The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nutrition/nutrient Geek Thread

drc13 - 15 September 2014 08:36 PM
Mizu Kuma - 15 September 2014 08:13 PM

Best thing I ever bought was a set of Globals!!!!!

My parents have globals and are also really happy with them!

LMB - 15 September 2014 08:20 PM

I like the broth smell but my boys hate it.
Hubby said today ‘peeeeeuuuuuuuu! That sauerkraut stinks, so glad I made you put it in the garage’...I could barely smell it and the scent was pleasant to me!  He’s not gonna like the Kombucha is he?! snake
I bought a Kombucha crock, starter and scoby today from a lovely lady a suburb away from me.  She ferments everything!  Was showing me all her concoctions, and she had these awesome jars with a one way valve that stops bubbling over spillage!
Hmmm….might need some more shopping…

Yeah I’ve heard bone broth smell can be polarising. I had a bad start back in the day as it was the first time I’d used my pressure cooker and released the valve a bit quickly and ended up with a fountain of bone broth that the bellagio would be jealous of! My apartment smelt like broth for a few days oh oh But now I have no problems with the smell just smells like cooking to me!

Haha he has a sensitive nose! The kombucha shouldn’t worry him as it doesn’t have much of a smell. If anything it’s a vinegar smell.

Yeah I’ve looked into the pickle-it jars, Some people love them some think they are a terrible waste of money. I’ve never found the need for them but have considered purchasing a big fermenting crock so I can do bigger batches but storage would be an issue.

Busy night of prepping/cooking for me.

Converted my whole cabbage I bought at the bowral markets into Sauerkraut (my hands are shattered!)

Pulled out the Mae Ploy Yellow Curry paste and knocked up a not so traditional combo of Thai Yellow Curry, loads of veges, cauliflower rice with Lamb Shanks!

LMB - 13 September 2014 07:44 PM

But I’ve got another question…few recipes I’ve seen say four days then it’s ready…is it better to be weeks?

Nearly forgot about this but this is why I recommend fermenting for at least 3 weeks

https://www.foodpreservationmethods.com/sauerkraut-kimchi-pickles-relishes/sauerkraut/fermentation
http://www.nourishingtreasures.com/index.php/2012/05/15/the-science-behind-sauerkraut-fermentation/

^thats clear.
Yep…well I need some for my mate by the end of the week so I’ll break that batch up into smaller containers and keep one going.  I’ll get the red cabbage done now that I’ve bought some new big jars (all the seals on mine were cruddy), I’ve got 2 cabbages and given they’re usually more robust and thick than green ones I reckon I’ll call tomorrow ‘hand therapy’ day wink

She ferments everything!  Was showing me all her concoctions, and she had these awesome jars with a one way valve that stops bubbling over spillage!

She does garlic? I thought that was a big NO! (Botulism). It breaks my heart to not use all our garlic. We have a couple of small braids left from last year. I peeled and froze a couple of bags, which took a while, by shaking in a saucepan. I didn’t think you could pickle/ferment garlic!

LMB - 15 September 2014 10:07 PM

^thats clear.
Yep…well I need some for my mate by the end of the week so I’ll break that batch up into smaller containers and keep one going.  I’ll get the red cabbage done now that I’ve bought some new big jars (all the seals on mine were cruddy), I’ve got 2 cabbages and given they’re usually more robust and thick than green ones I reckon I’ll call tomorrow ‘hand therapy’ day wink

Haha we’re all going to have bulging forearms after this! Put up a pic of the finished red cabbage as I haven’t made any yet.

I’ve found in the past that the flavour seems to progress quicker in small jars vs my larger batches. Whether that means it’s going through all the bacteria types quicker I don’t know but will be interesting to see how your little jars go vs your main one.

Tambo - 16 September 2014 07:30 AM

She does garlic? I thought that was a big NO! (Botulism). It breaks my heart to not use all our garlic. We have a couple of small braids left from last year. I peeled and froze a couple of bags, which took a while, by shaking in a saucepan. I didn’t think you could pickle/ferment garlic!

