The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Jan 2018 trip - anyone done Whitewater or Red?

Back in the grind after a good Jan/Feb spanning Whistler & Hakuba and I’m already looking into options for next year.

Looking for something a little less busy, both Whitewater & Red Mountain are looking interesting and both are within a short drive of Castlegar airport making it an attractive option - supposedly the powder triangle of BC.  Red comes highly recommended by a colleague who has been a few times.  A key drawcard for me is the lack of crowds and laid back vibe.  Also the close proximity to some great heli terrain.

Has anybody been to either of these hills?

I just got back from a trip to Red. I loved it. If you’re after crowd free runs and no lift lines then it’s definitely the place to go. The terrain and snow is awesome too. Plenty of variety. We stayed in Rossland and so just a 5 minute drive to Red each day. There is accomodation on the mountain but we stayed in an awesome airbnb. The town is pretty quiet. Not the place if you’re up for a party each night. There is a cool pub and a couple nice places to go though. Best apres is at Rafters bar on the mountain.

I did a day cat skiing with big red cats. It was epic. Face shots all day. Shitloads cheaper than heliskiing too. They’re based at red and do single day trips so you can mix up a few days there with days at Red. Would definitely go back there.

While we were there we did a day trip to whitewater. Looking at the trail map I didnt really expect much, 2 double chairs and a triple. But the place blew me away. The amount of terrain you can access off those lifts is impressive. Then heaps more again if you’re up for a hike or tour.

So I’d definitely go back. I’d probably stay a couple days in Nelson riding at whitewater and then the majority of the time at Red/BRC.

Sounds like a great trip! We are thinking of splitting time 50/50 between Nelson/Whitewater and Rossland/Red, probably 5-6 days each. Cat sounds awesome, will definitely be looking into that.

Did you fly in or drive from Van?

mate of mine did both years ago, but I remember him raving about them especially
whitewater.
we did castle mountain as part of a month long road trip in 2000. we were there in school hols.
there were 3 buses and maybe 50 cars. hadn’t snowed in a week but strong winds over the back
filled in the top and we had freshies in the mornings. about 750 vert. 2 lifts to the top. it was a highlight.
and talking to Canadians on our trip, most didn’t even know of castle!
also Kimberley was good as well and quiet, but some serious violent rednecks in those parts!
we also did fernie, lake louise, sunshine, panorama and nakiska.

Hughman666 - 18 March 2017 10:58 AM

Sounds like a great trip! We are thinking of splitting time 50/50 between Nelson/Whitewater and Rossland/Red, probably 5-6 days each. Cat sounds awesome, will definitely be looking into that.

Did you fly in or drive from Van?

What Josh said was pretty much my experience visiting these 2 during the season. Would definitely recommend having a car for Whitewater though. Honestly if you’re going back-country with avi gear then Whitewater is sick. If you’re planning on staying in the resort, then maybe do 2-3 days at Whitewater and spend the rest of your trip at Red or drive down to Fernie, up to Kicking Horse or up to Revelstoke to mix it up a bit.