The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Frontside off the Toes!!

I never thought about toeside-to-toeside turns! (aka linked toesides)
it is a great teaching tool for spinning off the toes!

I was intriduced to this as a skill that is often asked to perform at an AASI level II exam.
no skid, only carve and link the toeside turns, which requires an over rotated 180.
The 180 can be done as a nose roll, or a hop, or an ollie.
What a great idea!

But on this note.
If you can link your toesides, then you can link you heelsides, right?
this is even more challenging, as it requires that you over rotate a BS180, nice!

Wow yeah heelside to heelside is a ruff one…. If you take the same principles as toe to toe then you will be alright. The only thing is that your balance on your heels is minimal. You will need to practice lots but it will come just the same as the last tricky maneuver you over came..

I think a lot of people rotate BS off the heels, so practicing heel-to-heel turns is a great exercise.

When I link toeside turns… and then think about spinning FS off the toes, it makes sense. When I thought about FS off the toes before that - it made no sense at all.

I find it a challenge when linking toesides to complete my turns more and more, and see if I can keep linking them.
The more I complete the turn the more I have to rotate to connect the next turn.

When I say ‘complete’ the turn. I mean to finish off the “C” shape in the turn and come closer and closer to going across the fall-line.

I would say that when practising the toe to toe or heel to heel turns for the purpose of spinning off the toes front-side or spinning off the heels backside you would not need to complete the carves. You want to go off the jump at half or mildly past half way threw your carve. If you over carve off the jump there is a good chance you will air to the side of the jump. But otherwise if you want to complete your turns while practising this exercise then you need to be very strong on your edge and completely commit. Exaggerate your compression and especially your extension giving you extra pop creating ample time to rotate back to the edge. Learning what pop for what lip and speed is very important as well.

snowslider - 02 July 2009 04:07 PM

this is even more challenging, as it requires that you over rotate a BS180, nice!

ate so much poo trying this… will give it another go this season.

kneeboard - 07 May 2010 02:26 AM
snowslider - 02 July 2009 04:07 PM

ate so much poo trying this… will give it another go this season.

It was something that me and my friends thought of. but I am sure we werent the first. We were thinking about creative things to do, such as linked toesides. And hence came up with linked heel sides. You can do a variety of say 2 linked toes, and then 2 linked heels… or any variety.

It is good that it makes you do BS180s, which is a good trick to have in your bag, but much less practiced than the FS180… on flatland that is. I think the BS1 is more popular in the park, of course.