The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Taking Falls?

Yeah, I know what it’s like when you’ve been off snow for a while. Just taking 1 year off almost killed me lol.
I’ll make the most of it as always, I just needed to watch some snow vids and now I’m good to go!

How common are serious injuriies in skateboarding. Like torn ligaments or the obvious broken bones. I always wear a helmet but thats it might get some wrist guards too but have only landed on my wrist a couple of times.

I was thinking of starting transition skating because St Kilda skate park looked fun but if im likely to get injured just from doing the basics then i won’t ill stick to the street.

If i take it slowly, skate within my abilities and wear padding can i get little to no injuries from transition and or street skating.

I think you’re just as likely to injure yourself skating street as you are transition.

If you want to get into skating transition and you’re a bit worried, wear pads, take it easy and you’ll be fine. Transition skating is awesome fun once you get the hang of it.

how often do injuries occur in either? Might look at some knee pads and maybe elbow and give it a go.

off topic will a 7.75 board work for both stret and transition? I’m on an 8 at the moment but thinking of coming down.

Same with any progressive sport really. Depends how much you push yourself. If you keep in the comfort zone and jsut stick with what you can do, then you prob wont hurt yourself. But if you push a bit harder, you will progress but you will mostly likely have a few falls while trying. Just the way it is

Why do you wanna come down in size? I think with transition you would be better off with a bigger platform for your feet to be on. What size are your feet?
It does come down to personal preferance though. So if you feel comfortable on a 7.75 then do it. If 8 feels too big then try something smaller

The 8 feels a bit big for technical tricks. I was kinda half and half though on the size and was starting to lean towards an 8 anyways as 7.75’s seem harder to find.

i have size 8 feet but might need 9 soon.

Cool. Well if you were after a 7.75 have a look at 24 skateboards. Cheap, awesome decks, free delivery. Aussie company
http://www.24skateboards.com/shop/featured-products?deck_size=9