The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Oz and Japan/NZ - Intermediate board selection help

Hey guys,

I’m thinking of picking a new board, something that is suitable for Australia but also works for Japan Japan / new zealand trips

I’m about 183cm / 6 foot and weigh between 83Kg to 88kg / 180-195 pounds, with a US size 11 boot.
I’ll try and sum up some major points:

- Ability: I’d probably rate myself as a intermediate, maybe a 5-6 on a scale out of 10. I’m comfortable on most blues, most blacks still scare me but and I usually won’t go anywhere near a double black.

- Style: don’t have any, lol just like to cursing though Blue and eventually black run, sometime will adventure through trees, but haven’t done any back country. Not huge into switch or jump but that’s mostly because I’m bad at it more than not enjoying it, I wouldn’t mind getting better but I wouldn’t say it’s a major priority. Not really into jibbing or pipe at all.

- Location: I’m in Sydney and spend most of my time in Thredbo or perisha, go to Melbourne’s hothem/ falls creek from time to time, aiming to go to New Zealand/ Queenstown and Japan/ Rusutsu once every two year

- Gear history: used to be a skier but converted into a snowboarder around 2008. My current setup is a roughly 10 year old 157cm burton Baron, (I quite enjoy it and have no problem with it, just thought with all the new tech and board been old, it is time to change, maybe the new board can be a bit more soft and more playful)
Shoes- Burton Ruler ( cant remember the version- prob 2008)
Binding- Burton cartel ( cant remember the version- prob 2008)
And looking to upgrade these into the burton step on once they become available again

My goal for the next season or two is to get myself up from that 4 to about a 7 out of 10, I’m looking for a one-board solution that’s going to help me with that progression.
I would like to have this new board as my based board which I can do most of my trip in NZ/ AU and JP, and in the future, slow expand the quiver to have more specialized board
Would like to have a board that have a stable on the snow feel, good turn initiation, good edge hold for both AU condition and JP condition- and maybe a medium flex

I’ve been doing a bunch of research and kind of been looking at the following option

Jones ultra mountain twin
Jones explorer
Yes- PYL
YES Standard

It will be awesome if you could let me know what size best fitted me- as I am not sure wether to go for a wide or …

I’ve learnt a lot from reading on this forums, so I will appreciate any input. Thanks guys.

Welcome to the community, @Frank712! ?

You’ve got some nice boards on your list there. I’m sure we can help you narrow it down.

Haha, I remember the Burton Baron… super wide if I remember correctly?

You don’t need a wide board with size 11 boots. What’s more important is that we look at the specific waist width of each board. The Standard, for example, doesn’t come in “wide” but the waist widths are actually quite wide for a non-wide board, totally suitable for your size 11 boots. So, we’ll look at each model and size independently to make sure it’s suitable for your boots. Don’t get too hung up on the wide terminology. To be honest, it’s a bit all over the place.

From what you’ve told me in your original post and the boards on your list, I’d probably suggest you scratch off the Ultra Mountain Twin and YES. PYL. Both these boards are amazing, but they’re expensive, super high-end, and geared for high performance riding and charging. They are fairly stiff, which you’ve already stated isn’t what you want. I think you can spend a bit less and get exactly what you’re looking for. You could certainly consider the regular Mountain Twin, which is still a fantastic board but not as stiff and agressive as the Ultra Mountain Twin.

That leaves us with the Jones Explorer and the YES Standard on your list. I can’t say enough good things about either board. The Jones Explorer is one of the best value boards on the market in my opinion. It’s super versatile and a lot of fun to ride. Aesthetically beautiful as well.

The YES Standard is just about my favourite board on the market. I want this board. If I had to choose one board to ride all season, this is my pick. The core is amazing (and a lot of fun to ride); for the 2019 model (delivering next month) they upgraded the core to have even more paulownia wood for the same price (making it lighter). The directional volume twin shape is brilliantly designed, giving you increased float in powder. CamRock profile is high-performance, versatile, and fun to ride. Graphics look amazing. Lifetime warranty. And the waist width is going to be spot-on.

To summarise, I would go for the Standard or the Explorer. Let me know which one you’re more hyped on and we can discuss size options.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to lock in a 2019 board on pre-order.