The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Getting Castled in Tahiti!

These waves are frigging unbelievable!
not barrels but castles!

Can’t watch this atm, but saw a bit on the news last night!!!!

Such a heavy wave!!!!

Not being a surfer…...... what happens to the guys that getting eaten up?

I am guessing the water is not that deep and the reef is there to tear you to shreds?

Amazing wave, hats off to those guys from riding it. Very impressive.

ya get rag dolled by the shear force of tons of fast moving water, lose all sense of direction, ya body burns oxygen at an amazing rate and on top of that if ya lucky ya don’t get grated along the coral covered volcanic rock bottom!!!!

Yeah it’s not pretty. Lots of surfers get seriously banged up on the reef. Surfers have lost their lives at Teahupoo. If you ever get the chance, watch a surf film called ‘Blackwater’ - it’s awesome! I can bring it to The Shred if anyone wants to watch it.

Incredible video, CRACKERS. Thanks for posting. I’ve posted it on our Facebook page too.

Here’s another video from the same session…

Here’s another sick video that Billabong just released. Filmed on the Phantom HD video camera (super smooth slowmo).

pretty sure one of them broke their ankle out there and Bruce Irons had his boardshorts completely ripped off and came up in the lagoon, naked.

this shit is hectic never seen anything like it ay

KS11??????

Sounds pretty swell rider I’ll check that movie out, is it a doco?

Yeah it’s a documentary about Teahupoo. Lots of amazing surfing footage too, definitely worth watching.

http://www.dvdwarehouse.com.au/blackwater-may-daze.html

puts the G in Gnar .......

Bloody hell mate, the lips and blow outs on those wave is intense.

rider26 - 29 August 2011 12:59 AM

Here’s another sick video that Billabong just released. Filmed on the Phantom HD video camera (super smooth slowmo).

Watching that made we go solid in the wee-wee. Majestic!!

MU

CRACKERS - 28 August 2011 11:17 PM

These waves are frigging unbelievable!
not barrels but castles!

The way the reef causes the wave to rise up and accelerate would be terrifying if you weren’t prepared for it. A couple of my nephews have surfed that break (surfing since 5 yo Narrabeen) and they said nothing could prepare you for it.

MU