The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

I suck at snowboarding… What should i buy?

So the limited experience i have with snowboarding has led me to the conclusion that i suck.  I am determined to get better.

I feel like i should buy my board, boots, and bindings instead of renting because i will feel more compelled to make the trip to a mountain (i dont reallyl ive near one).  While i want to get decent equipment, i dont want to buy something that is beyond my level and i dont want to be something that im going to end up breaking.

What do you recommend as far as the length, width, and flex?  Also, how about the boot and bindings size?

I have checked various sites for answers to these questions but they all give me fairly different answers.

My stats:

Height: 5’9
Weight: 185
Shoe Size: 12 (US)
Experience:  Beginner

If you have any brands or particular boards you would recommend that would be great too.

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome Mizu!

I will most likely stick to Freestyle until i get some confidence.  I think it would be great to be able to freeride but need to get down the basics first.

I read somewhere that my shoe size should be the same as my boot size.  I have long toes, which kind of make my shoe size misleading.  My foot isnt really that big, but my toes make it hard to get shoes that fit me.  Do they make boots that are a little more narrow?

Im thinking my board is going to be about 155 cm, but not sure how wide it should be.  How much space should be between my toes and the edge of the board?

Thanks again

Good advice Mizu, but is that meant to be 10-20mm wink

Hey lilb1190,

Welcome to the community!  cool smile

Mizu has given you some good advice there.

What is your budget for the snowboard and bindings? Where do you live/ride?

Being a beginner you want your setup to be versatile, easy to learn on, but also leave room for progression.

Let’s start with boots. As Mizu mentioned, comfort is a top priority; you will be wearing your boots for hours on end. Comfort is achieved by getting boots which fit your foot shape properly. No one can tell you what boots to get until you are fitted by a knowledgable boot fitter. The only other thing to keep in mind is the flex of the boot; don’t get anything too stiff to start off with, as this will limit the mobility in your ankle. Here’s a little guide I put together on boot fitting: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snow/content/category/boot-fitting/

For the snowboard, versatility is key here. In regards to flex, again you don’t want something on the stiff end. Generally snowboarding is easier on a softer board, which is why beginner boards always have a softish, smooth flex pattern. With size 12 boots you will probably be looking at mid wide to wide boards, but let’s not jump to any conclusions till we know your proper boot size. Also worth reading the board selection guide: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snow/content/category/snowboard-selection/

If you need any further help please let me know.

Hi lilb,
      I’d recommend a two hour lesson to get some basic pointers, and then more lessons if you think it has helped.

You suck at snowboarding? ... Buy skis
Just playin, everyone sucks until they have put some time into it or better yet been taught properly.

You sound like your going about it the right way. Mizu had some good advice there. More important than any technology or gimmick that companies come up with is having gear that fits you best. Go to a snowboard store and get them to find you the boots that fit the best, a board with the right length and width for your height and boot size (like you have already talked about) and bindings that are comfy and fit your boot size.
Also make sure you get someone that knows what they are doing to set your bindings up for you. Having too much toe over hang and no heel over hang is a problem I see all the time with beginners with new set ups.

Other than that I recommend a rockered board instead of cambered. Either is fine but while your learning you will catch a lot less edges on a rocker board for sure. Also as you get better you will enjoy the playfulness of a rocker for freestyle and they float through powder easier. Later you can decide if you want to stay with rocker or switch to camber for a more aggressive style of riding.

One idea for a board could be one of Arbors new range of rocker boards, I have size 12 boots too and I fit mine perfectly (which is hard to do for a size 12) they get wider under your foot, it’s all very technical but I can tell you they work. Otherwise any other brand you pretty much have to be on a wide board, which is fine but can make it a pretty big heavy board.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the most addictive sport ever created :D

Sorry, lifestyle. It only seems like a sport until you make your first powder turn.