The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Perisher Trip Report 19.7 - 21.7.14

All words and Photos: Surferguy56

So after all this epic snow fall for the month of July and after frothing out for weeks on end, checking every snow report i could find 5 times a day, I thought what a great time it would be to road trip to Jindabyne and treat myself and my girlfriend to a shred trip at Perisher.

We leave Sydney city around 1530 on a sunny Friday afternoon and hit Jindy around 1030, check into Carinya Resort just outside of town and get an early night..

The following day starts early, partly cloudy but mostly sunny all day! YES!!  After battling the peak hour weekend warrior rush up the hill, we arrive in the car park and what do we see not even 2mins in… At first i actually thought this might of been DylanV’s car.. Nope! It was Ozgirls mobile. Hahah! #nojez..

With the sun out and the conditions epic I get the 2nd time snowboarder girlfriend into a lesson and, feeling confident i make a B-line for Mount P to hopefully try and find some left over wind blow pow stashes.

With the sun poking its head through, i get to the Mt P triple chair and mission around getting some great lines in and also discovering a few wind blown pow stashes, success!!

Good times!! Feels great to be back on the board again!! Given the fact i hadn’t ridden since I was in Austria in 2012.

By this time Rowan has her first lesson wrapped up and is super stoked with the instructors and even went onto to book a private lesson for tomorrow!! The shred bug has hit! smile

We kick back mid morning with a coffee and a light early lunch before heading back out for round 2. I earn a few brownie points with the Mrs and try and do my best instructors impersonation and get her linking turns. She’s loving it!

I head over to the Coca-Cola park to try my rusty freestyle skills. The park is in amazing shape and all features are set up perfectly! The kickers are super poppy and the run in’s are dialled just nice, little to none speed checking required!! 

As im all about “baby steps” i start by hitting the jump on skiers right just to make sure i still remember how to do it.. A couple little straight airs and im feeling good.. By now ive eyed off the flat box.. (yours truly rockin the backside board slide below) 

By now I’ve put my big boy pants on and lining up for the bigger jumps. It feels good to fly again!! Shifty’s and tail grabs all round!

The rest of park is a series of super fun rails, down, kink and S types.

This is where i spend the rest of the afternoon, as i discover little miss shredder is all tuckered out and snoozing in the sun!

As the sun is starting to descend, my body is basically wrecked and in need of a beer or 10!

Saturday night!  Before i came down i managed to get my hands on some tickets for the Frenzal Rhomb and Bodyjar gig that was playing at The Station. Anyone who’s not sure who these bands are, they’re two iconic Aussie punk rock bands from the 90’s.

After pizza, 10 beers and probably my worst game of pool ever, we stumble in.. Much to my surprise i was expecting a lot more people. To be fair though most of the crowd looked to be born post 1992. Now i feel old!

Thank god for that. Little to no hangover for a Sunday morning and bluebird day! Sunday you’re treating us well!

Back up we go!! A couple of warm up laps on centre valley while checking out the big guns at the Playstation Slope Style Park which again was also looking amazing! The boys were sending it!!

I headed straight back to the Coca-Cola park, cranked out a few laps but finally decided to head over to Guthega and hang out with Ozgirl!
After the HUGE traverse over there we meet up and and hit the Parachute run which was super fun! A few big snow sprays thrown in for good measure! (Sorry Kim!! wink )

I say goodbye to Kim and and head back over to centre valley and see the gf for a cold beer.

All in all Perisher, you were amazing with great staff, epic conditions, awesome weather, sick parks and most important of all, a whole lot of FUN!

Ill defiantly be back soon! Can’t wait!!

Great write up! Such a fun afternoon!

What happened to the vid?

Thanks for the edit Kim!! Fun laps!

nice writeup ..

lanox - 02 August 2014 11:03 PM

nice writeup ..

Cheers my man!!

Nice one, SG!!!!! shaka

Thanks Water Bear wink xx

surferguy56 - 03 August 2014 03:17 PM

Thanks Water Bear wink xx

kiss

Yeah giddy up! Good write up man, top pics too. With your footage did you do a bunch of post prod image stabilization? Just wondering what program/effect you used?

Hey Tracks,

I shot and edited that video for Surferguy.

It was just on my Blackberry and then a very rough edit using Microsoft Movie Maker.

Youtube asked me when I uploaded it did i want ‘them’ to run an image stablizing program on it. and I said yes.

Ahh sweet oz, I didnt know youtube offered that feature so thats cool. Although its a pretty rough stabilization, still cool   grin