The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Instagram to introduce advertising

I guess it was only a matter of time. Facebook bought Instagram for $1 billion, so they were obviously going to monetise it at some point.

Via The Verge.

As the company announced today that it has reached 150 million active users, Instagram told The Wall Street Journal that it’s preparing to introduce advertising. Emily White, Instagram’s director of business operations, said that the service should be ready to begin selling ads within the next year. While Facebook has already confirmed plans to “monetize” Instagram, White’s comments are the first explicit recognition that Instagram will eventually contain ads.

Since being acquired by Facebook last year, Instagram has added more than 100 million users. The company has added 20 million users since June of this year.

While there’s no solid date for when Instagram will start displaying ads to its users, the Journal says that White is briskly courting advertisers. After reportedly “reviewing every business function” in the company, Instagram expanded to 50 employees, including four staff who manage relationships with brands. The Journal says that White led a charge to catalog every major brand account on Instagram, and then went to meet those companies; White reportedly met with Ford, Williams-Sonoma, and Coca-Cola just last week. “We want to make money in the long term, but we don’t have any short-term pressure,” White told the Journal.

There’s also no word yet about what ads on Instagram would look like, but WSJ reports that the team could possibly go after placement in the app’s Discover page and search feature. White also reportedly indicated that advertisers are interested in linking pictures of products to their websites.

Fuck cant they just leave a good thing as a good thing wall

BOO! thumbsdown

Instagram has become my clear favourite of the social media apps and lots of it’s appeal is in it’s clean interface.

It’s a pain scrolling through FB or Twitter these days with ads/recommendations filling the feed.

Hopefully it’s just a banner add which can easily be blocked but I highly doubt it will be something as simple as that.

I didn’t even know Twitter introduced advertising, but I don’t use it much anyway.

drc13 - 09 September 2013 11:56 AM

BOO! thumbsdown

Instagram has become my clear favourite of the social media apps and lots of it’s appeal is in it’s clean interface.

It’s a pain scrolling through FB or Twitter these days with ads/recommendations filling the feed.

Hopefully it’s just a banner add which can easily be blocked but I highly doubt it will be something as simple as that.

Yeh, I dont use FB on mobile anymore for just browsing through. Ever second post is an add

What a PITA, Instagram is so good just being able to see what you want!!!

add boobs not ads, thats my 2cents!

trentradpants - 09 September 2013 02:43 PM

Idk about you but mine already contains them LOL

Well that’s pretty fucked up!!!!! rage

And why didn’t you buy Instagram?  hmmm

rider26 - 09 September 2013 03:20 PM

And why didn’t you buy Instagram?  hmmm

Cause he only had $999,999,999.98 in his bank account!!!!!

I’m sure I could have borrowed 2 cents to chip in. teacherboy

rider26 - 09 September 2013 03:25 PM

I’m sure I could have borrowed 2 cents to chip in. teacherboy

Not off me ya won’t!!!!!

Ya still owe me beers and chicken wings from Crystal’s!!!!!

I wonder how long they are forecasting it will take to return their billion dollar outlay + to date staff cost thinking

fb is part owned by microsoft

Are they worried about 1 billion$?

spaz - 09 September 2013 08:47 PM

fb is part owned by microsoft

Are they worried about 1 billion$?

Does the sun rise in the east and set to the west?