The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Honest opinions needed re: article commenting

Hey guys,

We have been using Boardworld account logins for article commenting, i.e, how you can comment with your Boardworld account at the bottom of the article—> https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/exclusive-interview-with-charles-beckinsale

We have noticed we get very little interaction with this current setup, possibly because a large portion of those reading the articles and watching the videos are not Boardworld members, or they can’t be bothered logging in.

So we are thinking about changing over to a different commenting platform such as Facebook commenting or Disqus, as many other websites do. This would allow anyone with a Facebook account to comment and it is quite integrated with social media which is always a plus.

Before we make any decisions, I wanted to get your honest thoughts and opinions…

What currently prevents you from commenting on articles?

Would you prefer if we used Facebook commenting? Would this make it more likely you would comment?

Please feel free to share any thoughts on the matter.

Thank you. cool smile

yea 100% back the move to fb commenting
I have made the odd post following a video i was really impressed with, but generally i wont bother, because most people dont read or comment back anyway

Yup what Dylan said. Exactly.

I think you should give the facebook commenting on articles a go.

However I don’t think i will comment any more than I do now (ie zero!)

Something to think about though

The Grasshopper has the ability to have facebook commenting on his “article” and daily forecast’s however most don’t post there. However they do comment directly on the status on facebook. And like or tag their friends there.

Example of the seasonal update here
http://www.mountainwatch.com/snow-news/23594265/Season-Outlook-2014—-July-Update—-Australia
two comments

Can’t show you what the facebook commenting on the actually status on facebook is though… sorry its blocked at work.

Is this what you are thinking (similar to the mountainwatch/grasshopper model)?

Are you gettin lots of views on the articles?????

If so, I’m not sure if changin the way you’re able to comment will make a difference!!!!!

I think most people will comment on articles that are controversial as opposed to a little entertainment!!!!! Or unless there has been a controversial comment already made!!!!!

For someone that is NOT a Logged In Member, is there a visible Prompt for them to Sign Up, and Comment?????

Maybe this can be used as a Tool to make them aware of other things that Boardworld has to offer, such as the Forums and Store????? (can this be done with a Facebook account sign in?????)

All valid points. Keep them coming.

I just feel that Boardworld member commenting is less appealing to readers overall. Facebook commenting is more widely accepted and people are used to it, and you can also like comments and reply to people directly. I also like the appeal of it connecting directly to Facebook which could encourage more traffic to the article.

Mizu, I think you’re right too. We should be prompting them more. I will look into it.

I dont even go anywhere but the forums on here LOL

Go with Facebook commenting…

Can I admit I didn’t even know we could comment… LOL  rolleyes

honestly, I hate warren chapstick… oh and yeah what dylan said LOL

Here is the stats on the Facebook post…

I vote yes to proposition FB comment. Will increase traffic and spark conversations beyond the forums in a more comfortable and familiar way.

A lot of people don’t like signing up for every thing. I would suggest changing it to a FB post.

I know a lot of you are based in Sydney so your main mountain is Perisher but maybe get some more news for the Victorians.

I did see Torstein post up the BW video yyeeoow!

what will people commenting actually gain you/boardworld?? Is it just more numbers you can take to sponsors?
Not being facetious im genuinely curious.
But as others have said, i doubt it will change me from commenting on things in the forum rather than on the actual site part.

trentradpants - 02 July 2014 08:03 PM

what will people commenting actually gain you/boardworld?? Is it just more numbers you can take to sponsors?
Not being facetious im genuinely curious.
But as others have said, i doubt it will change me from commenting on things in the forum rather than on the actual site part.

Conversation is good for many reasons. It doesn’t have anything to do with sponsors really.

Commenting encourages others to get involved and hopefully comment themselves. It’s important the site looks to be an active community when visitors come to see videos or read articles. No one wants to talk to themselves.

At the end of the day, more conversation equals more traffic, which is what any site wants.