The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nutrition/nutrient Geek Thread

Hey kids…

The boy wants to put on 10kg’s… making all sorts of excuses about how hard it with life on the road…

told him I would make stuff and put in my freezer for him to take in the car.

Was thinking of making ‘egg muffins’ you know pour a fritatta/quiche like mixture into muffin pans (no crust..)

But was also thinking of making real muffins. but calorific/nutrient filled ones…

thoughts/ideas?

ozgirl - 10 October 2014 01:07 PM

Hey kids…
The boy wants to put on 10kg’s… making all sorts of excuses about how hard it with life on the road…
told him I would make stuff and put in my freezer for him to take in the car.
Was thinking of making ‘egg muffins’ you know pour a fritatta/quiche like mixture into muffin pans (no crust..)
But was also thinking of making real muffins. but calorific/nutrient filled ones…
thoughts/ideas?

I vote no to “real muffins” but I’m not a big fan of paleo treat baking or GF labeled stuff in general.

I’ve made egg style muffins a number of times tin lined with bacon or prosciutto, spinnach, egg etc. They are a nice snack but they aren’t going to suddenly add 10kg to his frame.

I’ll have a think of some stuff later but in general you’ll want him eating big hearty nutrient dense meals (3 meals a day don’t let him fall into the silly 6 meals trap and we won’t worry about intermittent fasting yet) with plenty of healthy fats, butter, full cream milk (if he tolerates dairy) avocado, safe starches (sweet potato, white potato and white rice once again if he tolerates it) good quality sources of protein such as grass fed beef, pastured pork, lamb, wild caught fish, eggs, free range chicken (but not too much) and loads of vegetables.

On top of that he’s going to need to lift heavy things a few times a week and integrate some sprinting into his weekly routine.
10kg of lean muscle mass is a pretty big ask (although if he’s never trained you do get some impressive newbie gains initially especially if he hits the compound movements and doesn’t neglect legs)

As you know I quit the gym a couple of years ago now and prefer to concentrate on functional fitness and bodyweight training rather than overall bulk and I generally feel better for it so also something for him to consider.

Not making him paleo or GF stuff. Making him the real deal.

He already trains he just needs to eat more!

Being on the road his boss rarely stops for lunch so he skips meals frequently.

So I want to make him stuff that can go in the freezer - so a nutrient dense muffin which will defrost during the morning and he can eat while driving.

I may have to drag him down your way for you two to chat!

Or its your turn to come my way!

ozgirl - 10 October 2014 01:50 PM

Not making him paleo or GF stuff. Making him the real deal.

He already trains he just needs to eat more!

Being on the road his boss rarely stops for lunch so he skips meals frequently.

So I want to make him stuff that can go in the freezer - so a nutrient dense muffin which will defrost during the morning and he can eat while driving.

I may have to drag him down your way for you two to chat!

Or its your turn to come my way!

Haha in that case no even worse still vote no to muffins! LOL

In general skipping meals is bad (until we enter the realm of IF) and his metabolism is probably shot. What’s wrong with packing a big ass salad with a large tin of tuna he can crack open to have with it while on the road.

Got to get going soon but another on the road idea would be scotch eggs but I’d still like to see some salad/veges added. Esky/Cooler bag with a few ice packs will make it safely to lunch.
http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/05/17/scotch-eggs-a-k-a-protein-pellets/

Got any more details on his training? In a gym or more like what I do? For pure bulk he could look into a starting strength or strong lifts style program i.e big compound movements no silly ab crunches or brocep curls.

Why no to the muffins?

I don’t want to make sweet/treat like muffins. I want nutrient dense ones.

He can’t eat a salad and drive!

It needs to be food he can eat with one hand.

he does some martial art thing (can’t remember name) does a strength/condition class on Mondays and lifts. (i don’t really know the details… LOL)

He knows skipping meals is bad but he has no choice some days - I am trying to help.

Don’t worry he eats balance meals at dinner (at least what I cook him LOL!)

drc13 - 10 October 2014 02:01 PM

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/05/17/scotch-eggs-a-k-a-protein-pellets/

I love this idea!

ozgirl - 10 October 2014 02:31 PM

Why no to the muffins?

I don’t want to make sweet/treat like muffins. I want nutrient dense ones.

He can’t eat a salad and drive!

