The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ask your riding questions here!

h0z - 19 September 2013 12:15 AM

Andy, i might pick your brain for a bit of advice next week.. I can comfortably spin, butter, tail press and 180 on flat land, (and landed a few off jumps) but in having trouble doing tail rolls, im trying back side roll.. But i seem to under rotate, or when i try to rotate more i seem to jump a bit…  So if you don’t mind i might get you go give me some tips on what im doing wrong?

Yeah no probs, I’ll be on the hill everyday. Any time I don’t have a lesson I don’t mind going for a slide with you to see what u are doing and how we can improve it.

But until then, a few things to think about.
1. Front side nose rolls are way easier than backside ones. Personally I find Switch Front Side nose rolls the easiest because your body naturally likes to land forward more than it does switch. So start with Front side and Switch Front Side nose rolls for an easier trick to get down.

2. Don’t worry if you feel like you are jumping, especially with backside. It is kind of a jumping motion, you just leave the nose (or switch nose) on the ground when you do it. The better you get at it, the more it will become a smaller jump motion and more of a retraction of the legs.

Props to you for learning these by the way, most riders don’t even know what they are. But they will give you really good control over your 180 airs, and they just look cool. Also you are the only person I know in real life (other than me) that does BS rolls lol.
I strongly suggest watching some Technine videos. Though some people think they over do it with their style, no one can deny that MFM is the KING of all things buttery. And his nose rolls are the best to try and imitate.

Thanks! I really,love the look,of the flat land tricks..so,I’m,on a mission to learn as many as I can! As well as them helping my riding, it should make it easier to do tricks in the air. I’m pretty stoked with my progression this year, I’ve even taught mr.h0z a few things! (finally paying him back for everything he has taught me!)

its looking like we will be down Thursday till Sunday next week,  ill pm you my number a bit later, smile

So now I am working on something similar to above.. Trying to get my nose & tail presses… Don’t know if it’s lack of strength or that my new litle GNU isn’t quite broken in yet. But really am not getting a heap of flex out of them. Can get manuals then butter to 180s but straight presses are damn hard on the legs!!

Which Hill are you guys based at?

We are at perisher.. If you are there from Thursday till Sunday I’m,more then happy to show you!

(its more about how you stand and shift your weight/lean,)

basically you want your front,leg straight and your back,leg bent like you are crouching, and you want to shift,tour weight over the tail,of the board to tail,press, which forces the board to bend, and opposite for nose presses,

The key is to shift your weight over the tail, not lean your body backwards.
You still want to maintain good upper body posture while pressing either way. Tail press you shift your hips backwards and like h0z said, by bending your back leg and pulling up on your front. Dont lean backwards like your gonna do a cartwheel

Also, try watching a few videos, if you can, buy the snowboard addiction flat land trick video, I have it and,have learnt quite a bit!

for now see if this video helps explain how you stand,

hope it helps,,  ^_^

Thanks for the deets Hozz! Loved watching Nev’s videos on Snowboard addiction.
I’ve been home from work sick a bit so just been youtubing like mad.

Been riding Powderpak artificial snow park a bit in Dandy - What a cool place!

Anyway question is about backside 1s.
Can get my front 1’s over the kickers and out of
boardslides (into fakie) no problem but find myself either over rotating or not enouch }
when going for a back 1.
My body naturally wants to turn to the left ( I am REG) but feels so foreign trying to
go to the right? Even though it means I am landing switch ?

What are some other tricks apart from BSBS FSBS, 50 etc I can start to learn?

It’s a common problem to over-rotate backside 180s. Either that or reverting back to regular after you land, i.e., you land but your body wants to continue the rotation back to regular simultaneously.

The first thing I will say: it’s better to slightly under-rotate a backside 180 than over-rotate. It is also very helpful to think about landing slightly on your toe edge. Having pressure on your toe edge fights the need/feeling to continue the rotation. Instead of reverting back to regular, you are going to ride off in a nice straight (almost carved) line. The two key points are in bold (duh, haha). Slightly under-rotate to begin with, and make sure you get those ties down first, and you will be stomping clean backside 180s in no time!

Always think: take off slightly on your toes, land slightly on your toes. Your toe edge becomes very important for backside 180s. Once you really have the feel for the rotation, it then becomes a lot easier landing on a flat base.

Give that a go and let me know how you go. Worth noting, I have never ridden on PowderPak, so I have no idea how different edging is on the surface. I’m curious if you want to give me some feedback though. smile

In regards to other tricks on rails, there are endless combinations you can try. With your boardslides, are you coming off regular or switch? Either way, try the other option. How about trying to ride in switch, boardsliding and riding out regular? Nosepress? 180 on, 180 off? <—actually a great way to get the feel for 360s.

