The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

Steezus - 08 March 2016 10:43 AM

Hey crew,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m planning on doing a season at Sunshine Village, Banff in 2016/17, I’m currently in the middle of organising my visa and was looking for a bit of advice.
Firstly, I’m having issues getting some of the employment documents ready as most of my work has been cash (labouring). Is it best to just leave these off my resume and visa application entirely? Anyone else have experience with this?
Secondly, when I checked my eligibility, it didn’t say that I need a police check but I’ve read elsewhere that I might?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @Steezus

What Rider said (See last page)

I also needed a police check in stage 2 but I think things have changed for this year, check laurenchowz post earlier this thread for a link to the new process.

Honestly, it’s seasonal work. We have people this season that you could trade for a half eaten burrito and you’d have a better employee. That being said, you need to have some experience and a decent resume. Don’t go sending off a resume in comic sans and make sure you have some experience. Tradie experience is great for getting in as a lifty as they know you aren’t afraid of hard work.

Now I’m not sure if you want to be a lifty or something else but honestly the lifties at Sunshine looked bored as shit. All the lifts are detaches so there is nothing to do but occasionally rake. Just keep this in mind and maybe check out some of the other awesome resorts in the Rockies. I’m loving being a lifty here in Fernie. Also, Banff is like Whistler in that you need to have some money behind you to afford it all (or get really lucky) and you have to like partying… cause there won’t be too many nights off.

Another thing about Sunshine is that it’s a good 15 + minute drive out of town so you’ll need to factor that into your commute everyday. Lake Louise is further if you plan to ride there on your days off (since it’s a better mountain)

Let us know if you have more questions about the hill / town / jobs.

rider26 - 08 March 2016 02:18 PM

Hey crew,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m planning on doing a season at Sunshine Village, Banff in 2016/17, I’m currently in the middle of organising my visa and was looking for a bit of advice.
Firstly, I’m having issues getting some of the employment documents ready as most of my work has been cash (labouring). Is it best to just leave these off my resume and visa application entirely? Anyone else have experience with this?
Secondly, when I checked my eligibility, it didn’t say that I need a police check but I’ve read elsewhere that I might?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @Steezus,

That’s an interesting one. I think it’s important to keep your application legit, but you need to use your own judgement here. I highly doubt they will look into it in a way that would expose that you were paid cash, and I think it’s important to show you’ve been working (I would guess). Use your best judgement here.

You usually need to provide a police check at some stage during the application—I know I did. I’m not sure why it said you didn’t need one. I am guessing you probably will at some point during the application (maybe after stage 1 has been submitted). That said, I probably wouldn’t do it unless it told me I needed to.

Good luck with the application and let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks for the fast reply dude!
In that case I might hold off on getting the police check until I need it, just on the chance I won’t need it.
Hopefully a lack of work experience won’t hold me back too much, I’ll have a degree in outdoor education by the end of the year too and I heard they love that!
I’ll be sure to hit you up for any more info, cheers!

TJswish - 08 March 2016 02:49 PM

Hey crew,

Thanks in advance!

Hey @Steezus

What Rider said (See last page)

I also needed a police check in stage 2 but I think things have changed for this year, check laurenchowz post earlier this thread for a link to the new process.

Honestly, it’s seasonal work. We have people this season that you could trade for a half eaten burrito and you’d have a better employee. That being said, you need to have some experience and a decent resume. Don’t go sending off a resume in comic sans and make sure you have some experience. Tradie experience is great for getting in as a lifty as they know you aren’t afraid of hard work.

Now I’m not sure if you want to be a lifty or something else but honestly the lifties at Sunshine looked bored as shit. All the lifts are detaches so there is nothing to do but occasionally rake. Just keep this in mind and maybe check out some of the other awesome resorts in the Rockies. I’m loving being a lifty here in Fernie. Also, Banff is like Whistler in that you need to have some money behind you to afford it all (or get really lucky) and you have to like partying… cause there won’t be too many nights off.

Another thing about Sunshine is that it’s a good 15 + minute drive out of town so you’ll need to factor that into your commute everyday. Lake Louise is further if you plan to ride there on your days off (since it’s a better mountain)

Let us know if you have more questions about the hill / town / jobs.

Thanks for the advice man, only reason I’m set on Banff is I’m travelling with a mate who’s going through an agency. I’m happy to work pretty much any job (as you said, labouring isn’t glorious haha). I’ve got mates who worked at the Mad Trapper’s Saloon on the hill and loved it cos they had so much riding time. Hopefully my contacts will get me a gig there but changing seasons means changing managers. I’ll be sure to post up any other questions as they come to mind.
Thanks for such a useful thread!

If you can get a bar job, take it. More time to shred and tips will mean you pretty much can’t have a bad season no matter where you are!

