The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

40 feet to cartwheel - Goal Posts at Waterfall - GoPro video

The line I took was between the two big clumps of trees AKA the ‘Goal Posts’. You can see my bomb hole just to the right and below the rock face. That’s me hiking out in the photo. It was the first time I went through the Goal Posts and definitely the biggest drop I’ve ever taken by at least 10 to 15 feet. I can’t wait to go back for round two, and hopefully land it this time.

Sweeet

You pick up speed dropping that far hey….

At least you hade some nice pow to land in, kinda looks like your weight shifted back half way through the drop and you landed a bit sideways-hard to go frame by frame on Vimeo. Next time you’ll land it I’m sure.

Go the Octorocker! How is it?

I absolutely love the Octorocker!  grin

Yeah I went through the video frame by frame (filmed at 60fps) and I know where I went wrong. It’s so hard to know what to expect when you’re up the top and can’t see anything over the edge of the cliff. I’ve never dropped from so high and the sensation was certainly foreign. I didn’t pull my legs up far enough right from the start, which is why I landed in the back seat. I’ll be ready for it next time.

haha the photo tops it off. would be sick to see some footage from the distance to

Michelle was meant to take a photo of me going off from the bottom, but I got to the cliff line before she was at the bottom. My adrenaline was pumping and I couldn’t be bothered waiting, so I just went for it. I’ll see what we can organise for next time. I might take the Sony HD and tripod.

rider26 - 20 February 2011 08:07 PM

Michelle was meant to take a photo of me going off from the bottom, but I got to the cliff line before she was at the bottom. My adrenaline was pumping and I couldn’t be bothered waiting, so I just went for it. I’ll see what we can organise for next time. I might take the Sony HD and tripod.

hows the feeling when you are standing waiting to drop it and looking out. it always feels like your jumping 200m out into nothing.
I hit a fairly big drop the other day, probably not quiet as big as that though, plus i had the advantage of blue sky which makes it much easier. i only wish i had more time riding so i could wait for another good snow day and hit the one double the size next to it. I chickened out the other day unfortunately!

Just watched some helmet cam footage from a mate in whistler the last few weeks, cant believe how much snow you guys got. BASTARDS

First time I watched it I thought you should have grabbed but when I paused and paused and paused I could see how your front hand held your weight and position as much as possible. It could have been much messier if you started winding windows or freaked and relaxed - probably would have landed on your back!

Your launch got ya; as soon as you could see over the edge that rush of adrenaline kicked in. I think you didn’t expect to be rolling off the edge and your board dropped away from your body before you left the snow (blue lines), unlike hitting a booter when your legs do the reverse. The zigzags I think is what you really didn’t expect to still be in contact with.

In hindsight are you thinking you should have stayed a bit more to the left and aimed off the left of the bent over pine that’s pointing out? It may have given you a little kick.
Photobucket
You held it. Kudos

I do feel pretty spoilt right now, CRACKERS.  grin

Thanks for the analysis, spaz. I appreciate the good honest feedback.  cool smile

CRACKERS - 20 February 2011 08:51 PM

hows the feeling when you are standing waiting to drop it and looking out. it always feels like your jumping 200m out into nothing.

Yeah I know. Everything looks so different and big when you’re standing on top. It definitely gets the adrenaline pumping. If you stand there too long your mind starts playing tricks on you. I try not to think and just go.

and if worst came to worse you wouldve got caught up in the little pine and given us one hell of a good stack clip!

Im pretty sure that drop is way bigger then it looks to any of us on here to. big time kudos.

haha pretty sick, rider! Def would like to see a shot from the bottom next time but I totally agree about the mind playing tricks. Longer you stand up there, the more likely you are to chicken out. “Insert Nike slogan”
Not that I’ve done anything remotely like this drop!
Good luck with your next shot at it !

That’s sick Jeremy!!! Kudos for giving it a go. Looks massive!

Next time you want to hit it, let me know and I’ll film from the bottom.

HeadCam vidz of drops like that never look as big as they are.

rider26 - 20 February 2011 09:39 PM

I try not to think and just go.

I hear that rider, I hate to even spot check a drop before doing it. It adds to the fear junkie in me too.

The way I do it is; send your photographer to do the spot check and show you the safe line in, wait until they give you the go ahead and just hit it. Your photographer should know your ability and be willing to let you go off stuff bigger than you normally would as well wink

And if it avalanches behind you keep the video on and pointed at it….

HAHAHA

That was an awesome story… Did you ever get back to it?

Looking over the edge of a drop… it’s all blind, crazy scary.

I think the biggest factor in avoiding injury with that is the amount of snow.
Softer landings provide a boost in confidence.

I dont think I would have dropped that at all.
Perhaps one a bit smaller.

It puts a smile on my face everytime i look at the clip and photos!  It’s crazy, when you’re up there you are so scared (well i am…) and once you’ve landed (or crashed (65% of the time)) all you want to do is be able to teleport back up there and do it again but bigger! 

It’s similar to hitting built jumps into pow, going from being scared to wanting to do it again.  The challenge being to get up there and dropping before your mind changes back.  Sick Jeremy, can’t wait to see round two!