board, bindings, boots, pants, helmet, board bag and goggles. So having said all that i’m thinking around $400 - $500 for a board. 

I’m sure I will find the perfect board for me LOL

Consider getting a board with TBT instead of magna-traction, I find that they’re more useful on ice, and is just forgiving as rocker boards but having the snap of camber.

Just my 2c.

Hey Grunge,

As an owner of a Lobster Jibbaord with TBT, I have to point out my biggest downfall of them is they don’t hold wax. I literally had to wax mine 2-3 times a week or it would be white. As a lifty, this is too much effort. Where as a weekend warrior it’s not so bad.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey grunge,

As i’m new to the tec of snowboards I will look up what TBT and everything else people have told me to look at in a board.

Thanks for you help grin

TJswish - 15 January 2015 08:48 PM

Hey Grunge,

As an owner of a Lobster Jibbaord with TBT, I have to point out my biggest downfall of them is they don’t hold wax. I literally had to wax mine 2-3 times a week or it would be white. As a lifty, this is too much effort. Where as a weekend warrior it’s not so bad.

Just my 2 cents.

That’s a good point TJ I don’t want to get a board that will be a pain in the ass with my job.

Hey Grunge,

Just my 2 cents.

That’d be because it has an Extruded base rather than the TBT tech (Triple Base Technology/3BT).
The alternative Leashy is a Sintered base, which will hold the wax better/longer.

The cliff notes are:
the Extruded bases are cheaper, easier to repair, as a poorly maintained board it will ride better than a poorly maintained sintered base board.  Sintered bases are faster when well maintained, hold the wax better, but can be harder to repair damage and if poorly maintained will struggle.
As someone who waxed one Extruded base and 7 Sintered bases last week - I’d rather do the Sintered ones any day.  No difference in difficulty in waxing between the rockers/cambers/flat and Hybrids.

My 2c on the ‘ease’ of maintenance aspect.
And I’d recommend waxing it yourself.  Small investment in a dedicated iron (not the one you do your clothes with), a scraper, brush and some wax - and you’re away!  It’s not hard to do.

LMB - 15 January 2015 09:16 PM

Hey Grunge,

Just my 2 cents.

That’d be because it has an Extruded base rather than the TBT tech (Triple Base Technology/3BT).
The alternative Leashy is a Sintered base, which will hold the wax better/longer.

The cliff notes are:
the Extruded bases are cheaper, easier to repair, as a poorly maintained board it will ride better than a poorly maintained sintered base board.  Sintered bases are faster when well maintained, hold the wax better, but can be harder to repair damage and if poorly maintained will struggle.
As someone who waxed one Extruded base and 7 Sintered bases last week - I’d rather do the Sintered ones any day.  No difference in difficulty in waxing between the rockers/cambers/flat and Hybrids.

My 2c on the ‘ease’ of maintenance aspect.
And I’d recommend waxing it yourself.  Small investment in a dedicated iron (not the one you do your clothes with), a scraper, brush and some wax - and you’re away!  It’s not hard to do.

All this info is very helpful, once I finally do find myself a board i’ll have to learn how to look after it, waxing it etc so thanks a lot for telling me everything

Not really, I had a forum scallywag with an Extruded base and it was never this bad. The TBT puts contact on the snow mainly with the small edge area that’s raised so it’s just that part that wears out. I’ll put up a photo to show.

But agreed on the Extruded / Sintered issue. Sintered bases are definitely higher tech.

TJswish - 16 January 2015 09:04 AM

Not really, I had a forum scallywag with an Extruded base and it was never this bad. The TBT puts contact on the snow mainly with the small edge area that’s raised so it’s just that part that wears out. I’ll put up a photo to show.

But agreed on the Extruded / Sintered issue. Sintered bases are definitely higher tech.

Interesting.
All the Extruded bases I’ve worked with have had a fairly mellow camber or reverse camber - not TBT.
I haven’t noted particularly that there are high wear points on the Sintered bases of more pronounced hybrids - but then I haven’t done more than 2 weeks straight on icey pistes and the boards always get a wax when they come home.
It makes sense there’d be high wear points.
It’s something I’ll look for in future - a wear pattern - when waxing.

(Sorry Leasha…that’s a slight highjack… But it’s all info you should consider when thinking about what board you want.)

Throwing it out there though, TBT is (for the sake of a better word) different.

After you get used to it over a day or 2 it’s really easy to ride and do things with but is slightly less responsive than a standard board. I do find it really wobbly over boxes though.

^ That slightly less responsive is due to the lifted side points, which means you have to “edge in more” to get your carve/edge points in. (Not that you didn’t know that.)

I find that I have to “exaggerate” my edging to carve in.

It’s funny that you’re finding it more wobbly on boxes, I actually find it more locked in, and the rep I was speaking to when I demo’ed the board said the same thing. Maybe it’s your jib style…?

I prefer TBT for park work personally.

And yes totally agree wit’ you on the board being thirsty for wax and why. Bataleon actually sells the wax in 2 sets, one for side base and one for the center base. 
http://www.bataleon.com/tuning

I’m curious as to what the difference is, but I personally just wax more of the side more often.

Moved this thread to Equipment and Products.

I replied to your PM, Alysha. I think I wrote a small novel haha. wink

Guys, please remember that Alysha is looking for advice for her first snowboard. I love all the tech talk but please try to keep it on topic (after I ask Grunge one question haha) so we don’t make this thread too confusing for her. All good, I just don’t want it going to far off topic. Thanks. cheese

* Please feel free to start a snowboard tech thread. I love talking about this stuff. thumbsup

grunge - 15 January 2015 08:29 PM

Consider getting a board with TBT instead of magna-traction, I find that they’re more useful on ice, and is just forgiving as rocker boards but having the snap of camber.

Just my 2c.

I’m wondering why you would find TBT more useful on ice? Technically, the sidecut is no different from any other board. TBT only refers to the base profiling.

rider26 - 16 January 2015 12:41 PM
grunge - 15 January 2015 08:29 PM

Just my 2c.

I’m wondering why you would find TBT more useful on ice? Technically, the sidecut is no different from any other board. TBT only refers to the base profiling.

Gosh, make your own thread already! raspberry

Personally it makes no difference to me. As you said, the sidecut is the same.