Hey all,
Bit of an update; I’ve sent off my visa application so expecting to have that approved in the next couple of months (hopefully sooner). Starting to have a good look into travel insurance now, which I didn’t anticipate to be so damn expensive! For those who have done a snow season in Canada, which company did you go with and how much did it cost?
So far I’ve looked at Down Under and World Nomads. I’ll probably want to return for the 2017/18 season but I don’t really wanna fork out over $2K for a two year policy - what are the chances they’ll limit my visa to my insurance policy duration?
Thanks

Steezus - 19 April 2016 10:52 AM

Hey all,
Bit of an update; I’ve sent off my visa application so expecting to have that approved in the next couple of months (hopefully sooner). Starting to have a good look into travel insurance now, which I didn’t anticipate to be so damn expensive! For those who have done a snow season in Canada, which company did you go with and how much did it cost?
So far I’ve looked at Down Under and World Nomads. I’ll probably want to return for the 2017/18 season but I don’t really wanna fork out over $2K for a two year policy - what are the chances they’ll limit my visa to my insurance policy duration?
Thanks

Hey @Steezus,

I’ve used World Nomads a few times before. I didn’t really have any problems with them, although living in Whistler I have heard that World Nomads have a bad reputation these days, and the emergency center here doesn’t accept World Nomad policies.

I shopped around quite extensively this time, as I wanted a good policy for snowboarding and with good medical/physio coverage. I went with http://www.goinsurance.com.au/ and paid extra for the snowboarding part. Definitely shop around and read the policies and see what’s best for you.

As far as I’m aware, I have never heard of anyone’s visa being shortened because of a shorter travel insurance policy. To be honest, in all my times coming into Canada and getting visas, I have never even had anyone ask to see it. They are usually pretty good about it. I think to cover yourself, I would want to show at least 6-12 months of policy just in case, and have extra funds in your bank account to show you’re able to extend the policy etc. Just be smart about it. If they ask to see any of this stuff, they basically are just trying to make sure you can financially look after yourself and you’re not going to be a liability to Canada.

Thanks @rider26, solid advice. I’m thinking of just getting 1 year or so, and hoping that they don’t ask. I should have plenty of funds by then though so even then it sounds like it might not be an issue.
I’ll check out that insurance company and keep looking, although usually you get what you pay for with travel insurance!

I went with iTrek. They were cheapish and had good cover at around 750 for 6 months.

Good to know @TJswish. Did the border officer issue you a full 2 year visa? I’ve applied for an IEC work permit by the way.

Yeah mate, they barely even talk to you and just do it if you fly in. Though my flight ended in Vancouver and the Calgary officers might be different (doubt it though)

I got 2 years and will be coming back to fernie for next season smile

Oh and if you guys want to come visit fernie, hit me up and ill get you some $30 day passes so you can see what a real mountain is like raspberry

rider26 - 21 August 2015 08:08 PM

1. When do you need to get to Whistler in order to get accommodation? I’ll get there before the job fair of course, but just wondering how early I need to be there to not end up homeless or in a closet for $1600 a month. When do most people rock up?

—You want to be there in October for sure, earlier if possible. Most leases will start on November 1st or earlier. It more comes down to how organised you are and how hard you hustle. Make sure you hav a phone and call and see as many available places as possible as soon as they are advertised.

2. Likewise, when do most seasonaires leave whistler?

—Typically, end of April (for work), but you can always stay on. The season can go well into May.

3. I’ve read that mobiles have an area code similar to landlines in Aus? Does that mean I need to get one in Whistler, or can you get one in Vancouver and ask for a Whistler number?

—You want a 604 number. Yes, just tell them you want a Whistler number.

4. Can you open a bank account while in Whistler, or does this need to be done in Vancouver?

—You can do it in Whistler. My recommendations would be RBC or TD Canada Trust (both have branches in the Village).

5. Do I need to book hostels in Vancouver/Whistler in advance, or can I just wing it and book when I get there? Same with a bus from Van to Whistler? Do these things get booked out around this time or is it generally alright?

—Unsure but you’re safer booking ahead.

6. Does 1 day seem reasonable to get SIN, bank accounts etc set up in Vancouver?

—Yes. The main priority is your SIN as you can get a bank account in Whistler if necessary. Make sure you have all the required documentation in order.

7. As for Whistler season passes, assuming you won’t be given one, when’s the best time to buy or when does early bird end? And say you do this and then it turns out you end up working for the mountain or can get a spirit pass, can the one you bought be refunded?

—The sooner the better. I’m not sure if early bird is still available, check on the website. Yes, they usually have something in place for this where you can get a refund or partial refund if you end up working for the mountain.

Hopefully none of these questions are too stupid cheese

—Never. wink

HAHA this post just answered so many questions i had about whistler,  cheers Jez!! yewww

Also are you doing whistler for the 16/17 winter?

YES! Are you, @OptimusGrime? Would be so awesome having you guys there! punch beers

Yeah pretty sure i am @rider26. Gunna look at buyibg my pass in the next few days so its locked in haha. Pretty keen!

That would be sick, @OptimusGrime. Keep me posted. Then maybe next time @Warren Chapstick and @Rosina can come visit you guys in Whistler. Actually, Rosi you can leave Brad at home this time. wink

Hey guys, I’ve always dreamed of working at whistler and only just started looking around for info. I’d been thinking of going with the WHC but saw this thread with all this amazing info. So just had a few questions…

1. Is it to late to start looking for jobs working with WB and have there job fairs finished for this coming winter?

2. Is it possible to work a couple of months then head home, I’m just concerned about my job at home?

3. How much savings would guys recommend having before heading over?