The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

WSL Fantasy Surfing

With the 2015 WSL about to kick off in 10 days its time to sort out your fantasy surfing team for the 1st event!

If you’re unsure what fantasy surfing is, read below…

http://fantasy.aspworldtour.com/

Pick a team using your knowledge of the surfer’s individual tendencies. And remember to take into account the unique aspects of each Tour destination to build the strongest possible teams.

Need help? Check out detailed stats like average heat score or years of experience help you decide. You can even see what surfers are trending with other fantasy team managers. Don’t forget to watch the CT events live and cheer them on!

SELECTING ATHLETES

Your WSL Fantasy Surfing team is divided into three separate tiers: A, B and C. You are required to populate each of these groups with a designated number of athletes. For the men, the number of required athletes in each tier is as follows: Tier A = 2, Tier B = 4, Tier C = 2. For the women, the number of required athletes in each group is as follows: Tier A = 1, Tier B = 2, Tier C = 1.

Every athlete is NOT able to be placed in any of those three groups. An athlete’s current CT rank dictates which group he or she is placed. As an example, Gabriel Medina, who starts the 2015 CT season ranked No. 1, can only be placed in Tier A of the men’s fantasy game. Similarly, women’s No. 9 Courtney Conlogue can only be placed in Tier B of the women’s fantasy team until she improves her rank.

As such, you will need to monitor your teams throughout the season and be prepared to make changes before each event because some athletes will see their CT rank go up or down which can potentially change their Fantasy grouping.

SCORING DETAILS

Your teams’ fantasy score is tied directly to the performance of the WSL surfers you select. For example, if an athlete scores 17.37 in a heat, you earn 17.37 fantasy points. The same is true for all the other athletes in your fantasy lineup.

Therefore, your goal should be to select the athletes that you believe:
1. Will advance through the maximum number of heats possible
2. Score the maximum possible points in each of those heats

To further illustrate, a theoretical perfect fantasy score through Round 1 would be 160 points (8 athletes x 20.00 heat points = 160 fantasy points).

At this point you may be asking “What happens when an athlete wins a non-elimination heat and gets to skip a round? Do I get zero points?” No, you are not penalized for your athlete’s good performance! Your surfer is awarded a perfect heat score of 20 points for the round skipped.

If anyone else is playing lemme know and we’ll see who has the right picks!

Stay tuned for a Snapper Rocks event write up in the coming days. Yeeeww!!!! shaka

Signing up now. We going to get a Boardworld league happening?

OK, I created the group “BOARDWORLD”

Password is: shaka

Boom!!! On it!! shaka

rider26 - 19 February 2015 08:11 AM

OK, I created the group “BOARDWORLD”

Password is: shaka

whats the email to log in with Jeremy?? wink

Huh?

hahaha NM!! Just being a N00B!!! wink

Righto im in!

Former CT guru Ross Williams takes you through his “Start em, Sit em” picks for Bells.

If you haven’t already joined Fantasy Surfing its not too late!!

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/105411/fantasy-start-sit-bells-beach

Former CT guru Ross Williams takes you through his “Start em, Sit em” picks for Bells.

If you haven’t already joined Fantasy Surfing its not too late!!

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/105411/fantasy-start-sit-bells-beach

Can’t seem to get your team pick’s right?? Check out this little helper website. Surf stats. Crunching all the numbers!

http://surf-stats.com

How’s everyone’s teams going?? Scores? Ranks?

Bumping this thread!!

Get your 2016 picks in quick folks and remember to join the boardworld fantasy group through the WSL fantasy surfer.

Group name: Boardworld
Password: Boardworld

Maybe @rider26  can throw a prize pack for the winner if we get enough people! wink

With my limited knowledge of comp surfing, well surfing in general, I am giving this a red hot shot. shaka

How’d everyone fair for their first event?? Me? I’ve had better days, but im still beating Jeremy (just) haha.

I had a top score of 451. My biggest let downs were Julian Jordy and Jack Freestone. Maybe the cracked under the hype? Who knows.

On to Bells we go! Hopefully ill have a better event. If you get stuck with the picks, the guys over at surf-stats do a great job in crunching numbers. @Azz  this might help you out a bit!

If you haven’t already done so, join the boardworld group! Passcode is boardworld.

Good luck to all for next event!

surferguy56 - 16 March 2016 04:43 PM

I’ve had better days, but im still beating Jeremy (just) haha.

SHUTTUP WHEELS! LOL

Oh man, I put Wilko in my team and took him out for some reason.

Yep, not the best start. Riely smashed it.