The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Working at the Banff Resorts

So I’ve decided I better do a season in Canada sooner rather than later, otherwise I’ll end up back in a ‘real world’ job and it’ll never happen. Planning for 16/17 now, and with the support of the gf/future wife it looks like this can actually happen. I’ve done two seasons now working in New Zealand, first season as a lifty and this season in Rentals, which I preferred. I’ll be doing another NZ season in ‘16 before heading to Canada, this time around I’ll be managing our rentals.

I’ve had friends that have worked in Banff, and after doing some research into other areas and fields I think this area is my best shot. I need somewhere with a long season (so I can still convince myself I’m financially responsible… LOL) and Whistler just doesn’t sound like me. So I’m wondering if anyone here has worked either in Banff itself, or on the resorts nearby? Lake Louise, Sunshine, and Norquay. Intially Lake Louise was my top pick, but I’ve just found out that Sunshine also have a Volunteer Fire Crew, I’ve been volunteering here in NZ for 2 years and could see myself doing it permanently full time once I settle down, so more experience for that is a big draw card as well.

Anyway, I’d love to hear of anybodies experience living and working in the area, or even just travelling there to enjoy the riding and outdoors!  shaka

Really, no one here’s worked around Banff? What about just hitting the resorts?

Can’t say I’ve ever been (but I definitely want to visit). flushed

I’ll ask around for you. Stay tuned.

Phedder - 04 October 2015 06:09 PM

Really, no one here’s worked around Banff? What about just hitting the resorts?

I haven’t lived/ worked in Banff yet, (I will be this coming season) but I did stay there for about a month over the 2012/13 season and I loved it.

Sunshine Village was definitely my favourite out of the 3 Banff resorts. Such a fun mountain no matter what the conditions are. (unless it’s negative 30 and the chairs are blowing sideways)

From memory Sunshine is roughly 20-25 minutes from Banff, Norquay is about 15 minutes and Lake Louise is around 45 minutes away.

You’ll have no worries getting around Banff on foot, (again, unless it’s negative 30 and the wind’s blowing you over) but there’s also a bus that runs up the main street very regularly.

The long winter season’s definitely a selling point for me too, but I’ve heard Summer is just as awesome in Banff so I’m just as keen to experience that too!

Hey Phedder,

I lived in Banff for a summer ( a long time ago)

The season is long - I remember arriving in late April and the resorts were still open and there was snow still in town.

Banff is an interesting area in regards, to Jobs and Accommodation.

Lake Louise for example can not offer you a job without a firm housing option for you. So if you already have accom sorted in Banff it will help you secure a job at Lake Louise. But it is a fair distance from the resort!

An idea might be to reach out to the volunteer fire crew at Sunshine saying you would be interested in joining the if you get over there… they may offer to help you secure accom and or a job.

Housing costs in Banff were expensive and a lot of families rent our basements/spare rooms to people for extra cash.

Accomodation is something that is very much on the minds of Banff residents and there is a lot of government assistance in this regard (which i haven’t heard of in Whistler even thought accom is hard there as well)

Thanks for the input guys, Jackson I’ll have to hit you up after you’ve done the season to see what you think! Are you working for one of the resorts or in the town?

Ozgirl, the volunteering will definitely be highlighted on my application to sunshine and brought up in the interview if I get one. I’m also pretty sure that Lake Louise Skifield has staff accommodation on or near the mountain, and there is the small town of Lake Louise so I don’t think I’d actually be living in Banff itself if I ended up working there.

I lived in Banff for 6 months during the 02/03 season. When i was there i taught snowboarding for lake Louise which was pretty decent. I haven’t spent much if anytime at the other mountains but definitely would choose either the Lake or Sunshine.
Both mountains have a lot of back country and park options last i saw. Both very nice to ride all around!
The bonus about working at sunshine is how close you are to Banff!
Lake Louise is about 45 minutes by bus or car but you cant walk and when i was there if you missed the bus then hitch hiking was your option.
Maybe check to see what the annual snowfall has been between the two mountains… They are far enough away that one can get snow and the other won’t.
The pow was always bone dry at both mountains accept the odd warm storm.. When those come in Sunshine gets pretty darn foggy!

Hope that helps a bit!

Hey mate,

I did a few days at Sunshine while I worked at Marmot this last season (14/15). The two hills are owned by the same mob so I got to snowboard there for free. Sunshine is an awesome hill and is heaps of fun. Park is awesome and lots of different terrain to shred, from real easy stuff on the strawberry chair to some gnarly steep stuff on the goats eye. Last I heard they were adding a new chair to open up even more terrain. It can be a little flat for a snowboarder so there are spots where you have to keep your speed up.

The’ve also got some decent on hill accom as well and is only 25mins from Banff and from what I heard, the staff loved living on the hill. From memory, Sunshine was open until mid may this year and first day of the season was roughly the same time as us in mid November if not a few days earlier so the season is quite long.
The drive there is real easy as well as there isn’t any climbing of hills.

hope that gives you a better idea

Phedder - 07 October 2015 12:03 PM

Thanks for the input guys, Jackson I’ll have to hit you up after you’ve done the season to see what you think! Are you working for one of the resorts or in the town?

Ozgirl, the volunteering will definitely be highlighted on my application to sunshine and brought up in the interview if I get one. I’m also pretty sure that Lake Louise Skifield has staff accommodation on or near the mountain, and there is the small town of Lake Louise so I don’t think I’d actually be living in Banff itself if I ended up working there.

I think you may have misinterpreted my post!

I was sayign contact the Lake Louise Firefighters NOW.

Lake Louise by law must provide you with staff accom when giving you a job. So they basically hire anyone who already lives locally or has somewhere to stay already orgnaised.

So if you can organise your own accom in Banff (they have staff shuttles from Banff so a LOT of people do live in Banff and work at Lake Louise) you are more likely to get hired by LL

Banff National Park is more restrictive than Kozi in this regard which is why there are so many rules the resort need to stick to.

So get in with the voli fire crew early! They may have contacts that will help you secure paid employment and/or accomodation.