The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ask your riding questions here!

Yeah, thanks, Jez, that’s pretty much what I already do.  I am yet to apply the edge sharpener I bought from you to my Tasman.  Whenever it’s been icy I get out the T.Rice which has Magnetraction that does seem to help.

rider26 - 19 August 2014 10:44 AM

I know it sounds weird but the easiest way to ride ice is ride straight over it, using little to no edging. It’s fast, it’s scary… so you need to scan the terrain ahead and look for soft spots where the snow is built up. This is where you speed check. It’s fun, challenging, and will make you a better rider.

That’s what I do anyway.

That’s good to hear as that’s generally my go to solution (using areas of windblown snow etc to control the speed) and it’s the advice I’ve given newbies freaked out by ice but have always said it semi jokingly as I wasn’t sure if it was the best answer.

In my opinion, the safest way to navigate ice is bombing over it at full speed, provided you are comfortable riding at that speed. Sounds weird but this is how I approach it.

It’s also worth mentioning, you can speed check on ice, but it’s super important to use minimal edge angle. Keep the base almost flat. You must have good control over this action or it won’t work. And it’s not a “turn” as such, rather counter-rotating 90° so you’re still riding straight but with your board sliding perpendicular to the fall line. <—A good example of how counter-rotation can help for more advanced riding.

Thanks, Jez, that is pretty much the approach I already take.  Sometimes I find myself a-slidin’ on a large ice patch I didn’t see in advance and I have been wondering about edging in that situation.  I normally find a balance point that has me sliding sideways across my edge with maximum (but still inadequate) traction, and looking for a patch of softer stuff to turn in.  I definitely want to try sharpening up my edges and see what kind of difference that makes.

Yeah, a nice sharp edge always does my confidence on ice wonders!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 19 August 2014 01:10 PM

are you using a 90 degree edge angle, Miz?  I’m wondering if shaving a degree or two off might help, too, although I guess that would make the board less freestyle friendly.

I think it’s more important to have a nice, clean, sharp edge—rather than changing the base bevel etc. It probably makes a noticeable difference but the general condition of the edge would make the biggest difference for sure.

Mudhoney - 19 August 2014 01:14 PM
Mizu Kuma - 19 August 2014 01:10 PM

are you using a 90 degree edge angle, Miz?  I’m wondering if shaving a degree or two off might help, too, although I guess that would make the board less freestyle friendly.

I do mine at 88, mate!!!!!

And yes it’ll make it more freestyle unfriendly, but this is more to do with base angle and profile as opposed to the edge angle!!!!!

Like Jez said, I wouldn’t touch the base angle!!!!! ( unless ya really wanna play “Change The Board Dynamics”)

A 90 Edge Angle combined with a 2 Base Angle is Freestyle!!!!!

Whereas Freeride/Ice/Hardpack is more 88 Edge with 1 Base Angles!!!!!

The more Acute the angle, the more grip!!!!

And the greater the Base Angle, the less contact it has with surfaces whilst flat basin/rail ridin/etc!!!!!

Yep totally get all that and that’s why I said “edge angle”.  I am definitely not wanting to change my base angle.  Interesting that you use 88 on the edge, Mizu.  I have never thought of changing mine away from 90.  I have read some comments that making it more acute can make the board a bit hooky in the turns so I’ve always stayed away from that.

What do they mean about “Hooky”?????

Pretty positive both my DC’s even came factory tuned at 88!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 19 August 2014 01:53 PM

What do they mean about “Hooky”?????

Pretty positive both my DC’s even came factory tuned at 88!!!!!

“Hooky” means it locks into the turn too hard and is more difficult to release from the turn.

I’ve SMS’ed Amine to find out what my side edge angle is.

Hmmm, not bein able to release from a turn would probably be more technique than edge angles I reckon?????

Maybe Jez (Or another Instructor Type) could shed some light on this?????

Probably a bit of both I would think…

The board would physically feel different. But usually there’s nothing a technique adjustment can’t fix.

who knows what kind of strange angles ive got after taking to them with a file LOL