It needs to be food he can eat with one hand.

he does some martial art thing (can’t remember name) does a strength/condition class on Mondays and lifts. (i don’t really know the details… LOL)

He knows skipping meals is bad but he has no choice some days - I am trying to help.

Don’t worry he eats balance meals at dinner (at least what I cook him LOL!)

Sorry my bad just read your definition of a nutrient dense muffin i.e a fritatta or quiche so yeah that could work but once again will be very egg based.  I’ll dig up a few more options for you later.

Ahh you didn’t mention the one handed requirement!

In winter a chunky soup in a furnace could work.

Sweet potato, avocado, nuts, canned tuna, carrots etc are my standard on the mountain/hiking food.

Main thing I’m gathering is make sure he has a big breakfast with protein, fats, veges. Not cereal or toast.

Glad you like the scotch eggs idea just remember to chuck in some carrot sticks, kale chips, berries etc.

sauerkraut tastes good! do we keep it in the fridge once we start eating it?

Tambo - 24 October 2014 07:17 AM

sauerkraut tastes good! do we keep it in the fridge once we start eating it?

Yay, tasty, healthy and a hell of a lot cheaper than store bought!

Yes definitely keep it sealed in the fridge once you are happy with the level of fermentation as it slows down the process and keeps the probiotics alive.

Unfortunately I’ve been off the kraut for the past couple of weeks as I try to narrow down the skin reactions I’m having, still feeling nice and healthy overall though which I suspect has a lot to do with a healthier gut biome.

Enjoy!

Saw this in The Age today and thought the last paragraph was interesting..
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/kombucha-is-it-really-good-for-you-20141030-11e54r.html

“Only drink homemade kombucha if you are certain it has been properly brewed, and opt for a reputable, commercial brand when buying it bottled. To be on the safe side, children, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems should drink only the pasteurized kind.”

Just curious what your thoughts were? (Looking at you LMB and Dave!). What exactly would be risky about this in comparison to say, unpasturised cheeses?

So, you read the article, and it said this…
“The downside is that kombucha’s probiotics do not survive the pasteurization process, and drinking it unpasteurized, if it was not produced in sanitary conditions, may pose a food safety threat, especially for those who are pregnant or have compromised immune systems. Some of the reported side effects of excessive and/or contaminated kombucha consumption include stomach upset, acidosis, allergic reactions to the molds that can develop during fermentation, and toxicity from heavy metals from home-brewing in ceramic pots.”

Bit like if you eat roast chicken that was cooked in unsanitary conditions…
Or any other unsanitary prepared food.
Gotta tell ya - campylobacter infection is no joke!  A few years ago my athlete ate a KFC meal (peer group influence) 2 days before flying to Canberra to compete for his state….ummmm…his team mate boarded the flight while he was in hospital on a drip!

I’m drinking this stuff BECAUSE I have a compromised immune system.
I wouldn’t drink it if I was pregnant but there’s so much that’s off limits to preggo ladies these days. 

The statement that it gives a good dose of probiotics is what you want to focus on.  More and more research recently is uncovering that gut bacteria and more importantly the lack of gut bacteria has significant and awful effects on physical AND mental health.

So adding to the gut flora we’ve killed off with antibiotics and synthetic food products is a reallllllly good idea!
muscle

Thanks LMB! :D

I was interested in trying it for curiosity sake (and because you guys make it sound pretty appealing!) but I read the compromised immune system thing and wasn’t sure! My medication compromises my immune system and I know what antibiotics, medications, vaccinations etc. to stay away from but my rheumatologist never mentioned food to steer clear of..

I might just give it a go, doesn’t seem like there would be much of a point if it’s pasturised!

There’d be zero point if it was pasteurised - unless you’re a sadist!

As for interactions with medications - hard to say without knowing your protocol - but if you can take probiotics you could drink this.  I have been separating my Plaquenil from my supplements/Kombucha intake in the morning.  I’m keen on it bring wholly absorbed as I’m taking a 50% prescribed dose and after a week in the US can feel a flare brewing.

The only food/drink I really need to avoid on my medication (methotrexate) is alcohol, and I’m pretty bad at that :p it’s more just the compromised immune system part. Might check out the fancy supermarket for some fizzy goodness and see what it’s like!

Really should look at modifying my diet a bit more in general to exclude foods that cause inflammation but I just couldn’t give up tomato and capsicum!

And boo to flare ups! Bane of my existence!