The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Why I don’t like trees….

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fe9_1356514000

I actually like wide open tree runs (arthurs choice and tree runs of the 7th cat tracks on blackcomb are my favorites) but tree wells scared the heck out of me. And ever since I hit a tree last month, I always go slow in trees. I thought tree wells only occur at trees with low hanging branches but here it seems like it can occur anywhere. Watching stuff like this happen makes me reluctant to ride trees on a deep pow day.

holy crap. Looked more like a creek line or something like that, could be wrong though. so lucky he was with friends! This makes me want to get an avilung

That makes me not want to go by my self areas like that

Crap! I’ve never ridden in any serious pow and now I’m rethinking the whole, “it’ll be alright” attitude. I think I’ll need to be a whole lot more prepared for how much Mother Nature can whoop my ass..

If headin off the groomers (Even Inbounds), always ride with a mate or to!!!!!

There were Cracks in the Snow Pack as big as a Whale, in Niseko this season!!!!!

On my first ever powder riding day I was caught in a deep crevasse with out any safety gear and had a very hard situation getting out. I had to walk down it while trying not to be buried. Very scary as I thought I was gone. My mate was riding in front as a more experienced rider left me there. I finally made it to a cat track but was caught in a area for like storm water. Mate walked back up the cat track and had to use is board to get me out. All the way was up to my nipples in deep snow. Never again.

Mizu Kuma - 13 March 2013 06:22 AM

If headin off the groomers (Even Inbounds), always ride with a mate or to!!!!!

There were Cracks in the Snow Pack as big as a Whale, in Niseko this season!!!!!

But I thought the golden rule was there are no mates on a powder day raspberry

Ohhh, ya definitely make sure that you get the front seat!!!!!

Just take mates that are good at digging!!!!!  LOL

Yeah sounds good just have to hope they don’t have to try to dig me out in a hurry.

It doesn’t matter if you ride with a friend if he just goes ahead of you and never look back. Or took a different path than you in the middle of the run.

This is where I wish BW had a function that you could tag screen name to get someone to look in a thread ie DRC…

I am with you though skip I much prefer a bowl than trees!

ZOMG that looks like some sick pow tree runs! drool

Does anyone know of any cheap, singles accommodation in that area?

Definitely agree you need the right safety gear to venture out there. I’d recommend packing a muesli bar (or protein bars for those with nut allergies), a whistle (metal not plastic) and a DriftHD to record it and go viral for sure!

@drc13: I agree with you it looks like sick tree run, with awesome pow and nicely spaced trees. But no so awesome when you fell into a creek or tree well haha.

skip11 - 13 March 2013 05:46 PM

@drc13: I agree with you it looks like sick tree run, with awesome pow and nicely spaced trees. But no so awesome when you fell into a creek or tree well haha.

Haha I agree mate, please note my post above was with tongue firmly in cheek!

Although I’ve already seen stuff like this before this video it’s great you posted it as the more information people can get on this stuff the better.

Time for all of us to get those sick new goggles with the GPS friend tracker.

skip11 - 13 March 2013 07:29 AM

It doesn’t matter if you ride with a friend if he just goes ahead of you and never look back. Or took a different path than you in the middle of the run.

Well that’s not really riding with someone then, is it!!!!!

Those guys in the vid did the right thing, they rode in a group, and that’s why he lives to tell the tale!!!!!

I remember there was a guy last season on Blackcomb that was riding solo, and they found him dead only a few hours later!!!!!

You can also have all the top notch gear that money can buy, but if ya on ya own ya may as well have none!!!!!

You can also be out in the open, and there can be a well caused by a smaller tree, a river or a creek, a crack due to changing weather/temps etc etc!!!!!