The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

REVIEW: 2011 Signal Omni Wavelength

2011 SIGNAL OMNI WAVELENGTH

Rider: Jeremy Sheridan

Rider weight: 65kg

Boot size: 9 US

Board category: All-mountain

Board size tested: 153cm

Test location: Thredbo, NSW

Snow conditions: powder, soft-packed snow, groomed runs.

GENERAL REVIEW:

The Signal Omni Wavelength is an all-mountain beast - super fast, responsive, and stable. The Omni Wavelength has camber between the feet, and rocker in the nose and tail. It rides like a full-cambered board in most situations; the board has excellent stability, pop, and carving ability. I’m stoked that I had the opportunity to ride this board in deep powder, because I got to experience how well this board floats. The combination of rocker in the nose and tail, and a longer nose than tail, provided more than adequate float in the deepest areas and off drops; the float and stability on powder landings was excellent.

The Omni Wavelength is almost a twin, except for the nose being longer than the tail; the nose and tail widths are are the same, and the radial sidecut meets in the centre of the board. When riding on piste, the board rode switch just as well as it did regular - I really could not feel any difference between the Omni Wavelength and a true twin. Rocker in the nose and tail also made it easier to press and butter. Even though the board is on the stiff end of the scale, the rocker in the nose and tail still made for a playful ride when jibbing around on the snow.

The combination of a fairly stiff flex pattern, relatively narrow waist width (243mm on the 153), and elevated contact points, makes the snowboard ride very responsively. The Omni Wavelength is an excellent all-mountain snowboard and I would not hesitate in suggesting it to those in the market for a top end, all-mountain snowboard.

PERSONAL RATINGS (out of 10):

Best use: All-mountain, powder

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 7

Carving: 8.5

Groomers: 9

Powder: 8.5

Jumps: 9

Jibbing: 6

Overall: 9 (as an all-mountain snowboard)

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this thread.

HIGHLIGHTS

•Silkscreened matte top sheet
•Camber between your feet
•Rocker from feet to tip and tail
•Silkscreened sintered base material
•Directional and Twin
?Directional: Longer nose than tail
?Twin: Nose and tail widths
?Twin: radial sidecut meets at the center
•Triaxial glass on top / Biaxial glass on the bottom
•Poplar Core with Standard Profile

Available in: 150, 153, 156, 159 and 162.

The Dave Colorway is only available in a 159.

this is a pic of the 09 version. you can really see the rocker!

Thanks Gamblor!  cool smile

Hey Rider, does it ollie like a cambered board or a rockered one?

Definitely like a cambered board, has lots of pop! The only time I really noticed the rocker was in the powder or when I was nose/tail pressing. In all other situations it rides like a cambered board.

Stoked that you liked it Jez.  We’ll have to get you on a Park Rocker next season to get your jib on!

Looks like a really good versatile board jez. I might have to steal it for some riding soon when i get the chance to ride again. Great to see companies still pushing the boundaries with board manufacturing even when they aren’t big.

Trav Laird - 07 September 2010 08:28 AM

Stoked that you liked it Jez.  We’ll have to get you on a Park Rocker next season to get your jib on!

Yes please.  grin

Jez, how do you reckon it would ride in the deep pow? A japan weapon you think?

I’m really interested in this idea of camber between the feet, but rocker from feet to nose/tail….can someone put me onto some other brands/models that have that feature?

Yes snowboards and the Jones all mountain twin have camrock which is essentially the same.

any true twins/park/jibbing boards you know of have it?

have you looked at the YES line? also at the Signal line?

hey cords,

The Omni Wavelength is essentially a twin shape board.  The shape is perfect for park riding because you have the camber between your feet for pop and to stomp landings, and the rocker on tip and tail for presses, butters and catch minimised contact points.  With these shapes, whatever brand or version you decided to ride, you get the best of both worlds.  I think this is where most rocker type shapes are headed.

Stoked that you’re interested

Cheers

Trav

cords, if you’re the slightest bit interested pump this guy for information! He works for Signal and to get such personalized service is rare. Get on it!

Trav Laird - 09 September 2010 12:55 PM

Jez, how do you reckon it would ride in the deep pow? A japan weapon you think?

This board handles powder very well! From what I experienced (best powder day I’ve ever had in Australia), I certainly think it would be an excellent board for North America or Japan. I would love to take it through the trees in deep snow - that’s where the board would really excel. Floats great, super responsive, and fast edge to edge.