The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

film editing

Editing video has been my job for over 15 years.

The MacPro;
3.3GHz 6-core
6GB memory (smallest amount I could get when purchased). As the price drops will expand to 32GB (currently price $489). 32GB is max it can run.
2X 50” monitors - ATI Radeon 5770 (I’ll also upgrade/add graphics cards when I can afford the best ones).
Storage: 8TB internal, +10TB external

As mentioned, 6GB is working fine; editing 3hrs of 1080i with multiple effects, filters and digital zoom on a 576p timeline. Doing a final render takes some time, exporting is longer (depending on the file setting), burning a 8GB DL DVD in Studio Pro takes about 20min.

I always run a few programs at the same time. It’s not dedicated to purely editing video, it’s also my general purpose machine.
Often I monitor memory usage and it doesn’t seem to struggle. 4 memory slots coupled with the way MacPro shares tasks is incredibly efficient.

I’ve seen video guys run a MacPro for 20 years by upgrading the internals as needed. Much the same as a good Desktop PC.

spaz - 29 May 2014 10:40 AM

Editing video has been my job for over 15 years.

The MacPro;
3.3GHz 6-core
6GB memory (smallest amount I could get when purchased). As the price drops will expand to 32GB (currently price $489). 32GB is max it can run.
2X 50” monitors - ATI Radeon 5770 (I’ll also upgrade/add graphics cards when I can afford the best ones).
Storage: 8TB internal, +10TB external

As mentioned, 6GB is working fine; editing 3hrs of 1080i with multiple effects, filters and digital zoom on a 576p timeline. Doing a final render takes some time, exporting is longer (depending on the file setting), burning a 8GB DL DVD in Studio Pro takes about 20min.

I always run a few programs at the same time. It’s not dedicated to purely editing video, it’s also my general purpose machine.
Often I monitor memory usage and it doesn’t seem to struggle. 4 memory slots coupled with the way MacPro shares tasks is incredibly efficient.

I’ve seen video guys run a MacPro for 20 years by upgrading the internals as needed. Much the same as a good Desktop PC.

15 years you’re veteran smile I love the old MacPro machines are unbelievable with the upgrades. I do see some still around in the universities. I hear a lot about filming and editing through my housemate and friend who is involved in the production and editing of desert racing on channel 7. They also do other productions and it’s something I really enjoy but I prefer graphic design. What work do you primarily do? What productions?

Desert Racing!! AORC??  thinking

Primarily I produce;
In winter, snow videos of race events and private shoots.
During summer -  dance recitals, surfing and contract camera work to TV studios.
Before getting involved in video/photography I worked in acting (TV, film).