The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Carving with a rocker board?

I have a Lib Tech T.Rice with the C2. I always heard that with rocker board you turn/carve with your weight being more centered rather than shifting it from nose to tail? I feel that with the T.Rice the control is like between your feet instead of the nose and tail.

With any rockered board the contact points are brought in towards the centre of the board. Having the contact points brought in makes turning easier, and yes, with full-rocker or C2 hybrid camber (or similar), the board turns between your feet.

Carving technique is a different story…

I’ve looked at some carving technique videos and read some discussions (also from the boardworld guide). It says to initiate with the front foot and gradually shift pressure to the tail. Does this technique also applies with hybrid camber boards? Maybe I’m overthinking this and should just ride cool smile

I’m guessing the overall technique wouldn’t be too different, but there will be some aspects which will be easier (initiation as Mizu mentioned) and some which will be harder (loss of edge hold, stability, and ‘pop’ between turns). Personally I would still look to initiate with the front foot for carving, but I acknowledge the board will initiate faster/easier than usual; this is just a matter of getting a feel for the board. I wouldn’t worry too much about turn initiation as that will come easy, but I would put a lot more focus on edging and pressure control

I can safely say a rockered board will not perform as good as a cambered board for carving, regardless of technique. That said I have carved pretty hard on the Signal Omni Wavelength with excellent performance, but that still has camber between the feet. You just have to get used to whatever board you are riding, understand its characteristics, and use that to your advantage.

Thankss for the advice man smile

Hi Skip
I’ve had camber and rocker boards and also ridden some different hybrid boards. I’m riding a rocker right now and can say that there is a difference in technique between rocker and camber. Camber boards need to be “bent” in the middle using pressure building and releasing to carve aggressively. Rockers are already bent so when tilted onto their edge the board is already curved into the turn and the tricky part is applying pressure from the nose through to the tail at the right part of the turn to avoid washing out.

It’s my opinion that a hybrid like yours (rockered tips and camber between the feet) should simply be treated as a camber board. On groomed runs those rockered tips aren’t doing much because you can’t apply pressure with them because they are outside your feet, unlike a normal rocker which can be flattened. So basically unless you are in powder the only part of the board your using to turn is the camber part.

So my overview of the whole scene is:
Camber - is best at carving
Hybrid (Camber with rocker tips) - are just like camber boards with a shorter effective edge, instead they have rocker tips which help in powder. Washier than camber boards due to less pressure in the nose and tail.
Rocker - Require a slightly different technique to carve (less work to initiate turns but harder to exit carves without washing)

These are just my theories on things but I think they are fairly true. I’d like to know what the rest of board world thinks???
Hope that helps u bro

Also I know there is a hybrid that goes rocker camber rocker camber rocker… but F that noise lol. I haven’t tried one of those so I can’t comment on them.

Andy Aitken - 27 April 2011 06:38 AM

It’s my opinion that a hybrid like yours (rockered tips and camber between the feet) should simply be treated as a camber board.

I might be wrong Andy, but doesn’t the T Rice with C2, have rocker between the feet???? With the camber under the bindings????

Mizu Kuma - 27 April 2011 06:50 AM

It’s my opinion that a hybrid like yours (rockered tips and camber between the feet) should simply be treated as a camber board.

I might be wrong Andy, but doesn’t the T Rice with C2, have rocker between the feet???? With the camber under the bindings????

Yeah you’re right Mizu, rocker between the feet and camber from under the feet to the nose/tail.

Great insight into how the different type of boards feel though Andy!

Also I know there is a hybrid that goes rocker camber rocker camber rocker... but F that noise lol. I haven’t tried one of those so I can’t comment on them.

That would be the Flying V from Burton. Same idea as Lib tech’s C2 except it goes one further by adding rocker towards the nose/tail.

Dan83 - 27 April 2011 10:18 AM

Yeah you’re right Mizu, rocker between the feet and camber from under the feet to the nose/tail.

OH! It’s one of those hybrids. I haven’t ridden one of those yet. So yeah like I said I can only comment one the three types that I have ridden.
In one way I think camber under your feet and rocker in between could be the best of both worlds and in another way I kind feel like that’s just to many different bends in the board. It would seam like it would be easy to both carve and press when your learning but so many kinks in the board must make it hard to pressure smoothly through carves as you get up to that stage. But I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve ridden one. People seem to love them smile

Andy Aitken - 28 April 2011 12:53 AM
Dan83 - 27 April 2011 10:18 AM

OH! It’s one of those hybrids. I haven’t ridden one of those yet. So yeah like I said I can only comment one the three types that I have ridden.
In one way I think camber under your feet and rocker in between could be the best of both worlds and in another way I kind feel like that’s just to many different bends in the board. It would seam like it would be easy to both carve and press when your learning but so many kinks in the board must make it hard to pressure smoothly through carves as you get up to that stage. But I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve ridden one. People seem to love them smile

That’s what I’ve been thinkin Andy!!!!

You would think that the Camber Under Foot, would somehow negate the Rocker Between the Bindings????

But as ya said, everyone is lovin them!!!!! From The Pros and Shredders to the Punters (Like Me), although I haven’t ridden one yet either, I am hangin out to try one!!!!!

The really weird thing is there were a bunch of pros in the olympics for half pipe… on rockers??? Even if they sponsor you, you would think you would chose a camber board from that company…. weird.

Hey Thanks Andy for the advice =). Yeah with the camber under the feet and rocker between, I can still pressure the tail at the end of the turns to create that “rebound” you usually get with cambered board. It’s definitely more easier to carve because I don’t have to bend the board. If I do (by turning my back knee in) the board just turns sharper than before.

I demoed a Rossi One Magtek last saturday along with Capita BSOD, Signal Omni, Bataleon Whatever, Prior Khyber, and Burton Nug. I feel like the Rossi is the best board out of them all. It’s got 1.5mm camber between the feet and then 7mm rocker tip and tail. Felt more like rocker when carving and less rebound because the camber is minimal and between the feet but it’s easier to turn due to the lifted contact points. But carving wise, I like my T.Rice better with rocker between and camber under the feet. I don’t like cambered boards now, feels like the control points are so far at the tip and tail.

skip11 - 28 April 2011 04:21 AM

I demoed a Rossi One Magtek last saturday along with Capita BSOD, Signal Omni, Bataleon Whatever, Prior Khyber, and Burton Nug.

How did you like the Nug Skip? Looks like a fun and playful little board. Couldn’t imagine having it as my only board though.

Andy Aitken - 28 April 2011 02:52 AM

The really weird thing is there were a bunch of pros in the olympics for half pipe… on rockers??? Even if they sponsor you, you would think you would chose a camber board from that company…. weird.

That’s really surprising!?!