The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ask your riding questions here!

Same!
Pretty sure mine are way out..

If using a file, do you file base up or top down?

Base up.

mattyp - 20 August 2014 09:12 AM

What does this mean?

I thought he was referring to how the snowboard should sit on the table/vices, but reading it again I’m confused too.

Same!
Pretty sure mine are way out..

All depends on what edge angle you’re Workin on (Side/Base), and what type of File ya usin?????

Make sure ya always use a File Guide too!!!!!

I think he is referring to the motion of the file.

A file only works one way though!!!!!

Mudhoney - 20 August 2014 10:52 AM

What does this mean?

As in.  If the board is sitting on its base.  Am I running the file from roof to floor or floor to roof?

Watch some of the vids here: http://bit.ly/1lii9Hi

What up boss shredders, I need some more advice.

So, bs 5s are giving me a little trouble. I’ve been told my approach for bs 3s and bs 5s are the same and I’m not counter rotating and chucking enough off the lip. That results in me getting to 360 in air and stretching the body around to 450 to touchdown and wash around. Anyone else have trouble with this? I kinda think its cause I’m so used to spotting the bs 3 landing that I sub consciously do it when I’m trying 5s and that just slows down the spin. Any advice/experiences are welcome!

Lastly, wanted to ask about what people had for tips on grabbing spins. I can only grab indy on a bs 3 and even that is sketchy most of the time. I think it has a lot to do with sucking up my knees to bring the board closer but thats a bit of a guess. Really want to get fs 3 melon and bs 3-5 tail! Thanks again   metal  metal

I think it’s super important to break down the trick and work on the individual components before piecing it all together. I’ve mentioned it to you before, but I’ll try explain it better this time.

The part of this trick that’s throwing you off is the last 180 of the 540. This is a essentially a backside 180. You need to get super solid with backside 180s on the same jump you’re attempting backside 540s. Your BS 180s need to be super solid. Throw them off everything, also at speed on normal terrain. The better you get at them, the more natural and comfortable the final 180 will become. I honestly believe this is your biggest problem.

Stomp the backside 180s clean on your toeside edge. Given you have rotated the full 540 or close to it, this will get you riding out straight and clean. Landing (even slightly) on your toeside edge is important.

tracvks - 01 September 2014 12:53 PM

I kinda think its cause I’m so used to spotting the bs 3 landing that I sub consciously do it when I’m trying 5s and that just slows down the spin.

This statement confirms what I said above. Your 360s are solid and you have the “feel” for it and a general comfort for the trick. The backside 180 clearly isn’t as solid and you don’t have that natural “feel” for it in the same way. This is what you need to change! Make it just as comfortable as your frontside 360s and you’ll nail it.

Yeah you have. Im going to make an effort to get them on LOCK this weekend. 3 jump line will be bs1, cab1, bs5! Attempted till I get it or cant walk haha.

Thanks again Jez for explaining clap

For what it’s worth here is what I think about for a couple of the things you mention.

For back fives I try and keep the core tight and really think about using my hips to generate the rotation.  Approaching on the toe edge gives you great grip so use that to get your whole body rotating together which should help avoid getting twisted.  This has the advantage that if you’re just shy of the rotation you have some wriggle room to counter rotate to finish the spin.

For grabs, decide what grab you want to do and try and visualise the movement before dropping in.  Make sure you pop (or ollie if it’s a small jump) and as your legs come up as part of that movement just have your hand in the right area to grab the board as it comes up to you.

Mizu Kuma - 27 August 2013 04:17 PM

While I have that edit in here, I may as well get any feedback/observations on my “style” and “technique”!!!!!

But be gentle on me as I’m not 20 anymore!!!!! mizu

Maybe this vid is better to rip on?????

Wicked footage dude!! I’m guessing this is japan??

Which resort is this at?