The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Questionnaire on Skateboarding

Hi, I would like to ask a few questions on skateboarding for my project. Please help out

Thx:)

What is your name?(optional)

Are you a skateboarder?

Are you a street skater?

How long have you been skateboarding for?

How did you get into skateboarding?

How did you find skateboarding at first? Was it hard?

How long do you spend skateboarding in a week?

What is the first trick you learn to do?

Do you think there is an easier way to learn?

Does the board setup affect how you ride?

What is the size of your board?

How does the board affect you riding?

What board setup do you prefer? (board size, trucks, wheels)

Does a lighter skateboard help beginners learn how to skate?

What do you think about Penny boards?

Kris

Are you a skateboarder?
Yes.

Are you a street skater?
I skate a bit of everything.

On and off since I was 10. (22 now)

A mates older brother skated, we all thought it was cool so we started as well.

Yes, for a while all we would do was push around and acid drop off small ledges, learning to ollie and getting my first kickflip seemed like it took forever, but it got heaps easier once you got the basics down. Getting the balls to drop in the first time is a funny memory as well lol.

Got back into skating a bit more regularly over the last 2 months, trying to get out twice a week, normally skate for 1 - 2 hours when I get out.

Ollie, 180 (both ways), shuv-it, kickflip.

Just get down to your local park, meet new people, skate with people better than you. Lessons and camps would help as well I guess, The Shed indoor skatepark offers both, Ballistyx skate/snowboard shop offers lessons as well.

8.0 to 8.38 have been my last couple of boards.

I prefer the 8.38, I have size 11 feet, I think it gives me more room to catch flip tricks, and just more of area to balance on.

8.38 deck, medium loose trucks (is that even a thing? think of it as a medium rare steak in the middle of loose and tight but more to the loose side lol) wheels 52mm - 54mm

Probably not much.

Great… for 5 year olds to learn to push on. At least it’s not a scooter.

Thx Kope:)

Brad

Are you a skateboarder?
Yes

Are you a street skater?
Yes

Skated all through my teens (prob about 6years) and then stopped for 10yrs and got back into it and have been doing for probably 1.5-2yrs again

First time because friends at school did. Was a bit of an outcast early days of school and skating gave me a group.
Second time was because injury put me out of snowboarding at the end of the season and I got cabbin fever and wanted to get into it again. Got hooked and love it more than ever

Found it a long process the first time. Some things worked good for me (eg had a great ollie) but other tricks were hard to get.
Second time round, it came pretty quick having skated before. But being older, falls hurt more and you have more sense of self preservation so dont progress probably as much as I could. Thats what I find hardest now

3-5times a week. Depending on weather and other commitments. Usually out all weekend skating

Ollie, 180s and shuvits

Start YOUNG!!! Everything comes easier if you start young. I mean start before you are 10. You will pick it up heaps faster

Yes, for me it does. I cannot ride a board with tight trucks. Need them loosey goosey. A board too short or skinny I feel like im gonna fall off when i try tricks.

8.0 as a minimum. On 8.25 now and it is better. have ridde. 8.38 and that was perfect for me. Gonna set up an 8.5 for more transition style riding

A lot. Whether its placebo or not, if the board is really worn I feel like i cant pop. I like my boards fresh, snappy, clean grip and certain shapes. I like a fair bit of concave, big nose and smaller tail. If the board is too flat i feel like im on a beam of timber

8.35-8.38 board
149 indy trucks(though have 139 on my 8.25 and they are ok)
Loose trucks but not floppy. Bones medium bushings as loose as i can go
52-53mm HARD wheels (i like hard fast rolling and easy to slide wheels)

I notice if a board is heavy, but for a beginner probably wont effect too much. A lighter set up will help with pop and learning to ollie compared to the 10kg KMart set ups

I personally dont like riding them. If you have one and actually RIDE it I dont care, but hate posers that have them just to carry or are image wankers.
Better than scooters, because it will get kids amped on skating and move them onto a “normal” board

K2_TeacherBoy - 09 May 2013 09:44 AM

Andy

Are you a skateboarder?
Yes

Are you a street skater?
Not really, but I’m trying to learn more street style stuff. I’m more of a transition/half pipe kind of skater.

Seriously for about 2-3 years, but I’m snowboarding most of the year so I only get to skate in the gaps between the northern and southern winters. I did roll around town as a kid but only as transport.

I wanted to do something in between winter seasons when I couldn’t snowboard. I’ve tried skating, surfing and wakeboarding. But Skating is the one that I took too, cause you can do it any time, anywhere.

YES. Of course everything is tricky at first but I found skating transition was not too hard to learn. Street skating is pretty hard for me because I’m a Snowboarder so I’m not used to the board leaving my feet. But now I do a mix of street and transition skating. So I really enjoy tranny skating and I’m working on the basic street skills.

Usually about twice a week.

Ollie. Though my ollies still suck, they are better than they were as a kid. The only tricks I can do well are on transition.

I think setting yourself achievable goals is key. Don’t try to ollie and then learn to kickflip. I did this as a kid, it gets you now where and you’ll just want to give up. It’s way more progressive to learn every little trick you can. Even if that is learning to kick turn backside one day and then kick turn front side the next. The more time you spend on the board the better your basics get, and you’ll feel better about achieving a small goal every day then failing a big goal 10 days in a row and getting no where.

Definitely. You don’t need the most expensive of everything, but having a board that fits your height and shoe size is key.
There’s to many other examples to name them all.

8.5” Street Set up. 9” Transition set up.

A lot. I’m tall and have big feet, so I need wide boards. The wider the better. And longer too so I can stand wide enough that feels natural to me. The width of the board makes me feel stable and willing to skate more aggressively.

9” Deck
9” Indy Trucks (With Bones Hardcore Bushings - Black/White Hards)
I’m still experimenting with wheels haven’t decided my fav yet. My next set will be some 60mm, fairly soft.

Maybe a little but not much. The main concern is that the board fits you and it’s made by a real skate company, not a toy from K-mart like brad said.

I think most people start skating as a mode of transport and then either move into street and park skating later. So getting kids rolling on any kind of board is fine by me.
HOWEVER, I don’t really understand penny’s. They seem to have no advantage over other boards at all? So why buy one instead of a normal skateboard?
Normal board are good for street and park, long boards are good for bombing hills and cruising. What is a penny good for?

But whatever, if you’re rolling and your smiling, you’re doing it right.

Mark

Are you a skateboarder?

Some times

Are you a street skater?

I try and skate every thing. More transitions as I’m old now.

14 years

Swapped a cricket bat for a skateboard and fell in love.

Very hard but very fun. Yes, I confess I was a rollerblader before. One who could grind handrails and launch gaps.

Not much now maybe 2-3 hours. I’m old and lazy

I think after ollies was front side 180s.

Nope. Keep skating and keep on pushing.

Yes. I need it to feel perfect but not to new, I like it worn in.

Nice concave and a wider board but not an aircraft carrier.

7.75-8.0 , Venture and wheels any thing.

I think it all depends on the person.

They have a place and it gets more people in to skateboarding so it’s a good thing.