The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Stylewars 2009

It’s that time of year again: STYLEWARS 2009

Australia’s premier annual snowboarding festival will shake the foundations of Falls Creek next week in its seventh year running, with tricks stomped by international and local snowboarders, combined with rocking beats that come alive each night.

The four-day festival, which is an integral part of the prestigious TTR (Ticket To Ride) World Snowboard Tour, will kick off on Monday the 24th of August.  Heralding an impressive history, `07 Stylewars witnessed the world’s biggest jump ever in competition, measuring a whopping 145 feet from take off to landing and last year saw the icy jaws of the Red Bull gap where if not cleared safely would have resulted in running into a wall of ice and plummeting 3 stories to the flat.

Torstein Horgmo, from Norway, nabbed the title of Stylewars Grandmaster in `07 and had it narrowly stolen from him in `08 by the dark horse Charles Reid from Canada.  Reid will be back this year defending his win after 12 months of huge results placing him at the top of the World Ranking list on a number of occasions.  However, he has some serious contenders to deal with.

This year, the Stylewars line-up is proud to confirm Sebastien Toutant, from Canada, who made history last week with the first backside double corked 1440 ever mastered in major competition, fast-tracking him to win first place at the Burton NZ Open in Slopestyle.  Let’s see if he can match his performance down under once more.

Australian favourites hitting the famous Stylewars course this year are former Stylewars Grandmaster Ryan Tiene of international snowboard film fame, Jye Kearney, the 16 year old with talent as big as his stature, and Nathan Perry and Tim Laidlaw straight off the back of their Quiksilver win at the Mountain Dew Hut Battle for Supremacy.

Wednesday night brings an additional feast for the senses for all Stylewars spectators in the Village Bowl with an under-light Rail Jam consisting of a 28-stair set-up rocking to the beats of DJ Perplex the 3-time Australian DMC DJ champion.

Notorious for nightlife that matches up to performances on the slopes, live music will be hosted each night from Tuesday through to the Friday at Falls Creek’s most popular hangouts, the Man and the Frying Pan.

Featuring top acts including Space Invadas, Koolism, DJ Danialsan, Katalyst, Motley and DJ Perplex, make sure you get organised and book your booty in for some back to back entertainment for four entire days and nights.

Rider List Stylewars 2009

Sebastien Toutant [CAN], Charles Reid [CAN], Danny Kass [USA], Matts Kulisek [CAN], Mikkel Bang [NOR], Eric Willett [USA], Mark Sollars [CAN], Marco Grilc [SLO], Sage Kotsenburg [USA], Chris Kroll [AU], Michael Stanschitz [AU], Herby Thaler [AU], Jacob Koia [NZ], Ryan Tiene [AUS], Jye Kearney [AUS], Nick Gregory [AUS], Nathan Perry [AUS], Cohen Davies [AUS], Andy Lloyd [AUS], Darragh Walsh [AUS], Christopher de Campo [AUS], Charlie Steinbacher [AUS], Ben Fawcett [AUS], Mikey Williams [AUS], Adrian Pelly [AUS], Sam Murphy [AUS], Tim Laidlaw [AUS], Andrew Roth [AUS], Iver Lynne [AUS], Steve Tongnazini [AUS], Tom Pelley [AUS], Chris Eacott [AUS]

And rothy makes an appearance on the guestlist once more….
i wish i could miss out on as much school as he does

Anyone goign up for stylewars? Soudns liek it will be a great week with even better riders

I won’t be there, but I’m looking forward to photos from Nudge and Nelson. No doubt it will be a great event. The jump is always huge and the riders are world class. Looking forward to this one…

There are a couple of mad Dj’s pumping out some sick beats by the sound of it too

golfpunklegend - 22 August 2009 11:58 PM

There are a couple of mad Dj’s pumping out some sick beats by the sound of it too

What are the DJs mad about?

ermmm music?
they have some great music performances happening during stylewars

lmao think snowslider is messing with u a bit golfpunk. He wants to know what they are angry about…as in mad. lol. anyway im hoping to get some time off from work to get some shots, missed out on big air so fingers crossed. Im sure nelson will be out there.

ahaha sorry dude. i was multi-tasking then. maybe put a little raspberry at the end of it next time ;]

smile

DJs are mad.
If you’re cool you’re bad.
Landing a switch BS 9 into pow is sick.
...and when I was riding during my mid summer the other day, it was dope.

