The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Using Banks as a stepping stone?

I’ve been trying and trying to learn Backside 180s lately, but I could never land one.

Just for laughs I tried one going up my drive way. But after a few goes I landed one and rolled back down.
And I got a FS180 first go trying to do the same thing.
So I figure I’ll try them on a mellow bank at the park and try and get them comfortable. Then maybe i will be confident enough to do them on flat ground and roll away fakie.

So pretty stoked that I’ve figured out a different way to practice (I’m sure everyone else already does this, I just hadn’t tried it before).
My question is:

What tricks did you use banks to learn on?

And what are your favourite tricks to do on banks?

Out of the few I can actually do, I’d say varials would be my favourite. It’s awesome when you get a good catch and roll away fakie.

That would be cool, I’m not up to them myself yet. But I always liked seeing skaters do any sort of flip trick on a bank and then roll back down fakie.

Not sure why, I guess it just looks cool when it all slows to a stop and the flip happens in the pause. Almost like going into slow motion for the trick.

What’s “virals”?

spaz - 22 May 2013 06:25 AM

What’s “virals”?

A kickflip + pop shuv-it wink

Edit: Spaz are you not sleeping again? Varial, not viral lol LOL

Shuvit-flip/180-flip/half a 360flip

Nollie front side 180 feel nice on the bank. I can’t get kick flips to fakie but I would love to front side kick flip one like Penny

2:00 mark on this video.

I was skating home earlier and went up my drive way and too and remebered this thread and tried a bs 180 and almost got it after i hed tried on flat ground a few weeks ago and gave up to learn kickflips.
This has helped a lot i can almost do them flat ground now.

Rileyb1 - 24 May 2013 04:26 PM

I was skating home earlier and went up my drive way and too and remebered this thread and tried a bs 180 and almost got it after i hed tried on flat ground a few weeks ago and gave up to learn kickflips.
This has helped a lot i can almost do them flat ground now.

Cool, glad it worked for ya.
To me it makes it feel like a kick turn, it feels easier than doing them stationary.

I think what it is with learning tricks on a bank is the fact that you seem to stay over the top of your board. When you pop the trick you are coming to a stationary moment so instead of going forward or backwards from your deck, it is helping you pop up.
Quite a while back I remember skating this dodgy old bank in Sydney next to a canal. Went in with the idea of trying some tricks and ended up landing a stupid amount. It seems to work really well with tricks that involve a rotation.