The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Getting lessons

Poll: Did you have lessons to learn to snowboard?
Total Votes: 35
Yes
No

snowslider said it well. Lessons are always valuable regardless of the level. I see so many people bombing down the mountain and their technique is just horrible. It’s not to say they aren’t competent snowboarders, but they would progress so much faster if their technique was corrected. Sometimes I can’t help myself and I point out little things to people on the mountain. They are usually appreciative that I would take the time to try help them, but 99% of the time they were completely unaware of what they were doing wrong.

snowslider - 06 July 2009 01:15 AM
Locpender - 03 July 2009 11:17 PM

Four years later i still ususall get a lesson a season - but now i usually have a private with one of the top instructors to refine the technique. Given that i don;t get a lot of time on the slopes, these lessons have been invaluable in getting me to where i am now. So for me lessons are well worth it - they let me maximise my fun in the snow by fast tracking my ability to tackle as much of the mountain as possible!

Glad to hear this!
So many believe that learning is over and there’s no use for lessons once you learn to make a few turns, but they couldnt be more wrong.
You should be applauded for making sure you get an upper level instructor and even ask for a certified one too! that helps increase the demand for us and validate the need for certified instructors. Also these are the people who have been trained how to teach - assuring the most effective result for your hard earned money… which is what every paying customer deserves.

Good to have you here Loc, there’s plenty of good advice being shared on here.

yeah no worries - i try to get the same instructor each year as well - so we develop a good relationship. I think the consistency is great for progression. Having the same style of instruction really helps this. Also even though they may see 100s maybe 1000s of riders a year, they will often remember your own personal idiosyncracies and problems and help progression to become that little bit smoother.

I know exactly what you are saying, and I agree with you….
I choose to use different words to express the same thought, though.
I prefer to say that they can find a more effective way of controlling the board. This avoids the negative statement that they did something wrong… I encourage riders to try a different way to accomplish the same task.

Again it is like spinning FS off the toes - it is just another way to do the same thing.
I think that if the only way you can do a FS1 on flat is jumping straight up and spinning around… I’d consider a nose roll or a tail press with a slow rotation or an ollie, or a nollie, off the heel-edge, off the toe-edge…. how about going 180 but spinning BS instead. Various ways to the same end.
A versatile rider has various ways to perform the same task.

I enjoy avoiding some terms that just come naturally, and noone like to be told they are wrong.
Plus it fits with Burton’s slogan “No correct way” which in it’s basic form is so true.

Yet with all that said, in my own head and for the purposes of discussion between people critiquing someone’s technique.. I’d say there is definitely a wrong. yet if it works for them… its hard to convince them of that, ya know.

i wish mountains would try and promote park lessons more, obviously they’re fun to teach, but i’m worried by the amount of people i see in the park who scare the crap out of me.  For example in the park at the mountain i’m working at now they have an up box then a gap and a down box. this feature worries me and i’m always sure that i’m fully concentrated and warmed up when hitting it.  when i see people clearly less experienced come flying in at an angle and tun a metre before the first box and hit it in a scetchy manner i hate to watch.  don’t get me wrong i love their enthusiasm but i really don’t want to see someone wreck themeslves.  with a few basic tips they’d be much safer and learn stuff so much quicker.  i just think people assume lessons are for turning and thats all.

Maybe the resorts could introduce more coaching style lessons. It seems that when people can turn down a blue run, they give up lessons. The next lesson they get is when they want to be a snowboard instructor. There just seems to be nothing in the middle for people who want to improve their riding without wanting to become an instructor. I know the mountain workshops exist but they don’t often have many people in them.

have been riding for over 10 years - have had 1 lesson that was a waste of time 2 years ago

i get around the hill pretty well - i know i over rotate and i don’t carve that well & i prob have bad technique

my biggest problem is having the balls to try stuff - i don’t like riding fast and am afraid of hurting myself when trying jumps and boxes

i will probably be getting some private lessons this season on riding boxes, jumps, parks stuff

in the past i haven’t been able to afford to snowboard, let alone get lessons

what i saw that was great last seaons was a bunch going around with an AIS snowboard instructor/coach

that is what i need now as i have too many questions and things to learn, but don’t have the time, youth or the money for it

That’s where I think clinics in Australia would be ideal! Have a group to disperse the cost and have other students encourage you instead of just the instructor.

Caboose - 08 July 2009 11:21 AM

have been riding for over 10 years - have had 1 lesson that was a waste of time 2 years ago

i get around the hill pretty well - i know i over rotate and i don’t carve that well & i prob have bad technique

my biggest problem is having the balls to try stuff - i don’t like riding fast and am afraid of hurting myself when trying jumps and boxes

i will probably be getting some private lessons this season on riding boxes, jumps, parks stuff

in the past i haven’t been able to afford to snowboard, let alone get lessons

what i saw that was great last seaons was a bunch going around with an AIS snowboard instructor/coach

that is what i need now as i have too many questions and things to learn, but don’t have the time, youth or the money for it

CABoose, any chance you can get a part time job at the mountain?
This is how I’ve been able to afford going to the hill for so many years.

i agree speedy - clinics would be sweet - mountain workshops would work if you have a group of similar ability riders - always seems a few are punters or dragging the chain

snowslider - run my own business now, if i’m going to the snow i’m sliding

so we need a boardworld PB clinic wink

seems there are heaps of past instructors on this board

so i’m in :D

Caboose - 08 July 2009 10:04 PM

i agree speedy - clinics would be sweet - mountain workshops would work if you have a group of similar ability riders - always seems a few are punters or dragging the chain

snowslider - run my own business now, if i’m going to the snow i’m sliding

Sometimes businesses can get arrangements with the local hills. It all depends on your nature of business and number of employees etc.
Just trying to help, I know paying every day gets to be too much.
I’ve found that getting a couple years in at the hill and making friends that work there goes a long way.

I run my own business and choose to teach on the hill. I felt like a new challenge and loving it!

an idea might be if you and a few mates enjoy riding together on similar terrain or in the park for example, book a private lesson (it wouldn’t cost much per person if there were a few of you) and you’d be amazed how much you can learn with just a few hints from someone who has a good eye for analysis and rides with good clear technique.  There are so many things in common when it comes to hitting different park features well that are so easy and quick to learn but that people just don’t think about on their own all too often.

I think that if you can get one good point from each lesson you have, you’d be doing pretty well. After each lesson, practice the drills the instructor gives you so when you have your next lesson, you’re ready to move onto your next point.

Can anyone recommend a decent instructor for a freestyle lessons at Falls Creek?