The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

the first movement for turn initation

This is a very basic, very open-ended question about turn initiation.

What is the very first thing a rider should to do begin and initiate the turn?
Say the rider is on a straight flat run, the nose of the board is directly down the fall line.
The rider wants to initiate a turn…. what is the FIRST thing the rider should do.

I dont look for a correct answer, I look for a good conversation with a variety of perspectives.
I’d like to hear from those that have been trained instructors, and equally those that have not been trained, on how and what to teach.

Turn on your signal lights?

of course this is a silly answer but after thinking abOUT it , it`s not a bad idea to know if that turn is going to make you hit something or someone..

This isn’t as simple as it sounds. I think my answer would be different depending on the level of the rider and what turn performance you are trying to achieve.

For a more high performance turn, I think my feet would be first to react, definately by applying pressure with my front foot into the turn direction.

I wouldn’t teach that to someone learning a basic turn however.

I am interested to see how people answer this question. I will join the discussion again later today (5am on a Monday morning is not ideal smile).

Eyes

That was my initial thought also, and is probably correct for basic/intermediate turns, but at high speed I could definately get my board to respond faster by using my feet. You should always look where you are going, but just say I was looking in the wrong direction, or decided to keep looking straight ahead, I could still get the board to respond super quick without using my eyes.

I think this comes back to level of riding and the type of turn.

Actually looking back on the question… what should happen first, most turns I would agree, eyes. That said, It’s not the most important.

This is a really good question, snowslider.

brain?
this is hard… because now when i ride no conscious thought really seems to go into it…. it just happens, kind of like walking. i think it seems like my whole body reacts and everything just works together, very hard to define where exactly moves or reacts first…. maybe knees to feet in unison. to me standing here right now it seems like feet/leg/knee then waist and above following.

You are now in the autonomous stage of learning- haha I would say that in that case the first thing initiating your turn is your whole being, you’re at one with the snowboard.

Additionally I try to make a habit of looking where I want to go first, if for nothing else I can see there is nobody else there…....so eyes for me as well

I’ve been holding out on this comment…
The conversations about visualization is part of what got me thinking about this.

We talk about visualization for doing a 270 on a box, or doing our first 360… how about that first turn???
even before heading down the fall line couldnt the learner benefit from some visualization exercise?
When I’m planning my line down some bumps, I think I visualize, or internally visualize and imagine the feel of hitting the bumps, and finding a rhythm down the bumps.

I’d say that the first thing I do is MOVE my brain to think it through - imagine what it will feel like when the board first starts to turn, what it will fee like mid turn, and what position my body will end up in at the end of the turn. It’s like planning out my steps. It’s thinking through a little progression of the turn.

My INTERNAL eyes do the movement first - I visualize.

What is the first body movement?
possibly weighting the front of the board.
possibly by bending the front knee, moving the hip more over the toe or heel (which ever I am turning toward), and maybe bending the ankle to accenuate that pressure on either the toe or heel.

I’d like to hear more input from others, this is good.

Interesting topic.  I think the better you get at riding the more you use the smaller joints in you body, especially your legs.  when i’m riding with a flat base or faily flat base i’m really focusing most of my concentration on the pressure distribution alond the length of my foot and to do this i mostly use the ankle joint.  I think the ankle really gives you the subtle feel while riding, the bigger joints, hip and upper body provide the decision for the direction but the knees and ankle provide the more precise details like size of turn, controlling grip while sliding etc…  so i guess what i’m trying to say is that the first thing for me is usually the ankle but i’m not argueing with people who mention eyes and brain, kinda key i’ll concede!

To initiate a high speed turn; that happened 2-3 turns ago.

The human brain exists in a time space removed from reality; about 1sec in the past - by the time it has processed the information gathered from our senses the moment is gone. Isn’t this why visualisation is so important - so your brain and body have a practice run and know what to do, to implement the movement during reality not after the thought process and reactive time.

So for a high speed turn; eyes are useless (for me anyway) - every thing is a blur because of the vibration. I’m concentrating on two turns away, the space I want to be at, that if I fall momentum and gravity wont put me into a tree, tower etc. I allow my body to react and not think about what my body is doing, that just slows down reaction speed, my brain is processing what’s happening 1 sec in the future, that way I’m a little prepared for now.

Spaz, I love this explanation!

I may have mentioned it here before, but when riding gates (like a slalom course - the little flags) you are taught to read ahead 3 gates so you know where and when and how you will turn BEFORE you even get there.
I teach the same for bumps, pick your line and always stay 2-3 bumps ahead - in your mind.

Great component to add to this.

I was really intending to have this topic go toward what body movement and what part of the body for example… but replies like this is why I bring something like this up. I enjoy learning the perspectives that others have.

I hope this topic doesnt die here. I know there are other comments that others have.