The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

RESERO: The Next Level in Avalanche Safety

RESERO: THE NEXT LEVEL IN AVALANCHE SAFETY

RESERO is an entirely new safety device that enables skiers and snowboarders to detach their equipment in the case of an avalanche at the same moment releasing an automatic emergency signal with the rider’s coordinates to the local ski patrol, significantly helping to improve avalanche safety and save lives.

Skis or a snowboard can add up to 3 tons of downward force in an avalanche, pulling the rider under the snow’s surface and applying a huge amount of pressure to their limbs.  This can result in suffocation from the snow, crushing and/or serious leg injuries.

RESERO allows the rider to significantly reduce their weight, improving the efficiency of their airbag and likelihood of staying afloat in the case of an avalanche, seriously improving their chances of survival and/or grave injury.

RESERO is compatible with all existing airbag systems or may be used solely as an emergency signal system, suitable for use across all mountain sports.

Developed by Avalanche Float Solutions from Munich; founded by 3x Freeride World Tour Champion Xavier De Le Rue, Dmitry Gavva and Dmitry Romashev, their goal is to eliminate as many risks as possible from the mountains and save lives.

“I have had my life saved by avalanche safety technology (the ABS bag) and so I know the importance of having the tools to survive, I want to minimise every possible risk and give myself, and others, every opportunity to stay alive in the mountains.”  Xavier De Le Rue.

RESERO is currently launching production in Bavaria and taking pre-orders for shipment at the end of 2016.

This is really impressive and makes a lot of sense to me. I’m sure it could also have applications for tree wells.

Anything that furthers R&D for Avalanche equipment is awesome in my books.

I can’t really comment on its operation until u see it in action though I get the idea of what it does.

The signal to ski patrol isnt going to help you in an Avalanche. The only people that will save you are the people you’re touring with. Beacon, probe, shovel and people that know how to use them are your only friends out there.

I did see some Splitboard bindings are coming out with tear away cords connected to both ratchets so you can release in one motion. Honestly I think that is more likely to take off. Simple and effective. I would love to see how these work though.

Is there a video yet Rider?

@Andy Aitken, isn’t the video up for you? It’s embedded at the bottom of the article.

Anyway, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPiWjTLUcM

I couldn’t see the vid on my phone for what ever reason.
But I can see it fine on my computer now.

And, hell yeah, that’s actually awesome! Way better than I thought it was going to be.
I had visions of the whole bindings detaching which would make them feel terrible to ride. But the straps detaching at a hinge is really cool.

I love that it’s one cord to pull to trigger your airbag and detach the board.

I have spent so much money on touring gear this year I can’t buy anything else. But one day if I get an airbag, I might just get one of these as well.

Once again, Xavier is the man.

A couple of questions about the product I would need answered before considering purchase:
#1 They refer to them as “binding breakers”, can they be re-attached after being “broken” or are the actually broken and not re-attachable on site?
#2 Is there a beacon that goes on the board that can be remotely activated by a separate controller held by the user, so as to; 1 not interfere with any search for persons in the case that someone is buried and 2, once all persons are accounted for allow for easy location of equipment?