The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with Board Selection

Hey all.

First of all great website. I have been boarding for a few about 8 years but after reading the “stance” thread I made some changes to my set up and wow.

I have just read the counter rotation thread and I think that will bring some changes too. I can Bomb runs but I am very guilty of sliding the tail around and not getting a clean side cut.

Anyway I am looking a getting a new board so I can ride some switch, and I don’t think my current twin tip board is up to the task.

Im 183cm and 100kg’s.
I ride a Burton Super Model 163 with Triad Bindings. (approx 08’ board with 10’ bindings.)

I also ride a Burton X8 160 with EST bindings (approx 2010/11 board/bindings)

I love the supermodel and it really seems to tackle the mountain and groomers that I ride, I don’t really pop off anything I just enjoy cutting up groomers and then disappearing off piste. However it directional and can’t ride switch. I am keen to ride switch to tackle something else and improve my riding.

I bought the X8 as I thought I would enjoy the park. It turns out that the park and I disagree so you’ll only ever really find me in a boarder X track. I took the X8 out back to back with the supermodel two similar days last week. It did all right on the groomers but once I got of piste and in ice, it seemed to soft. The board would flex and I found it hard to get back enough to get the nose right up to clear the soft stuff. I actually went right over the nose.

Reading the camber thread I think I would be interested in a Custom or a Custom X at the 162 mark. I was hoping for some opinion and if I’m on the right track.

Board would be used in Aus, I’ve been to Japan and NZ but I will be staying for a few years to come.

Thanks again

Stitt

Welcome to Boardworld, TheStitt.

I’m stoked to hear the stance article helped your riding. shaka

The sentence that got me was this one:

“Anyway I am looking a getting a new board so I can ride some switch, and I don’t think my current twin tip board is up to the task.”

Is this in reference to your X8 being too soft?

Anyway, it does sound you’re on the right track with the Custom and Custom X based on how you like to ride, and also your feedback on the X8. But the Custom and Custom X are still both directional boards. That’s not to say you can’t easily ride switch on them; they just won’t ride switch quite as well as a true twin. The Custom X is noticeably stiffer than the Custom, which also raises the question, just how stiff do you want your snowboard?

To me, it actually sounds like you might want to be an a full cambered, reasonably stiff, true twin snowboard. Am I right in that assumption?

Please reply with more information and I will be happy to help you further. Welcome to the community!

Hey Rider 26

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate the time.

Yes the “not up to the task” was in reference to the X8 being to soft.

How stiff that is the big question. I like the feel of the Supermodel. So I guess I’m just after a twin tip version of it.

Your assumption is right.

I have been doing some of my own research and I was thinking the Custom Restricted could be the go. Only bummer seems to stop at 160, I was thinking I might need bigger.

Only reason for sticking burton was for binding swap ease.

Thanks again for the Input

Stitt

No worries at all, mate.

What size boots do you wear?

I think you’re on the money within the Burton range. The Custom Restricted is probably the closest to what you’re looking for: true twin shape, full camber profile, and mid to mid/stiff flex.

You’re correct about needing to stick with Burton if you want to keep using your EST bindings. It’s the one limitation of EST bindings.

Sizing is an interesting issue. I feel you can get away with the 160 in Australia. Also, it’s nice to build a bit of a quiver and get boards that aren’t so similar. I assume you’re keeping Supermodel 163? If so, you can always use that on a powder day, or if you go to Japan again etc. For mostly riding groomers and working on your switch riding in Australia, I think the 160 would suit.

Just to throw another option out there, something like the Rome Mod would be worth considering and it comes in 162. But as discussed, your EST bindings will not work with this board (or any other non-Burton board).
http://www.romesnowboards.com/boards/mod/

Cool thanks again for the reply.

I am a size 10.5 and use L bindings.

Thanks I’ll research that board. I could always pull the triad bindings off and maybe sell the X8 as a whole setup

No worries. You should be fine on most boards with 10.5 boots.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hey Stitt!! Welcome to boardworld buddy, all the best with the new board hunt.