The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boardworld iOS appication(app. For apple mobile device)

Hey guys,
I have been doing surveys and case studies on community networking, i need your help and input on ideas etc.
I have been in the iOS(iphone, ipad, ipod touch) coding and design industry for 3 years, working on projects in and out of Australia. I have contributed into many applications such as foursquare(social networking), fruit ninja, hawx, doodle jump and touchgrind.
To keep in contact with friends, families and businesses we use a form of contact that only has been introduced in the last decade. As you all know boardworld has an ever increasing audience.
Optimisation of access to the community is crucial in order to keep things running smoothly.

IF there were to be boardworld application made, what are some features you like to see in it? 

Cheers.

I was actually giving this topic serious thought a few weeks ago. I think videos are pretty crucial (i.e. the videos we feature on the front page). I know it could only be videos that we actually upload and not embed, but still, I think videos would have to be a part of it.

A mobile version of the forums would also be a priority. Maybe it would just show the latest topics and topics you’ve already replied to?

A product/store guide would be pretty rad.

I’m interested to hear what others think.

Mizu Kuma - 07 October 2010 01:31 AM

What about some kind of quick image upload link so members can upload an image from the snow instantly and as easy as, for the rest of the community to check out????

I like that idea. We could even make a new area on the forums, ‘mobile uploads’.

Most forums nowarday have social platforms integrated into it, just like Perisher Tapped application - you can actually add friends, Instant messege, track where friends are on the mountain. Another integration that couldbe useful are snow camera’s and reports, maybe terrain maps can also be added.

Rider, do you have any idea what type of forum you have running? (e.g. phpBB, etc)

I know we run on Expression Engine. If you have any specific questions I can ask our developers.

Mizu Kuma - 07 October 2010 03:09 AM

Make sure it can run on an Android platform as well!!! I know that heaps of people that don’t have an iphone!!! Like me!!!  shut eye

Hmm, I am planning to make one for boardworld, personal use only- employing the process of testing and modifying.
Given that i’ve GRANTED permission from rider it MAY be released, this could be a long process as I have not talked to Rider about any of this. The platform will interact with boardworld just like how you guys view it on your PC/Macs only this application optmises viewing on the iPhone platforms with a few extra tweaks, I plan to utilise Twitter, Facebook and misc. social networking sites and combine it into the app.
I have currently made no planning whatsoever, but am considering it.

Sounds good. Feel me to contact me when you’re ready to talk about it.

Sure rider, I’ll start gathering features and ideas.

yeah I’ll second Mizu’s call for it to be available for Android as well….we’re not all Apple freaks!

Vidz, vidz, vidz.
smile

I’ll be looking into iOS myself over summer.

For BW, how about incorporating ‘how to-board’ in an app? An instructor in your pocket!

Already had that in mind, you’ll be able whip out your phone on the slopes and throw the trick down wink

Mizu Kuma - 08 October 2010 05:13 AM
snowforshow - 08 October 2010 02:46 AM

Already had that in mind, you’ll be able whip out your phone on the slopes and throw the trick down wink

Sounds easy enough!!! Make sure ya have the ‘smash screen on rail move’ in the rep!!!

1st trick in the book mate, I’ll have to look into Android for you! not to familiar with it.

Okay, so I have designed the layout. Who wants to see pics?

pics already? Cool, show us what you’ve got!  smile

It still needs ALOT of work (Work in progress) , but these just some renders/illustrations of what the interface looks like (for now…..)

Pretty sweet for a work in progress, cant wait to see the real thing!