The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Risks associated with using cameras in cold/snowy environment?

Hey all,

I’ve never really used a dslr in snow before and have just relied on a crappy point and click, but I’m thinking of lugging my 600D around on my back if we get any bluebird days when in Hokkaido in Feb. Just wondering if the extreme conditions can be problematic (apart from cold affecting battery life).

Is there anything I need to know so I don’t ruin my camera? Obviously it will be in a padded case etc.. I’m just more worried about cold and moisture.

Cheers!! shaka

I carried mine around in my camera bag in Whistler and was fine. NEver got damaged.

In terms of use in the cold; mine sometimes got snow spray on it and a bit of moisture from condensation, but it didnt cause any troubles. Mine is a 650D. The one thing that I did have a little problem is the lens fogging up when it was coming from a warm bag to the below zero air.

A technique I have used to avoid this when shooting night star trails/time lapses in the snow is to use the hand/toe warmers and just elastic band it to your lens.

Carry a lens brush too, so you can dust off any powder from the camera without melting it with your warm hands.

Seeing your camera isnt weather sealed, I recommend not getting it sprayed by big white walls of Japow LOL

Great idea with the heat pack haha smile

Brush is definately not something I have so will look into getting something suitable. shaka

just look on ebay for lens cleaning kit. good to have anyway and will be cheap. usually comes with clean spray, cotton swabs, brush etc

get a lenspen and a blower. I used to bring along a corner of a sponge for the lens in case I got sprayed.
You don’t need to worry about the camera going from indoors to outdoors, just when you come back inside, it will fog up. I just unzip the camera bag and leave it in a corner of the room. The warm air will eventually seep in and warm up the camera slowly.

This ^^^

I carried a SLR camera for years and years and never damaged it on Snow. I also didn’t have that much issue with fogging.

I would also suggest getting a UV filter to protect your lens if you haven’t already.

If you are going to be active with your camera there is a higher chance of damage and scratched UV Filter is easier to replace than repairing a lens!

I took mine out on the snow one day and took some photos in sports mode and had no problems with it.

Got these:

Yeah, good one Ozgirl - uv filter for sure on all your lenses

UV filter on all lenses and a towel, lens pen and blower. I just wrap mine in a jumper, i usually take shots backcountry so cant take my camera bag as i need my BC bag for safety gear etc.

I have been sprayed many time, just blow it off or dry with a towel.

Don’t be scared to take the camera with you. I take my camera everywhere, i have had it in -30 conditions at whistler with no issues. The only thing is that the lithium battery depletes quicker the colder it is.

All these were taken in various conditions, some freezing, some warm, some snowing

Cool thanks all smile

Biggest risk for me so far has been cold hands, well actually cold entire body standing around trying to get the perfect photo!

I did get some fogging of my lens while up empire state building (making the photos useless) but it was very wet and cold that day and I didn’t have anything on me to clean the lens.

Other times I’ve been using sheets of ice/snow/rocks as a make do tripod and haven’t had any issues.

I’m not using a case just have it slung over my shoulder or wrist and occasionally put the lens cap on.

DRC did you get a UV lens for yours?

Sounds like I need to buy a UV filter raspberry

I’ve always tried to keep my camera cold so it doesn’t fog the lens.
Eventually got in the habit of riding with it in my hand. I’ve broken a few lenses in backpacks when they’ve knocked a pole, tree, person or under my weight on ice.
At one stage I used one of those small camera cases that go around your neck/shoulder, BAD IDEA! it swung around during a fall and compressed 4 ribs into my chest, at the time I thought it punctured a lung but they were only dislocated, bruised and cracked.

Used my D70 in snow, sleet and rain for many years and the camera body is still working (it’s even had long lenses snapped off it) though it is renowned as being a super tough housing.

In wet/snowy conditions, I use a stubby holder (wetsuit material) with the bottom ripped out around. Slide it over the lens housing. Stops the moisture getting into the AF mechanics.  And when you put your camera away and pull out a beer, well….you’re sorted!