The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler house-share 2015 anyone?

Hey guys how’s it going…

I’m totally new to this board and I know this is a long-shot but I’m looking for a house-share with awesome people in Whistler from early January ‘15 til the end of the winter season. I’m clean, respectful and generally fun to have around the place, apparently grin I’m not great at cooking but I’d make up for that by washing-up and by sharing my awesome music collection.

I’m going to be travelling in South America until December then I’m looking for a base in Whistler to get out boarding every day and having fun in the village in the evenings with like-minded people, shout me up if you either have a place or are in a similar position yourself or if you know someone that might be.

I know that most people will be out there a bit earlier than January so if I end up having to pay for December whilst not actually being there then I guess I’ll just have to take the hit, I just want to avoid having to get a place on my own when I could be having the time of my life in a share!

Cheers guys,

- Adam.

PS: If anyone with local knowledge thinks that me relying on this as my Plan-A is a bad idea then please let me know and I’ll go to Plan-B…...Admittedly first I’d actually have to think of a Plan-B but then I’ll defo go to it grin

Welcome to Boardworld, Adam!

I’ll be completely honest with you as this will be of most benefit.

Most leases will start from November 1st, which as you mentioned, is not ideal. It means you will likely have to foot a two month bill unnecessarily.

For you to have the security of knowing you have a room, I feel you would probably have to commit and pay for these months ahead of time. Don’t take anyone’s word for it, because the second someone offers them money, they’ll give it to the first paying customer. It’s a mad scramble in Whistler for accommodation at the start of the season and rarely do rooms or beds stay free.

OK, so plan b and c…

Ideally, you should try to find someone who is going over for several weeks for uni break or whatever. A lot of Aussies make the pilgrimage over after school and leave around January time, I think. Try to find one of these people and see if you can take over their lease once they leave. I know this is easier said than done, but it’s certainly a valid option.

Plan c would be to wing it. The truth is, a lot of people bail on Whistler around January time, for the reason mentioned above and also injury or personal reasons. This is definitely the scary option but probably also the most valid. You just have to be willing to hustle and make it work when you get there. Have yourself covered for at least two weeks in cheap accommodation while you get sorted. My gut feeling is you will find something this way and won’t have to waste two months worth of rent.

That all said, where do you plan to work? Do you have a job yet? Another option would be to try get a job with the mountain. Again for the reasons mentioned above, jobs do tend to become available and you might land a job with Whistler Blackcomb… boom, you can probably get into staff housing this way. It’s not a guarantee but it’s once again a valid option. And you’ll definitely get the fun, shared experience you’re looking for this way.

^^^ this - listen to the master

Listen to the master!

Thanks for your input there mate it’s much appreciated.

I think what I’ll do then is book a couple of weeks at ‘HI’ and then like you say just keep a look out for other things becoming available after New Years.

Cheers.