The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skier Gus Kenworthy Comes Out

Tambo - 03 November 2015 09:03 PM

what is, is. so don’t make it an issue. if you are after media coverage, so something that is news worthy. And if you’re a journo, time to not make a deal of it. Then we might have equality for all, no matter what preference, race or creed you are. Time to make it real.

This is interesting point.

However I am not sure the person coming out feels the same way.

I think sometimes - they have built it up so much in their heads that they think it needs to be a big deal.

I am probably not articulating this well… i never do.

I can’t wait for it to be a non issue but i think both the person coming out and us the public have a long way to come.

mmm. Interesting point. Cant decide yet whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing, or a “everyone is different” thing. Hmmm

Tambo - 04 November 2015 09:46 PM

mmm. Interesting point. Cant decide yet whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing, or a “everyone is different” thing. Hmmm

A fact that doesn’t need to be taught in schools, and in the day to day media!!!!!

Tambo - 04 November 2015 09:46 PM

Exactly how I feel!

And remember these athlete and stars feel pressure from their ‘community’ to be the poster child and if they did it with a whimper… they would be accused of being ashamed.

I for one look forward to the day that people can just walk the red carpet or show up to an event with a same sex ‘companion’ and it not matter.

But if anyone did it in the current world their would be all sorts of speculation… is he isn’t he….

And then if they show up the next month with someone of the opposite sex…. well geez louise!!

But also remember its not just about your sexuality. ‘Official announcements ’ about relationship are also made to put the official announcement out there,

And hell a sponsor could not be happy with your partner of choice (gay straight or otherwise…) and then your income stream is at risk potentially impacting you doing the sport you love.

Its complicated and i am sure they feel even more pressure!

Celebrity eh - who’d have it!

ozgirl - 05 November 2015 09:15 AM

That part is definitely their choice!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 05 November 2015 09:35 AM
ozgirl - 05 November 2015 09:15 AM

That part is definitely their choice!!!!!

Well for Athletes (especially snowsports)  they need to earn an income to be able to afford to travel/compete. and their reputation helps with sponosrship!

Better the devil you know!

See I still reckon it’s a media ploy, press release thing. If the media didn’t make it a “thing” then it wouldn’t be a thing. Then there’s thorpie asking where the real people are. Did he really say that? Or just a comment that since he came out, he’s finding it hard to find a relationship?
We all know, don’t we, that’s finding a relationship is fraught with difficulty. There’s already so much pressure to be ” fabulous”
So let’s just
1 be a good kind person
2 be who you are
3 take care of others
4 have good manners

Imagine if we all did that!
(NB Boardworld does pretty well I reckon)