The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Getting lessons

Poll: Did you have lessons to learn to snowboard?
Total Votes: 35
Yes
No

I wish i’d got some lessons when i first learnt to ride.  I’ve been riding for 7 or 8 seasons now and i’m pretty sure i’d be loads better if i’d invested in a few lessons at the start.  I just rented a board and gave her down the hill with my friends.  Its a hard one, cos i had loads of fun trying to figure out this new sport and its pretty funny falling all over the place with your friends but stomping good tricks or laying down smooth lines is also pretty fun.  I teach snowboard now and wish i could of had some of the hints and pointers i now get to give to people just starting out, or on their first few seasons.  I guess people think of lessons as something skiiers and holiday makers do, but i think for the vast majority of riders the occasional lesson would be of great beniifit, kinda like a 6 monthly health checkup if that makes any sense, just to iron out those bad habits or get a fresh approach to something thats holding you up.  I know i’ve really benifited from some of my friends (usually fellow instructors) tips last season and i’m sure its always gonna be the case, unless at 28 i start rocking it like eero! yeah no.

It would be interesting to know how many people on here started off with lessons or just gave it a blast.

1988..Just gave it a blast..There were only 5 of us on the hill with boards….We all stumbled along together..

and it was/still is a blast

I answered no, because not officially.

I was putting turns together, and signed up to teach snowboarding (I had to get a job at them mountain so I could ride for free)
After I was linking turns, I had other instructors to hang out with all the time, so essentially ever since I learned the basics I’ve been getting lessons ever since.
Kinda backwards for most.

There’s more to learn after your first turns, I’ve found.

there is always more to learn, thats why i love snowboarding. very few people in the world can do frontside 10s off their toes but can anyone do backside 10s off their heels!?  In fact has anyone heard of anyone doing more than back 3 off the heels?

I took lessons and I enjoyed them thoroughly. I progressed much quicker tha my friends who refused the 2 hour lesson in the mornings. Taking those lessons inspired me to become a snowboard instructor. I believe strongly that anyone learning to snowboard should take lessons.

I still take lessons (training sessions) and benefit greatly from them. Just bouncing ideas and techiniques with other instructors and trainers makes it all worthwhile. We can all learn something from someone.

What bothers me is the mentality that once you can put a few turns together, you have “learned to snowboard” and there is no point is taking a lesson.
I think that the ski industry has transcended this, but I’d like to see more of the snowboarding community view things this way also. More high caliber instructors, riding like champs and making awesome turns on the hill is one of the best ways to market ourselves. Making a rider who can put a few turns together say “I want to be able to make turns like that”

I didn’t officially have lessons but I had someone who is a great snowboarder out with me that helped me along when I needed it. I knew what do to before, it was just applying those concepts and actually trying it out. I picked up the basics pretty quickly so now it’s just improving my stance and skills. I don’t regret not taking lessons, I like to learn things for myself. Now as I get better I have someone that can correct my mistakes and bad habits, so it’s all good.

I took a few lessons and thankful I did. I still take lessons in the form of courses/training sessions now and they still benefit me greatly.

The difference between skiers attitude to lessons and snowboarders is quite marked as is mentioned above,  its just hard to see which body is really gonna try and change that and how.  I think if people saw instructors killing it in the park, jibbing around or just riding with grace and style, it’d certainly attract more people especially kids into lessons.  When i look around the hill sadly what i see mostly (this is canada i’m talking of mostly) is instructors going down the hill doing lots of uniform turns in a rather robotic manner and kids killing it in steezy outfits. now don’t get me wrong i’m all about steezy outfits but robotic turns, not so much…

I wonder if as the sport grows some of this work work itself out.
A little older average age of rider, and not all high school kids etc.

I think you may be right, my suspicion is that a lot of the higher positions amoung the sports teaching bodies are held by people who were formally heavily involved with skiing or if not learnt a style of riding that shall we say is no longer cutting edge?  What i mean is i often get the impression when training for courses that i’m trying to learn to alpine ski on a snowboard rather than shred….my two cents no more…

Last season was my first time in the snow EVER!!

big surprise

I hired a board, did the two hour lesson which was great. I don’t think I could have leant as much as quickly without that lesson, by the end of the day I could do a few turns and was thoroughly hooked! Bought my own board by the time I next went back grin  and have just practiced whenever I could get to the slopes. Much more confidant doing general mountain runs now, can ride switch no problems, but I think I would probably like to get another more advanced lesson this year. Haven’t attempted anything in the park yet…...

Never had lessons. Sure, I do get tips and ride with mates that are insane at boarding, but I’ve never really got lessons.

I do regret it though, I have some friends that took lessons and they were already turning etc, while it took me a whole weekend to get mine up to scratch. Seriously guys, if your thinking of getting into riding. GET LESSONS! haha. You progress way faster then If you were to learn naturally.

the biggest reason to get lessons for me is this.  Its not the hardest thing to get yourself down a hill on a snowboard without lessons but i’d be pretty confident that the result would be counter rotation on your toe edge turns and pretty jurky movements.  The more you do the more you adapt and make the best of it with the methods you’ve figured out yourself.  I should know its exactly how i did it. And 8 seasons later i’d be killing it so much more if i’d started with a few lessons, with dodgy foundations you only ever get so far.  I know you might say i’m a snowboard instructor so i’m only saying this, but its 100% my opinion.

yeah i got lessons to start and continue to do so still every now and then. Started off in group lessons which were great - i had no chance of teaching myself and struggled even in the group lessons at the start. But once it clicked it clicked and now its awesome

Four years later i still ususall get a lesson a season - but now i usually have a private with one of the top instructors to refine the technique. Given that i don;t get a lot of time on the slopes, these lessons have been invaluable in getting me to where i am now. So for me lessons are well worth it - they let me maximise my fun in the snow by fast tracking my ability to tackle as much of the mountain as possible!

Locpender - 03 July 2009 11:17 PM

Four years later i still ususall get a lesson a season - but now i usually have a private with one of the top instructors to refine the technique. Given that i don;t get a lot of time on the slopes, these lessons have been invaluable in getting me to where i am now. So for me lessons are well worth it - they let me maximise my fun in the snow by fast tracking my ability to tackle as much of the mountain as possible!

Glad to hear this!
So many believe that learning is over and there’s no use for lessons once you learn to make a few turns, but they couldnt be more wrong.
You should be applauded for making sure you get an upper level instructor and even ask for a certified one too! that helps increase the demand for us and validate the need for certified instructors. Also these are the people who have been trained how to teach - assuring the most effective result for your hard earned money… which is what every paying customer deserves.

Good to have you here Loc, there’s plenty of good advice being shared on here.