I’ve never done garlic but it looks like its definitely possible (and quite easy)
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/lacto-fermented-garlic-cloves-recipe
http://phickle.com/index.php/we-can-phickle-that-brined-pickled-garlic/

Technically botulism is a risk in most forms of fermentation/food storage but its a very very small % of problems if you take the right steps.

I’ve just had a glass of my first effort of a 2nd ferment flavoured Kombucha!
Can I just say…freaking awesome!!

My ‘Buch is firing!!  I am doing a continuous ferment and I am shocked at how fast it turns around.
If I dump in a litre of cool sweet tea at night it’s ready by morning. 
I’ve been draining off one bottle each evening before adding about a bottle and a half of fresh stuff into the top, so gradually increasing the quantity in the crock.  If I filled it it would take a week or so of fermentation to be useable, but by gradually increasing the quantity I can use it now smile
Very happy!

So…I’ve drunk it straight from the crock… Very nice.
I’ve sat it in bottles on the bench for 3 days to get more bubbly…even better.
And today’s effort was lemon zest and ginger slices added and let sit for 2 days before refrigeration.
Nice cold lemoney goodness…  drool
Even the kids might consume this…

Haha loving the Kombucha stoke LMB! shaka

That does seem awfully quick though (I usually give my buch at least 7 days) Have you been testing the PH of the Kombucha? No harm in drinking it early but you’d get a fair whack of sugar if it hasn’t been consumed during the process.

Out of interest is your final product fizzy? I’d like to get more carbonation after my 2nd ferment (I don’t add any extra flavours/fruits yet) but think the top of my bottles leak air so it’s not as fizzy as I would like.

Q.  How long should I brew my kombucha?

A.  Kombucha can be brewed from 7 to 30 days depending on personal preferences. While a longer brewing time results in a more cultured beverage, it also results in less sugar which makes for a more vinegar-like (less sweet) beverage. When you begin making kombucha, we recommend you taste the kombucha starting at day 7 (using a straw makes this easier) to determine at what point you wish to stop the fermentation process. Adding fruit or juice following fermentation can sweeten the kombucha.  Alternatively, you can add water to the finished kombucha prior to drinking to cut the flavor. Keep in mind that temperature will play a role in how quickly the kombucha cultures. During cooler months, the same degree of culturing may take a few days longer than it will during warmer months.

Q. How can I reduce the amount of sugar in the finished kombucha tea?

A. A longer fermentation process will reduce the amount of sugar in the kombucha tea. At the end of a 30-day ferment period, there is generally very little sugar remaining in the kombucha. It’s best to allow the mixture to start off with the appropriate amount of sugar as this will help ensure that the scoby gets enough food to culture properly.

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kombucha-tea-frequently-asked-questions-faq

Cheers thumbsup

It surprised me also.
My scoby has doubled in size already, it’s the size of a dinner plate covering the liquid beneath.  The original starter tea was very strong…so much so I reckon it could’ve take the varnish off my floors!  And there was about 2 litres of it, so the first addition of fresh sugared tea was consumed so fast that the next morning it was still too vinegary to be drinkable.
As I said, by just adding a small percentage of volume each day it is being consumed pretty fast.  Advice is that once you get it full you can remove about 30% each day and top up with 30% fresh at night, without any waiting other than overnight.

The plain 2nd ferment bottle was very bubbly, but the one with lemon and ginger less so.
I think I filled it too full.  It needs a good gap in the top of the bottle apparently.
I’m very keen to split the scoby in the future and take a separate brew in a jar to vinegar to use in salad dressings (sneaky mum).

I’ve been away for a week…consumed far too much alcohol, no Kombucha, no fermented foods…and I’m feeling pretty crap.
I kept up with supplements and with probiotic capsules but wow you can really feel the difference.  Here’s to a super clean week to clean the system!

On the plus side, I had filled my Kombucha pot with a lot of fresh tea before I left and my SCOBY is looking magnificent.  Even my son was excited by it’s growth after welcomes and cuddles the first thing he said was ‘Mum, check out your witchcraft mushroom!’

LMB - 06 October 2014 11:01 AM

Here’s to a super clean week to clean the system!

Yeah that will sort you out in no time! shaka

I’ve actually had a great couple of weeks eating really well and being active outdoors nearly the whole time doing a mix of snowboarding, walking, sprinting, surfing and paddle boarding all while getting a stupid amount of sunshine/vitamin D.