No wonder our parents dont understand us.

What will my kids be saying that I wont understand.
Hmmm.

Check the promo video on the front page. Just posted.

Great promo out the front man smile

Update…

Monday, 24th August.

The weather has not been with Stylewars this year throwing rain and 100km winds at us on our first day (warm up day). Add to that the last few weeks of crazy warm weather, fog and rain we now have 2 days of blizzards predicted so it will be an interesting event for sure. Could be a powder day tomorrow for the first day of competition.

Stay tuned to see what happens. The park is currently a single large kicker (not as large as the past due to snow limitations but still large enough for good trciks to go down) and numerous rails and wall ride combos.

Next update will have photos hopefully (but we couldn’t get to the course today as the mountain was on wind hold).

Till tomorrow…

Videos from Stylewars 2009 can be viewed on the front page…

Stylewars Press Release: Wednesday 26th August

Size Does Matter: Stylewars goes big with Two Champions crowned Stair Masters in Rail Jam

Spectators were entertained earlier this evening with an array of performances from Stylewars riders throwing down their best performances in a stair rail set-up consisting of 28 steps, located outside the Frying Pan Restaurant and Bar.

One of the most exciting nights of the five-day-long snowboarding festival, this rail event in the heart of the Village Bowl at Falls Creek was cranking with a large crowd psyched to watch and dance to pumping tunes supplied on site by DJ Perplex.

The Stylewars rail event is an individually judged component of the competition, which offers a separate cash purse of $5000 for the Stair Master.

After a mind-blowing display of tricks including every single variation possible of a gap-to-270 down the kink rail, first place was just too difficult to score.

Former 2008 Stair Master Charles Reid and Sebastien Toutant (both from Quebec) were riding as though “they were battling for their lives” and in the end, it was both riders who claimed the title of Stylewars Stair Master, sharing the prize money between them.

Mel Simmons was the head judge and said, “This was probably the hardest judging I have ever done, ever.  And I have done a lot of contests.” 

Simmons has eight years experience in judging and has been traveling internationally judging on the TTR World Snowboard Tour for four years.

“I can quite easily say that it was some of the toughest head-to-head judging that I have ever had to session. 

“I would have preferred to nail it down to three hits (in a battle-style format) but unfortunately due to time constraints, it just wasn’t going to happen.

“The riding was just so outstanding it was ridiculous.  It was just too damn tight to call, Charles and Seb had absolutely everything on lock.  And at the end of the day, we just can’t let one of them walk away with the title. 

“It was a unanimous decision between the judges and event organisers, and we are happy with the outcome.”

In addition to top prize, $1500 was awarded to Best Trick, rightfully earned by Mark Sollars (CAN) with a flawless frontside 450 to boardslide gapped over the kink rail.

Sollars was ecstatic, “It’s so much fun.  It’s the most legit down rail in a contest I have ever ridden.  It’s so long so you have to lock on to your trick all the way down.”

Six riders out of thirty made it to the final, and the other three selected for the challenge were Eric Willett (USA) and Aussie boys Keiran McLaughlin and Tom Pelley who impressed the crowds up against International talent.

Riders were loving the size of the set up and the length of the rails were all the talk on the night.  Reid was all smiles, saying, “It’s great, it’s big!” 

Australian rider Darragh Walsh was amazed at the level of talent shown at the Stylewars Rail Jam.  He said: “Watching the Internationals ride was crazy.  It was a bit intimidating, but it was awesome because it pushed everyone to ride their hardest and do more tricks.”

Tomorrow’s forecast is looking optimistic so stay tuned for the latest updates on what goes down in competition at the Stylewars Ruined Castle Terrain Park.

