The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ah the burn! Boot advice..

Background: Ok so I have pretty large feet, size 12 - wide and I have high arches.
Before I got them I put a lot of time into finding the right boot that fit comfortably for my foot shape and tried on everything under then sun, and I ended up with Burton Rampant.
They have seen about 10-15 days on snow.

When I first got them I wore them in a bit around the house and my first day in them they were a tad uncomfy for about 2 runs then they were sweet.

Since I got them back on this season they hurt for the first 2/3 runs of each day like an intense, burning sensation through the top part of my foot (like when someone shakes your hand with a very strong grip, like that but on my feet!)
But after those first few runs they are fine.
Is this a boot problem or is this my feet just adjusting to getting a serious workout? am I doing them up too tight? are my bindings too tight? Am I just a pussy?

that sounds a bit bumly.  I would only guess you have either laced the bottom part up too tight or even overdid on your ankle strap?  What lacing system do those boots have?

just normal laces, and a pull cord for the liner. The liner I do up pretty snug and the laces I don’t do up super tight

Are the foot beds kinda soft and flexible????? Especially around the Arch Supports?????

If so, a custom Moulded Foot Bed might be a solution!!!!!

Also agree that ya might be crankin down too hard on the ol ankle strap?????

hmmm its all pretty solid inside.
I tried playing around with the binding tightness but it doesn’t have much effect.

The weird thing is after 2/3 runs they are comfy and give me no problems so I think it might just be my own feet..

Yeah, burning sensations are normally due to circulation, and sometimes a warmup is all that’s needed!!!!!

Sometimes boot/binding can restrict blood flow, and a soft Arch Support can flatten the foot causin blood flow to be restricted!!!!! (Especially in someone with a High Arch as you mentioned)

StamfordKid - 21 August 2014 03:28 PM

Before I got them I put a lot of time into finding the right boot that fit comfortably for my foot shape and tried on everything under then sun, and I ended up with Burton Rampant.

Did this mean you got fitted properly? Or did you guys “try them on.”
Highly recommend getting fitted properly, from my experience of NOT getting it fitted.
Boots are not the place where you should be slacking on proper fit and advice, although it is possible to get someone who don’t know how to fit properly.

StamfordKid - 21 August 2014 03:28 PM

When I first got them I wore them in a bit around the house and my first day in them they were a tad uncomfy for about 2 runs then they were sweet.

Wearing them around the house does nothing for your feer or the boots to a certain extent.
This is the one main problem with boots. Essentially you’re trying to pack in the boots with movement on a board, and walking etc etc does not emulate it. The closest you’d get is when you put on a slight forward lean stance to try to get heel lift.
When walking with my boots I get quite a bit of heel lift, but when I’m strapped in charging down the mountain it’s fine, as this is the way/shape the boots are meant to take.

One thing you might want to think about is perhaps getting a custom fitted liner, like Intuition. Costs an arm and a leg, but will be well worth it. I’ve got flat feel and I am considering getting a full custom fitted liner when I’m back up in Whistler. Gonna set me back about 700 units tho’.

However, I would start by seeing if the boots will heat mold, or maybe it’ll pack in after a few more days of use….?
Otherwise, you’ll have to look at other options.

Definitely look into custom moulded footbeds. Any good snowboard store will do it.
I have had years of problems with foot pain (e.g. if my boots were tight enough for no heel lift, my feet would be killing) Instead of buying new boots, my snowboard shop recommended trying the custom footbeds - haven’t had a single pain in my feet since. Will be keeping them when I get my next set of boots, as well!

yes I got fitted properly by some knowledgeable guys in a few shops and I ended up with the Rampant in 2 different places so I figured they were the go.

I think maybe a heat mold might be a go and if no goof then a moulded footbed might be the answer.

Sounds about right if that doesn’t work think about a custom liner next.

You’ve definitely ruled out doing your bindings up too tight and your angles being right?  They can mess with your feet also.
I’d loosen the boots a bit and see how you go with that, I had an issue in December and it was exactly that, doing the lower laces a touch too tight.

You definitely need after-market footbeds, ideally custom moulded.

That should be your first step. It might solve most of or all your problems.

You can try Remind Insoles first if you don’t want to spend $200 on the custom moulded footbeds. Travis Rice swears by them. https://www.boardworld.com.au/remind (they are on sale).

Yeah, just loosen the lower part of your boot (where it hurts). Experiment with a loose liner and tighter laces and vice versa.
If you have high arches (like me) grab some remind insoles to give your arches proper support.
Yeah, you should definitely pick some up if they’re on sale!

This is from the email I got back from Remind when I was asking them which insole had the best support:

The CUSH and MEDIC both have a nice arch support as well.  The Medic is a little higher arch and is a pretty rigid insole as well.  It is a bit thicker in the forefoot area.  They both will give you a nice support.

Jez presents an option that we’ve all overlooked, which is the first option to be taken.
Let us know how you’re going with your option you’ve taken.

Also in going simpler, maybe look at having a looser lower lace area and locking in above the ankle.

You can try doing this by hockey lacing the top so it doesn’t slip and effectively locks the upper from the lower zone:
http://youtu.be/QbuCotDuRLM

thanks all. As I don’t think ill be getting anymore boarding in this season I might wait til next season and then have a play around with the lacing and then look into the above options if that doesn’t help..

Hey Dude,

I’ve been riding for about 20 years now and have the same problem that you have described. Like the others have said, it’s most likely due to blood flow issues in the feet. I like to have my boots and bindings very tight. After a couple of runs, when the pain gets too much, I like to unstrap and go for a 30 sec walk. After that I’m usually fine for the rest of the day.

Sometimes if I’m just crusing around I start with loose boots, then tighten them up a bit every run or so.