I’m just about to click over to 9 weeks of good health which is actually pretty massive for me (I would generally get sick at least once a month) which has allowed me to enjoy doing all the things I love as mentioned above.

Only issue I’m currently having is my skin getting a itchy rash/hives especially on areas that are rubbing or scratched. I suspect I’m having a reaction to something (potentially histamine) so I’m starting the process of ruling things out that may have changed in the past few weeks. Not the end of the world just a little uncomfy/annoying.

Have you taste tested your sauerkraut yet?

drc13 - 07 October 2014 10:31 AM
LMB - 06 October 2014 11:01 AM

Here’s to a super clean week to clean the system!

Yeah that will sort you out in no time! shaka

I’ve actually had a great couple of weeks eating really well and being active outdoors nearly the whole time doing a mix of snowboarding, walking, sprinting, surfing and paddle boarding all while getting a stupid amount of sunshine/vitamin D.

I’m just about to click over to 9 weeks of good health which is actually pretty massive for me (I would generally get sick at least once a month) which has allowed me to enjoy doing all the things I love as mentioned above.

Only issue I’m currently having is my skin getting a itchy rash/hives especially on areas that are rubbing or scratched. I suspect I’m having a reaction to something (potentially histamine) so I’m starting the process of ruling things out that may have changed in the past few weeks. Not the end of the world just a little uncomfy/annoying.

Have you taste tested your sauerkraut yet?

Yep.  First batch now in the fridge, 2nd batch (purple) still fermenting.
It’s good smile

LMB - 07 October 2014 10:42 AM

It’s good smile

Nice, tastes good and heaps better for you than the bottled stuff! So how long did you give the first batch? Think I’m up to 3 weeks on my spare batch now will probably give it another week to get all the goodness.

Was browsing in my local health food store and noticed they had live sauerkraut selling for $20 for 600ml. Makes my 3.8L batch quite a good return on investment!

drc13 - 07 October 2014 10:50 AM
LMB - 07 October 2014 10:42 AM

It’s good smile

Nice, tastes good and heaps better for you than the bottled stuff! So how long did you give the first batch? Think I’m up to 3 weeks on my spare batch now will probably give it another week to get all the goodness.

Was browsing in my local health food store and noticed they had live sauerkraut selling for $20 for 600ml. Makes my 3.8L batch quite a good return on investment!

Ummm…I think it was about 3 weeks.  The majority of that in small jars.

Speaking of weird stuff, the borf is now making kefir… It’s a yoghurt type thing, that multiplies! He’s got a farm going on here… I don’t like it (it’s alright, but I’d prefer natural yoghurt) but the other half reckons it’s healthy… Anyone had it?

A pic of his little pet:

Billy - 09 October 2014 06:51 PM

Speaking of weird stuff, the borf is now making kefir… It’s a yoghurt type thing, that multiplies! He’s got a farm going on here… I don’t like it (it’s alright, but I’d prefer natural yoghurt) but the other half reckons it’s healthy… Anyone had it?

A pic of his little pet:

Oi!  What you callin’ weird stuff Billy.  big surprise

I drink kefir yoghurt, but I don’t make it.
I buy it.
Gotta take shortcuts where you can mizu

LMB - 09 October 2014 07:07 PM

Oi!  What you callin’ weird stuff Billy.  big surprise

I drink kefir yoghurt, but I don’t make it.
I buy it.
Gotta take shortcuts where you can mizu

tongue wink

Hehe just kidding… I don’t mind sauerkraut and the like…. thumbsup

Billy - 09 October 2014 06:51 PM

Speaking of weird stuff, the borf is now making kefir

Haha welcome to the nutrient geeks club Billy’s Borf!

I don’t personally do Kefir (try not to drink heaps of dairy) but you can also make Water Kefir which I’m yet to taste but would be interested in.

Billy - 09 October 2014 08:49 PM

Hehe just kidding… I don’t mind sauerkraut and the like…. thumbsup

Haha it’s funny how it looks like we’re a bunch of fermenting fanatics when it really is such a small piece of the puzzle (I actually haven’t had anything fermented for a couple of weeks now but have been missing my daily kraut!)