The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your opinion on coloured griptape

Ok, pretty much I was wondering whether anyone here rides coloured griptape and if they find it any different to the plain black. I work in a skate shop and when a kid wants grip I usually reccommend black. So far I’ve had clear grip a while back, which was bumpy and coarse and ripped my shoes to shreds and the boards I’ve ridden with coloured grip seem to be over-grippy or under-grippy. So tell me, do you notice any difference?

I ride with clear grip tape atm but haven’t noticed any difference. I don’t ride all that much though, so for me, its fine.

In the years I’ve spent working in a skate shop, the general consensus between staff members and skaters is that black grip tape has a more consistent feel and has better grip in general. As you mentioned, coloured grip tape tends to be over or under in regards to the right texture. Usually just by looking at the grips up close you can tell that the black is better quality.

BLACK GRIP, BLACK GRIP, BLACK GRIP

Now that i have your attention. Black grip by far. Although saying that there are some companies that do really bad standard black grip. Personal choices are Jessup, MOB and Modus have generally been really good.

Some companies have done some good colour grip like negative one and fkd. The problem with coloured grip is the fact that they can’t get the grit the same and it won’t last as long because of the extra colour added.

Colour is fine for old school/cruiser boards where they are not used to often and the grit won’t wear down super quick. But till then i will say BLACK GRIP, BLACK GRIP, BLACK GRIP.

As they say once you have had black there is no going back.

There is always Jerry or Elen??? Who knows Oprah has even made Tom Cruise look like an idiot.

Tom Cruise made Tom Cruise look like an idiot.  raspberry

It has been years since I even got a board and needed to think about this…
but I recall from my years of skating, and it seems that not much has changed.

The colors and clears diddnt hold up after a summer of skating, like black grip tape did.
I’ve had clear a couple times, and once I got pink. I recall that being quite coarse, but then wearing out fast as well.

That is true snowslider. Reason being the coarser the tape is the more like the grit is to come off. The amount of pressure that gets put on those poor bit of grip tape that could of been black little bits is a shame.

black grip. nothing else.

any color will eventually become black after use no?!? smile

not only do i like the basic black colour better but i think it looks better. it just looks fresh and has a great feel to it.

Cheers guys, I’m riding Modus grip at the moment and it’s freeeeeesh!

Black grip is always the way to go. Never been a fan of colored grip or pattern grip.
I find usually a light sanding with the cut offs is good so it doesn’t wreck your shoes and allows some sliding when doing tricks.
Also like to file it back about 3 mm’s from the edge to give it a nice clean look.

Jessup or black magic ftw

I personally dislike coloured grip. It gets ruined with dirt and everything so quickly. Just get normal grip, nothing fancy