The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

boards for firm snow/hardpack

Hi guys! I’m after a new all mountain board that is good for firm, icy, hard pack snow (i think camber is probably the best for this type of snow). I’m not fussed for brands (i currently have a Burton) so i’ve been considering Rome, Stepchild, Ride, GNU or Nitro. Any thoughts? or any other brands that could fit what i’m after? I’ve only ever owned Burton (and love the brand but wanted to look elsewhere). also, i’m an intermediate rider smile thanks!

Can I recommend boards with edges designed to grip, like magnatraction or the bumps on YES edges.

I’ve owned a K2 Luna, Burton Troop, Roxy Eminence and Yes Hel Yes.
I’ve demoed about 5 times that many.

The Roxy and Yes boards have ticked the edge hold on ice for me.

However if you get the chance, doing a demo is the best way to work out what suits you.  thumbsup

thanks @LMB! i’ll definitely demo some boards if i can…

I was lucky enough to win a Yes the Greats on Boardworld this year.
I picked a 156. I weigh 75kg, touch over 6’ tall. It was firm and fast (bulletproof) yesterday morning first out and the board was amazing. Can’t recommend it enough.

I swapped with Wildman so he could have a blast on it, jumping on his T.Rice with magna it felt like the board had marbles under it, loose as all hell. Mind you, he does do a lot of rails…...

Mod note: We’ll leave this thread here for the day and then move it the appropriate section later on smile

Yep, Camber or CamRock is the go!!!!!

Side quizz, how’d ya find ya FLUX’s on the Greats, Azz????? (As compared to the NOW’s)

I agree with what LMB said, look for a board with magna traction.

That being said, it’s a bit of a love/hate thing with them I find.
Great for ice and hard pack, easy to catch edges otherwise.

My g/f kept catching edges and falling and hates magnatraction, and I have another mate who told me that with magna, it’s stop or go, no light braking or inbetween.

I’ve never used one, but seeing as I just got a Jones with a mellow magnatraction (3 waves instead of the usual 5 or 6,) I’m curious to see if I’ll like it.

I found that the best board I have for hardpack and ice is my bataleon with TBT.

grunge - 22 September 2014 08:51 AM

My g/f kept catching edges and falling and hates magnatraction, and I have another mate who told me that with magna, it’s stop or go, no light braking or inbetween.

I’ve never used one, but seeing as I just got a Jones with a mellow magnatraction (3 waves instead of the usual 5 or 6,) I’m curious to see if I’ll like it.

I found that the best board I have for hardpack and ice is my bataleon with TBT.

The catchy edge is more so from the C2 Profile!!!!!

While some people rave about boards like the TRice, I personally hated the CRC Profile as it was very unpredictable on Hardpack when you’re flat basing!!!!!

Magnetraction might have a bit more grip, but I’d put more into just havin a nice sharp edge is where it’s at!!!!!

Welcome to Boardworld, lyndaNZ. cool smile

The following points will give you increased edge hold:

1. Camber between your feet. Camber gives you edge hold and stability. The more camber in the profile, the more edge hold you will have.

2. Keep your edges well maintained. I would suggest buying a gummy stone and/or fine diamond file. Keep your edges sharp and in good condition by removing burrs after riding. Never underestimate the performance of a clean, sharp edge!

3. Edges with Magnetraction or similar (different brands use different marketing terms) are basically just serrated edges designed to cut into the ice better. They do work for this job, however overall I think the above two points are more important.

If you would like some board suggestions, we need to know your height, weight and boot size to start with.

Mizu Kuma - 22 September 2014 09:06 AM

While some people rave about boards like the TRice, I personally hated the CRC Profile as it was very unpredictable on Hardpack when you’re flat basing!!!!!

Magnetraction might have a bit more grip, but I’d put more into just havin a nice sharp edge is where it’s at!!!!!

Interesting you should say that Miz.

I caught a lot of edges with the first two boards - obviously I was more of a n00b then anyway, but they were regular camber.
Moving into the Roxy with the CRC hybrid I LOVED it.  Felt so much more predictable and I wasn’t over steering the turns anymore….it was suddenly a rare thing to catch an edge.

I was a little nervous that the CAMROCK of the YES would do as well (I lurved the Roxy)...but it did all that and more.
I was actually squirreling the board along a cat track saying ‘holy s##tballs I cant catch an edge if I try!’  And yet it held strongly when it needed to.

Can you tell I’m in love…  heart

Mizu Kuma - 22 September 2014 09:06 AM

Interesting you should say that Miz.

I caught a lot of edges with the first two boards - obviously I was more of a n00b then anyway, but they were regular camber.
Moving into the Roxy with the CRC hybrid I LOVED it.  Felt so much more predictable and I wasn’t over steering the turns anymore….it was suddenly a rare thing to catch an edge.

I was a little nervous that the CAMROCK of the YES would do as well (I lurved the Roxy)...but it did all that and more.
I was actually squirreling the board along a cat track saying ‘holy s##tballs I cant catch an edge if I try!’  And yet it held strongly when it needed to.

Can you tell I’m in love…  heart

Catchy Edges on Cambered Boards are easily sorted with a proper de-tune of the Contact Points!!!!!

With C2, it didn’t make any difference to that squirrelly unpredictable feel with them de-tuned!!!!!

That unpredictability was where the unsuspecting was caught out!!!!!

Don’t get me wrong, the C2 works great in Powder/Spring Slush, but when it’s Hardpack, you have to be on your game 100% otherwise you’ll eat snow!!!!!

Just my experience with the Lib TRice!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 22 September 2014 10:22 AM

Catchy Edges on Cambered Boards are easily sorted with a proper de-tune of the Contact Points!!!!!

With C2, it didn’t make any difference to that squirrelly unpredictable feel with them de-tuned!!!!!

That unpredictability was where the unsuspecting was caught out!!!!!

Don’t get me wrong, the C2 works great in Powder/Spring Slush, but when it’s Hardpack, you have to be on your game 100% otherwise you’ll eat snow!!!!!

Just my experience with the Lib TRice!!!!!

Which is basically the same board as the Roxy Eminence.

I’m on the 155 in Japan and love it, but wasn’t so stoked on how hard my brain had to work on hard pack in Aus.
I though it was the length…. LOL maybe not! 
Whatever it is, the Yes Hel Yes was by far the easiest ride I’ve owned.  I can’t wait to get it out there without a broken arm to really test it!  And see what it can do in powder…. The Roxy might be collecting dust!  flushed

I love CamRock as a profile!!!!!

While it might not work as good as Rocker or CRC in powder, the CamRock (RCR) still works damn good, and even better everywhere else!!!!!

And by the looks of it, we’ve got another convert in you, LMB!!!!!  cool smile

Mizu Kuma - 22 September 2014 08:47 AM

Side quizz, how’d ya find ya FLUX’s on the Greats, Azz????? (As compared to the NOW’s)

I only had half a day with the NOW’s, so hard to compare….... yet.

I love the flux binders, no complaints at all. I think the NOW’s had a tighter fit around the heel cup and talking to Dylan, he hated them because of that.

Shall report back next season shaka

Azz - 22 September 2014 12:57 PM
Mizu Kuma - 22 September 2014 08:47 AM

I only had half a day with the NOW’s, so hard to compare….... yet.

I love the flux binders, no complaints at all. I think the NOW’s had a tighter fit around the heel cup and talking to Dylan, he hated them because of that.

Shall report back next season shaka

Cool Beans!!!!!

Be lookin forward to ya report!!!!!