The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Need help with a first skateboard.

So I want to take up skateboarding, but I need some help with the hardware.
I know it all depends on a budget but right now I don’t have one, so I’m looking for something that isn’t cheap and I can’t do anything with, and I don’t want something that will set me back hundreds.

I will mainly be skating street, so wheels for cruising over pavements that won’t send me flying over a crack are needed.
So basically, a mid range setup that is good for transportation over most street surfaces, with the ability to trick and skate vert if I ever want to.

Thank you for reading.

Hey Nylus welcome to Boardworld.

Don’t worry about your double post, taken care of.

First off some questions. What is your shoe size? Height? As well as ability with sports in general?

Are you in Australia or somewhere else? Reason being for product recommendation as the brands here in the UK are different to OZ.

If you are looking to get yourself a decent complete without spending the earth, premade completes can save you some cash. Only downside is that you have to basically get what is given to you.

Other option is setting it up from scratch, which can be more expensive. If you are going to go down this path here are some pointers on what to spend the money on.

Trucks. These are the most important part, because if you buy cheap ones they won’t turn and will break really quickly. A good set of trucks will last you years.

Bearings and wheels. Putting these two together for the fact that if you buy a rubbish set of either you won’t be going anywhere fast. Bones Reds and Modus Abec 3 are a good starting point. Wheels wise you want to have something around the 55mm size if you are looking to roll over some cracks and possibly do some vert. They are also not too big for doing tricks.

Deck. Reason why I have put this last is the fact that it us usually the first thing to go. They chip, get soggy or just break. Also because it will take you time to figure out what shape you really like. Don’t spend heaps, but also don’t go too cheap otherwise it will be annoying.

Well, I was in rebel sports a few weeks ago and they had blind and birdhouse completes for 100 each

Hey Nylus

Without getting too specific, here’s some advice from someone who took up skating a year or too back (and still rolling btw, love it now)

With the deck I think riding a deck that is considered wide for your foot size is a good idea. It gave me more confidence and a larger platform to balance on.
Longer decks are a good idea too if you are tall.

Wheels you are very correct about wanting bigger wheels for street. I know lots of street skaters who skate on tiny wheels but for a begginer I think the main thing is just not getting thrown off by rocks etc.
You eyes will sharpen to spot rocks and you feet will learn to absorb cracks as you get better, but stick too big wheels for now so you stack less and stay stoked.
I found soft wheels feel good too.

Trucks are a choice of what feels good too you. Just make sure they fit your deck width. Also using them fairly tight to begin with is easier imo.

My shoe size is UK 8, and I’m around 5’7.
Yeah, I’m from the UK.
I never play sports, only in school and the brief time that I skated before.
So bigger wheels are better for skating over rough pavements and cracks/stones etc?

I would really prefer to get a complete board, mainly due to the issue of money, but I wouldn’t mind having to do it from scratch if need be.

Any other questions that will help you in guiding me?

Also, I’m comfortable with buying stuff online, just in case that’s a factor.

Hey Nylus,

Deck wise in the UK, Fracture is a company that does decent decks at a good price they are usually around the 25-30 quid mark. With your foot size I would say look at roughly an 8 inch wide deck.

I have found that Venture trucks tend to be the cheaper good quality truck at roughly 42 quid a set. Size wise you want to have trucks that are 5.25 wide.

Bearings again can’t go wrong with Bones reds or some Blueprints.

Wheels some of the Landscape wheels are cheap and good.

Where in the UK are you based mate?

25-30 for just the deck?
I was looking around online today and most were like 40 quid for just the deck, so I’ll definitely look into Fracture.

Know any websites I could take a look at?

I’m in Scotland.

My phone double posted again. Sorry

Have a look at route one for UK based skate website, they also have some stores scattered around the UK. From what I understand there isn’t a lot of skate stores in Scotland unless attached to a park.

At the moment though Route one are doing Fracture decks for £19.99 and they have some pretty decent deals going on for wheels and so forth. The Fracture decks come from the same woodshop as Jart do, they changed woodshops to get better quality boards for people.

Have a look at route one for UK based skate website, they also have some stores scattered around the UK. From what I understand there isn’t a lot of skate stores in Scotland unless attached to a park.

At the moment though Route one are doing Fracture decks for £19.99 and they have some pretty decent deals going on for wheels and so forth. The Fracture decks come from the same woodshop as Jart do, they changed woodshops to get better quality boards for people.

I went on and added a deck and trucks to a basket, I couldn’t find any Landscape wheels though.

Try some of the Pig wheels or OJ wheels. They are 19.99 at the moment mate.

The Pig wheels look sick.
Do they have to be EXACTLY 55 mm?
Or is it just as long as they’re within 50-60 mm or something?

Not sure with the Route One guys, but if you at least get the 54 or 56mm they be good. They will still roll well.

I added in the deck, trucks and wheels, wasn’t expecting it to be that expensive.
I think for now I’ll just go with a complete, and add parts on when I get better and have more money.
Any good completes you could advise?

What is your price limit Nylus?