The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

elan waverider?

going japan for the pow. and looking at a new board, currently have a yes basic that will probably do me another season or two as I get better at park.

was looking for something cheap to add quiver, otherwise probably stick with YES and look at the new optimistic. the elan waverider 164 is currently on special for $270 at melb snowboard.

but i dont wanna just spend money on a board ill use a handful of times. has anyone ever rode one? whats its like on aussie mountains on ice??

thanks

Welcome to Boardworld, @fremeer!

Sorry, I’m really not familiar with that board. I haven’t seen many Elan boards in Australia, to be honest. Elan closed their factory in 2013, so I have no idea how old this board is either.

What are you looking to get out of this second board exactly?

hey thanks for the reply.

basically looking for something a bit more comfortable on pow. i do think the basic with a bit of an offset could handle it ok but potentially looking at something a bit more stable.

the waverider is actually brand new but im guessing old stock. the marketting speak said it could handle itself on piste so just wanted to see if that was true.

was also looking at the jones mountain twin since its a nice do everything board. the explorer might actually be pretty good too, great price point. im intermediate i would say and i think the basic is playful enough for most of my switch riding and i really like going fast down the mountain and ripping turns.

No worries, @fremeer! ?

I think you’d be really stoked with the Explorer. It’s a very versatile snowboard; rides pow super well but rides equally well all over the mountain (groomers, switch, park etc.). It’s one of those board you can’t go wrong with, and it’s at an affordable price point as you mentioned (you get a lot of bang for your buck with this board). It will compliment the Basic quite nicely.

How much do you weigh and what size boots do you wear?

I’m 187cm. Around the 85kg and have size 10 boots. The basic I ride is a 159w and doing the bare foot onto board test it’s about right. I was looking at the 162cm most likely I think. Probably wait till 60 days before I leave to do the trs thing for customs

@fremeer, check your PM. ?