Stylewars Press Release: Friday 28th August

‘Seb Toots’ Makes History: The Youngest Ever World No. 1

Sebastien Toutant from Quebec, Canada, has taken the world number one ranking in the prestigious TTR (Ticket To Ride) World Snowboard Tour, thanks to winning the title of 2009 Grandmaster at Stylewars, Falls Creek.

Toutant, 16, has made history as the youngest rider to ever rank number one and is also the youngest rider to ever win the notorious Stylewars snowboard competition, which has been running for seven years.

Toutant has now knocked Mason Aguirre (USA) off the TTR throne and is “super stoked” but will try his hardest to stay on top; “It feels really good to be the youngest ranking number one.  I’m leading in the TTR right now, but it’s not to say I will win the TTR.”

In competition, Toutant was in a league of his own, throwing down several Double Cork 10s, and even stomping a flawless Double Cork 12 - his first ever in competition.  In claiming the Stylewars Grandmaster title, Toutant takes home a cash prize of $7000.

But judging was not easy, with so much talent displayed from around the globe.  However, it was the young riders that really stole the show.

Charles Reid (CAN), 19, last year’s Grandmaster, worked hard to defend his title with an impressive performance including a Michael Chuck on the two-storey high wall ride (an invert incorporating a twist). 

In the end, however, Reid ranked third place overall for the Stylewars event.  But formerly ranked third in TTR World Snowboard Tour rankings, Reid has now moved up to world number two.

Second place at Stylewars was taken by Norwegian Mikkel Bang, also 19, who claimed the $1500 prize for Best Trick.  He stomped an incredible Switch-Back-12 over the 80-foot jump, blowing everyone away.  Bang keeps his position at number 27 in the TTR tour.

This was a stellar performance from Bang who has recently recovered from two surgeries due to torn ligaments in his foot.  He says, “The jump was so much fun, everyone was killing it, and I don’t know what to say.  I’m just stoked to win the Best Trick.  I was injured for a while and it was wicked to jump switch backside again.”

The 80-foot booter was the first feature in the specially made park for riders to hit.  With a steep landing riders were then able to choose from a selection of other jibs and smaller jumps including a unique pole jib, a down rail, a wall ride and a tyre bonk.

After four days of wind-hold which delayed the competition, head judge Mel Simmons commented, “I am so stoked that the weather pulled through for the boys and we were able to come up with a result.  They all rode so well, it was absolutely outstanding.”

Representing his home turf, Australian rider Chris DeCampo, 17, rode exceptionally with a mix of stylie 3s and 5s as well as shredding the rails.

Chris Kroell, who came ninth place, was one of three Austrian riders who made it to the event.  In his second appearance from his visit in 2006, he said that the jump was even better than the last time he was here.  And after four days of waiting for the weather to clear, he was thrilled: “This was definitely worth the wait.

“I think everyone is really happy now that we have finally run the contest.  I came here 5000 miles, and it would be a shame to have stayed inside the lodge the entire time.  This is what we are here for - for the riding, here for the tour, and to progress.  We are really happy.  Tonight we will drink!”

It was a long-time coming considering the contest had been on standby for the past several days.  Shining star Toutant said “It was fun, we had the best weather of the week and we finally got to hit the jump.  It was fun with a two-hour jam, where you can do your best runs at the end, so everyone rode really well.”

Eric Willett (USA), who came in fourth place overall, agreed: “Yeah it was so much fun.  With a jam you don’t have to worry about stomping everything every time, you know.  You can try something else and do anything you want.”  Willett has now moved up an extraordinary 14 places from 18th to fourth place in the TTR world rankings.

Event Director Richard Hegarty said, “I am so happy to be able to come up with a result.  The riders were having a great time, and considering the conditions we were dealt, the course was really fun.”

Event results:

1.  Sebastien Toutant (CAN)
2.  Mikkel Bang (NOR)
3.  Charles Reid (CAN)
4.  Eric Willett (USA)
5.  Sage Kotsenburg (USA)
6.  Matts Kulisek (CAN)
7.  Michael Stanschitz (AUT)
8.  Keiran McLaughlin (AUS)
9.  Chris Kroell (AUT)
10.  Chris DeCampo (AUS)

Awesome video highlights out the front by the way smile