The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What snowboard should I buy?

Heya there Ladies and Gents!

I am facing the hardest decision of my life at the moment - to which board should I be purchasing for this/next years season in Hakuba, Japan.

I am doing a working season and will be looking for an All Mountain board that will be able to do everything from Park to Pow. I am also looking at potentially going to Queenstown after Japan so I don’t really want to invest in a powder based board.

Any information on what sort of board I should be looking for would be great and heavily appreciated!

Side note:  I have been told from a friend that a 5 flex rating would be alright…???? Thoughts on that?

Once again, I would love any help whatsoever.

Cheers!

Check out the Jones Mountain Twin, can’t go wrong there - will serve you well in wherever you want to ride

If you’re working in Japan for a season you’d be crazy to not get a powder dominant board. Japan is all about the Japow, there are parks but they are nothing on the scale of features you’d find in say, Whistler. Plus it snows most days in Japan so the parks are generally not groomed. Ride Warpig would be a good all-rounder (won Goodwood awards for both all mountain and park categories). Also look into a Salomon First Call, pretty playful powder board with a camber profile so its good for park/carving. Salomon Sickstick is another good one, but stiffer than the First Call. I wouldn’t go softer than a 5, won’t be that fun in the powder.

I would look at something like the Jones Explorer. Versatile for mountain/park but it also rips in pow!