Anyone here can give me any tips on how to do dolphin turns? It seems like you have to ollie off your heelside edge at the end of the turn.

Here are 2 examples:

Stellvadore - 14 October 2013 05:08 PM

Thanks for the deets Hozz! Loved watching Nev’s videos on Snowboard addiction.
I’ve been home from work sick a bit so just been youtubing like mad.

Been riding Powderpak artificial snow park a bit in Dandy - What a cool place!

Anyway question is about backside 1s.
Can get my front 1’s over the kickers and out of
boardslides (into fakie) no problem but find myself either over rotating or not enouch }
when going for a back 1.
My body naturally wants to turn to the left ( I am REG) but feels so foreign trying to
go to the right? Even though it means I am landing switch ?

What are some other tricks apart from BSBS FSBS, 50 etc I can start to learn?

Hey Stellvadore,
Like Rider said, one part of not over rotating is putting the toe edge down just before you get to 180 degrees to catch yourself. In fact that is true of ALL spins when learning them, and very important to learn for spins beyond 180s later. 180s can be done so easily that it’s easy to learn them one way that is impossible to do for spins beyond 180s. So learn to catch your BS 180s with your toe edge and catch your FS 180s with your heel edge.

But the other part of controlling rotation is learning how to Lock Out your Spins.
You do this by using your head to halt the rotation where you want it to stop.
Imagine your head is a door stop and your shoulders are the door. You can’t swing your shoulders past your head right? (Not unless your the chick from the exorcist   nutjob )
So all you have to do is think before you spin “Is this an OPEN LANDING or a BLIND LANDING?”
An Open Landing is any spin ending in a FS 180 (Including a FS 180 itself). You will end the spin by looking forwards. This will halt the rotation.
A Blind Landing is any spin ending in a BS 180 (including a BS 180 itself). You will end the spin looking back the way you came to halt the rotation. Land. And only THEN turn your head to look forward.
This is a weird thing to get used to, but trust me, it works and it’s what every good park rider does. Watch a pro do it. They may do it quick or slow, but they do it every time.

A nice way to teach yourself to do it is to look at the knuckle immediately after take off and keep looking at it until you land as you go past the knuckle it will turn your head and your body and board will follow. Then once your past the knuckle your head will stay pointed at it and your body will stop rotating once it reaches your head.
Just keep looking at the knuckle until you land on your toe edge and the 180 will basically do itself.
Just make sure you are comfy doing them on the flats and little side hits before trying kickers. Happy Spinning!

skip11 - 02 November 2013 11:49 AM

Anyone here can give me any tips on how to do dolphin turns? It seems like you have to ollie off your heelside edge at the end of the turn.

Hey Skip, yep I love doing dolphin turns so I can help you out.
First off, if I could combine the 2 riders in those 2 videos, we would have a good example of dolphin turns LOL
Jokes, they’re not bad at all, but the first gets really nice flex and snap, and the 2nd is able to close his turns (turn all the way across the hill). That’s what you want to aim for to get a beautiful looking dolphin turn.

And yes you are right, you ollie off your heel side AND your toe side too, at the end of each turn.

So to learn them:
- Start by traversing across the hill and ollie off your toes and land on your toes in a straight line across the hill. Then do the same on the heel edge. When you land the ollies, instead of landing flat like normal, try landing on the nose every time. This is what gives the dolphin motion.
- Then at the end of your turn when you would normally stand up to change edge, ollie to change edge instead. Ollie off your heels and land on your toe edge and do a toe turn. Then ollie off your toes and land on your heel edge and do a heel turn.
- Start out doing very open turns (like the first video) then when you have the hang of it, try to finish your turns and close them off across the hill(like in the second video). But if you are doing them as a trick, remember to get them nice and high like in the first video.

As instructors we use Dolphin turns to teach a few different things. Mainly to teach people how to transfer pressure from the nose at the start of the turn, to the tail at the end of the turn to make their turns more aggressive. So once you can dolphin turn, simply do them without getting air and you have a nice aggressive turn. (You can see this in the second video, he’s definitely the better rider of the 2).

Thanks Andy, will try it once the season starts :D

Sorry I have a bad memory. Are you going to be in Whistler again Skip?

Sorry I have a bad memory. Are you going to be in Whistler again Skip?

I’ll be in Vancouver, maybe till January then I might have to go back to Indo for good. But we’ll see. I might get 5-10 days riding this season