The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Kickflip problem :(

Ok, so first of all I want to let you know that I have some of the basic tricks down (Ollie, Fs180,Bs180, Fs Shuvs, Bs shuvs, Heelflip, all of the 180 and shuv it Fakie, + some nollies and nollie shuvs). I am learning kickflips since a good month and a half and I skate everyday. Ok so I have the flick down and I land them quite constantly since the last 2 weeks but when I do them, I feel like I am turning a little bit frontside, (I am goofy if that helps). So when I try to keep my shoulders straight I just can’t do the kickflip! I know it’s weird, but when I flick the board goes behind me or even I land with my front foot, or even just can’t flick it at all. My front foot is slightly off the middle and at an angle of 45 degrees. It might be that I need more foot on the board but that way I can’t flick the board! Help me if you can. Peace and keep skating! smile

Hey I’ll give more of a full reply when I get home but the key thing u have said that rings alarm bells for me is u saying flick down. This will make it hard like u say to do with shoulders square. You flick should e the same as an ollie. Go up, then out to the corner pocket. Very different motion so will take a while to get used to.

Thanks for replying! The next day my kickflips were straight and high as well and now I’m so happy! lol.
I really appreciate your support smile. I wonder what tricks I can learn now cause there is so many, and there are also ramps, grinds, slides…I don’t know where to start. Could you give me any advice? Peace

Stoked you got your kickflips going!
Next phase for them would be to start doing them up and down curbs. Just so you get used to going up things and landing off things. From this you can then take them to gaps or onto grinds.
Next phase would be combining the kickflip with other tricks, eg kickflip+shuvit=varial flip, kickflip +fs/bs180s = fs flip/bs flip.
Just kickflip as much as you can. Use it as your ollie. This will help you get it on lock and use it with other tricks. I know many guys who can kickflip better than they can ollie things

hey dude I have had the same problem with switch kick flips. I figured out that you really need to practice the FLICK UP that is the most important part to kick flips. I suggest standing on your board at home and practising the pop and flicking. then once your done try to catch it with your front foot. after that practice catching it with your back foot. after all this you should have developed some muscle memory, so now try to put it all together. MAKE SURE YOU FLICK UP !
good luck mate.