The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How do you prefer the search feature to work?

Hey guys,

Quick question…

The search has always been configured to search in titles and posts, meaning a lot of results come up (and often irrelevant). This is how it was working previously on the old forums. Personally, I found it annoying that so many irrelevant threads would come up.

The other option is we set the default search to only search in titles, meaning there would be less results, but easier to find if you are looking for a particular thread. The drawback is you won’t be able to search in the posts. You could of course use the advanced search if you want to search in posts.

I was ready to change it over but I just want to make sure I am not in the minority before we pull the trigger on this.

Would you prefer the default search to be set for titles and posts or just titles?

Titles i think are a better option for the basic search.

The amount of time i have spent on this forum and others (Aj can back me up on the search function on Ausrotary.com, was hell to use) searching through a million results for what i wanted was irritating.

Titles for me!!!!!

deanobruce - 29 April 2013 03:02 PM

Titles i think are a better option for the basic search.

The amount of time i have spent on this forum and others (Aj can back me up on the search function on Ausrotary.com, was hell to use) searching through a million results for what i wanted was irritating.

basic search meaning that will search in all sections of the forum for that specific word ??

Mizu Kuma - 29 April 2013 03:03 PM

Titles for me!!!!!

seriously kung-fu kicks for you

Titles only.

I found going to google and putting “Boardworld Separated” easier than trying to find it in the search…

lanox - 29 April 2013 03:11 PM
Mizu Kuma - 29 April 2013 03:03 PM

Titles for me!!!!!

seriously kung-fu kicks for you

Woah there, Bruce!!!!!

My post was a vote for titles!!!!!

I would like it to be intuitive, reading my thoughts and seamlessly taking me to the thread I wish for without lifting a finger.

You can do that for us, yes?

Only if that word is in a title of a thread Lanox

default search just be titles. Advanced search within threads as well, sounds good to me.

I QUIET

Azz - 29 April 2013 03:38 PM

I would like it to be intuitive, reading my thoughts and seamlessly taking me to the thread I wish for without lifting a finger.

You can do that for us, yes?

Agreed. Search feature should read my mind when I hover the cursor over the search button.
I shouldn’t have to risk RSI.

I am happy for this to just be search titles only.

Can I say though that there are heaps of other things I would love to be fixed before this - cause you can always google anything you want to find on BW.

^^ We have a comprehensive list of all bugs and requests that have been reported to us. We are working through one at a time and trying to fix them (in priority order). The bigger stuff is obviously our priority but they take longer to fix. Lano and nacho are working their way through.

What do you consider the most important issues at the moment?

The Reporting button thingy… you still can’t report Spam (that we are still getting)

And being able to see new threads or something (ANYTHING!) that was last posted in mobile view.

And new PM’s somehow being highlighted (besides being emailed)

Report button will be fixed very soon. Where have we been getting spam? I haven’t seen any. Our anti-spam add-on seems to be working a treat.

Mobile view is a big one we are working on. The whole layout needs fixing. Agreed this is a major priority.

Visual PM notification will be coming soon as well.