The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Burtons EST

Enn Zed - 21 June 2009 01:27 AM
Jez. - 19 June 2009 05:23 PM

There is no adapter for EST bindings. EST bindings can only fit on a Burton board with the channel system. However any binding can fit on a board with the channel system (the boards come with baseplates that attach to the channel).

Woah, just define that a little further - any BURTON binding can fit on a board with the channel system. Some other companies are apparently making discs that work, other companies aren’t.

Hah, one of the trendy retail dudes at the Burton HQ store in Vermont tried to tell my friend that if she bought a feelgood her Ride bindings would definitely fit on it. Wrong. Good thing I stepped in before she was conned :)

Yeah. Any binding with a Burton sized baseplate. Ride bindings never go on a Burton board properly because their baseplates are too big. I should have been more specific.

So you need to use the burton disc (with the center hole), with the other companies binding?

snowslider - 21 June 2009 03:38 AM

So you need to use the burton disc (with the center hole), with the other companies binding?

Right, if it’s the same diameter and the teeth line up.

Shredlife - 21 June 2009 02:15 AM

this discussion is rendered null and void, as Burton EST bindings can’t attach to Libtech boards. If you can’t ride the binding on a lib, why make the binding?

I’ve heard terrible things about EST bindings sliding around, the boards breaking due to pressure cracks along the channels etc, all from riders who put them through 50-100 days a year.

Jer - I know you love them ,but I hate Burton’s exclusive system, their commitment to my friggin Ion boots breaking, and their commitment to suck. Only good thing is - you break a Burton binding, usually get it back within a week fixed. Go corporate monstrosity warranty system.

I take your point, but the discussion goes on. smile

Every EST binding also comes in a normal version. Have a look at the range of Burton bindings. You have the Triad EST, but you also have the Triad. You have the Cartel EST, but you also have the Cartel. Same with CO2s etc.. That renders your first point null and void. If you want Cartels on a Lib Tech, what’s stopping you?

The same goes for most the boards, with the exception of a few. You have the Channel version and the normal 3D version.

The EST bindings were made specifically for the Burton Channel, because that’s how it works best. You need the Channel to get the infinate stance options. Consumers have a clear choice; you either want infinate stance options or you don’t. If you decide you don’t, well, as I mentioned there are Burton non-EST/channel products, or a million other brands to choose from. I don’t think we should be hating just because they are the market leader and have come up with a unique product that works just for Burton. That’s how technology progresses, just like riding, someone has to push it. No one is forcing anyone to buy it.

Honestly, have you heard or seen those problems? I definately fall into the 100+ days category and I must say my binding have not slipped once. I have sold lots of EST/Channel systems and again we have not had one return. I have tested the system with 20 or more store managers and again no mention of any slippage.

Anyway, that’s my honest opinion. I am more than happy to discuss this.

Enn Zed - 21 June 2009 03:45 AM

Which bindings can anyone confirm that 100% without a doubt do work with Burton discs, such as the Burton EST bindings?

snowslider - 21 June 2009 03:49 AM

Which bindings can anyone confirm that 100% without a doubt do work with Burton discs, such as the Burton EST bindings?

My money says Doc   can name every one..

I think it’s kind of pointless buying a channel board to put normal bindings on it. You can still slide your bindings along the board, but you lose much of the advantage of the board/system. There are so many other boards to choose from in the Burton range and other brands.

Yo Jer i’d be totally down to mount Cartels or any other burton binding, too bad every pair of Burton bindings I’ve ever owned have blown up on me. From those franken pair I gave to your house to my Freestyles, they’ve always let me down.

the purpose or ‘highlight’ of an EST binding is the foam bottoms and channel screws (even though those slip, ref: mathias @ schools b2, paul from the same pod, raphael… they’ve all complained to me about their channel being set at a 24” stance or whatnot, and finishing their run with a 26” stance and weird angles.

furthermore, when burton DOES give you a binding to mount ‘regular boards’ they neglect to pad the disc, demonstrating their obvious lack of commitment to riders not on an EST. how much time does it take to make a binding plate cap like rome does… seriously.

Any binding with a normal Burton-sized baseplate will work.

EST bindings will only fit on a Burton channel board.

Jez. - 21 June 2009 03:54 AM

I think it’s kind of pointless buying a channel board to put normal bindings on it. You can still slide your bindings along the board, but you lose much of the advantage of the board/system. There are so many other boards to choose from in the Burton range and other brands.

I agree, but it is important to consider that the majority of people dont get to buy a board and binding at the same time.
Most get to buy one or the other.

Burton or other companies will soon find a way to market not only a way that the binding and board “must” fit together, but also for the boot/binding/board.
It is good for the company, of course, because they lock you into belief of their system, but in order to get the full effect, you have to buy all their products… it’s simply good marketing.
Such as say, a boot with less underfoot (or a softer underfoot) material, to enhance board feel.
I believe in staying with a company that makes products fit together, for example, If the day comes that I switch to Flow bindings, I’d very strongly consider their boots as well.

I think the first generation Burton ions, were the softest underfoot I’ve ever felt in a boot, and I still use them, I cant give them up as long as they stay stitched together…

Jez. - 21 June 2009 03:59 AM

Any binding with a normal Burton-sized baseplate will work.

EST bindings will only fit on a Burton channel board.

I think he was asking which brands. I’ve seen Unions fit onto the channel, and maybe Romes. Ride, K2 and Flow are a no, unless they’re bringing out disks of their own for 2010.

I’ve had Cartels (non-EST of course) on my libs for the past 3 seasons. I rock Cartels because they’re simple and just do exactly what I want. I think I’ll pick up a pair of Unions next, it’s time to get off the Burton hardgoods train. Analog gets enough of my money!

Enn Zed - 21 June 2009 06:54 PM

I think he was asking which brands. I’ve seen Unions fit onto the channel, and maybe Romes. Ride, K2 and Flow are a no, unless they’re bringing out disks of their own for 2010.

I’ve had Cartels (non-EST of course) on my libs for the past 3 seasons. I rock Cartels because they’re simple and just do exactly what I want. I think I’ll pick up a pair of Unions next, it’s time to get off the Burton hardgoods train. Analog gets enough of my money!

You’re right, that is what I was wanting.

Union does seem to make a good binding.
I still really like Burton Bindings, but I’d be willing to try another brand. Union ranks high up there in my level of interest, but I dont have a local distributor that I am aware of where I can look at them.

I liked some Nidecker bindings from years ago, but only saw them in pictures.
I’m curious about Celcius boots, anyone seen them yet?

Just before i snapped my old uninc, i had been thinking of going back to flux bindings. But the opportunity came up to get some p1s so ended up doing that. Then i snapped the deck and decided to get another uninc with the ics! The choice was there to run my fairly new p1s, or go all in and get the est bindings with the board…. I went with the latter. i figured make the most of the system, even though the uninc est i got was pretty much identical in feel and performance to the p1. I think it was the best choice, now i know some would say waste of money etc, but i figured make the most of the system and i am glad i did…. The whole thing rocks, and until you ride it, dont knock it.

Flux are decent too, either them or Union would be my personal pick.

Ridden an est board/bindings 15-20 days
They are more forgiving on landings, you can notice better board feel.
Adjusting your stance is super simple.
Only downside I have come across is the screws can slip if you dont have them tight enough.
If they keep slipping check your screw to make sure you havent lost a rubber washer
Just make sure to tighten before you ride