The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Seattle mountains - anybody?

I’ve been called into work in our Seattle office at the end of our Whistler trip, from Feb 2-3.  While this sucks a tad, it does give us a couple of days to chill in Seattle before our flights home via Vancouver on the 5th.

Has anybody visited any of the local Seattle mountains?  I’m keen to smash a couple of day trips.

From reading up there are a few options within the ~50-100 mile radius:

Crystal Mountain
Mt Baker
Stevens Pass
Summit at Snoqualmie

These seem the main ones and conditions look to be pretty decent.

Interested to hear any feedback.

Cheers

Hey Hughman,

I get down to Baker a bit, but as much as I want to I’ve never hit any of the other mountains further south. I’d advise you to only bother with Mt Baker when there’s fresh stuff falling. It’s not a huge mountain and can get old real quick if you’re just on hardpack. The first time I ever went into the lodge though, they had Stone Arrogant Bastard on tap!
Also, keep an eagle eye on your gear there, or anywhere else where there are racks right beside the carpark. A mate had his 1 day old T.Rice w/Rome Katanas swiped in December. I had an Ultrafear w/ Holograms pinched on the 2nd ( Though mine was a local Vancouver mountain - but still right next to the carpark).
Stevens Pass has been on my list of places to check out for some time. But I think it & Snoqualmie get busy purely because of their proximity to Seattle. But if you’re there midweek you could have some quieter laps.
There’s also Hurricane Ridge…

I would love to check out Mt Baker or Stevens Pass. If you’ve got the chance to do it, go for it!

Yeah Snoqualmie or Stevens Pass will be my choice based on talking to a few local colleagues from Seattle.  I guess it just depends on which one has the better conditions on the day.

And yes, good idea about keeping an eye on the boards, I didn’t realize it would be that bad.  Board locks should be enough of a deterrent, hopefully!

Ok been chatting with a mate who works in the area and we will most likely hit up Crystal Mountain and Stevens Pass based on the current and forecasted conditions.

So that’s gonna make the next 4 weeks: 7 mountains in 3 countries (including the Japan trip literally the day I land back from Canada/US).  I’m pretty stoked, I’m going to keep a vid blog of it while I’m away as there should be a lot of entertainment both on and off the mountain(s)  flushed

I have been to Stevens and Baker many moons ago.

Baker was early season, not ideal conditions, still had a blast.

Stevens Pass I had an epic day, it was puking all day, I didn’t even notice when it turned from night to day as the lights were on all day. They shut the lifts at 10pm, no Aussie resorts had night riding back then (mid 90’s) so I was blown away. One of the best days riding I have had.