The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Landing Kickflips!?

I recently started skating and I have been learning kickflips… or trying to! I can spin the board perfectly every time and I can always seem to land with my back foot, but my front foot always stomps a mile to the left of the board (Im regular stance). I feel like i get enough pop, my ollies are fine… I just dont know how to get that damn front foot on! Any tips?

Hey riley,

From what you have said, i think the main issue is that you are pushing down on the board to make it flip. While this will make it seem like the board is flipping perfect, it doesnt allow your feet to be in the right position to land, as you have noticed.

You DONT wanna push or flick down. If your front foot is landing way left and landing before your board this is most likely the problem.

You need to almost do an ollie (so drag foot up) and then continue to flick your foot in the top pocket. Flick up and out. When done correctly the board will spin and actually spin/flick up into your back foot.
So it is also important that you lift your back foot up quick and high like a good poppy ollie.

Check out the trick tip that Mitch has done for Boardworld. It has good slow mos and you can see how he never pushes down. His front foot goes up and forward.

members have posted videos on here before to help with us givin you advie. maybe film your kickflip and we can help more smile

Sounds like you are opening up your shoulders when you pop your flip. Try holding onto a rail and popping your flips, that may help you with keeping your shoulders straight.